Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
⚡ IONIQ 5, RWD LR - Cyber Gray
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

After 15min on our way home from a trip to the Ardèche (France) my youngest didn't feel great. It was downhill/uphill and a lot of turning but we did it all week without problems but I guess the combination of leaving early and only some milk on his stomach made him throw up. Half on the car seat but the other half on the back seat sadly.

Luckily we had some bottled water in the car left and after changing his outfit and washing my son we cleared as much sour milk from the car seat and back seat as possible.
We still have some spots left but its the smell that is bothering us (especially if the car has been standing in the sun).

What product would you use to clean this?

Another thing we noticed is that all the inside plastic got really dirty (whiteish smudges) when you clean it off with water is nice and black again but after drying the stripes are back. Same on the outside trim to be honest.

Picture of the sort of interior we have:
Automotive design Fixture Automotive exterior Asphalt Vehicle door

Picture of the smudges (sorry took picture in the garage and the lowlight conditions made the picture blurred)
Bumper Automotive design Hood Grille Automotive tire

Picture of the outside trim (doors especially but wheel arches too)
Wheel Tire Car Sky Land vehicle

The trip was great but the car suffered a lot sadly...

Got some stone chippings and it bounced from the bumper to the plastic part next to the right headlight causing a crack 😫

Window Door Automotive lighting Sky Rectangle

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry this happened to you. For upholstery, sprinkle a thick layer of baking soda on the area and leave it overnight. Vacuum it up the next day and it should go some way into drawing out the smell.
A great idea about the baking soda, atm we only have the crystals which are a bit to rough I think. We use it to clean the sink, if it stinks. Will buy the power soon and try it on a small part first, don't know if it will affect the colour or textile.
P.S. That last picture is funny not funny! It looks like you're holding your head in your hand. Hope you're able to get your car smelling great again.
Haha, you're talking about the reflection I guess. If I remember it's more of a facepalm while making the picture while releasing a big sigh. 😢

Anyone else an idea on how to recondition the black plastics? I guess I should look for a matt interior plastic spray and matte exterior plastic spray.
You find things like tyre shine but atm no luck to recondition the plastics part.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happened with my child in our old car. Luckily most of it got into his car seat and the seat protector prevented most of it getting into the seat. Doesn’t help now, but highly recommend getting some seat protectors.

I used:
Sonax Interior shampoo
Wet/dry vacuum cleaner
Warm water

Spray on the shampoo, using a microfiber cloth or a soft brush, agitate it with warm water and then vacuum as much water out as possible. Need to repeat this a few times.
When googling I came across this method quite a lot but I've looked and can't really hire a wet/dry vacuum cleaner and buying one for a one time use seems very expensive.
Didn't expect to need a seat protector my children are 5 and 7 and never ever threw up in the car before. Had protection in my previous car and never needed it but I guess murphy...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I meant the reflected face palm! It absolutely made me laugh. And I needed a laugh (so thank you).

About the interior, this is what I used and it's worked for me:
Glad I could make you smile! A smile really works wonders if you're down or facing (mental) health problems.
Also thanks for the product recommendation, I'll take a look around if I can find it in Belgium or similar one.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts