Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an impression that best way to recover energy is by paddle shifters with different levels .
But I noticed that with Level 0, and pressing on brake pedal, I achieve higher regenerative breaking!, more bars on the screen than with paddles.
So Ioniq is engaging the regeneration first and then physical breaks at the end.
It took me 2000KM to understand that.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I get the impression the paddles are a solution in search of a function...>:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm using an "ECO setting" level 3 on Regen.
My driving around town is lots of stop & go's. About 15-20 miles of travel each time car leaves the house.
If coming to a full stop, I let the regen. slow the car then the last 15' or so of travel use pedal braking to stop.
This results in a efficiency rating of ~5.7 kWh.

So, if disabling regen. and using pedal braking, will my efficiency increase?
What about increased brake wear?
:confused:

TIA

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I'm using an "ECO setting" level 3 on Regen.
My driving around town is lots of stop & go's. About 15-20 miles of travel each time car leaves the house.
If coming to a full stop, I let the regen. slow the car then the last 15' or so of travel use pedal braking to stop.
This results in a efficiency rating of ~5.7 kWh.

So, if disabling regen. and using pedal braking, will my efficiency increase?
What about increased brake wear?
:confused:

TIA
Brake wear is negligible, so any impact is likely too small to notice unless you're descending steep hills every day! :laugh:

And the advice is always `try it and see`. It's down to style of driving, roads driven on, traffic en route and slopes!

Empirically regen is inefficient, but it's `free` energy. Most efficient is coasting and light-footed use of the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks, will try it out.

"Most efficient is coasting and light-footed use of the accelerator pedal."
In the state of FL? Id have a lot of rear end damage ;) Both car and myself:p

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Thanks, will try it out.

"Most efficient is coasting and light-footed use of the accelerator pedal."
In the state of FL? Id have a lot of rear end damage ;) Both car and myself:p
I know what you mean, last time I was in Florida I was travelling down from Silver Springs towards Kissemee approaching
a crossroads there were cars moving in all directions, at the last minute I notice red lights in front of me, they were so high they were out of my line of sight. Emergency stop was required. In UK traffic lights are about 8ft from ground on poles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it better to go in regeneration mode 0 and brake than to go in regeneration mode 0 and then set regeneration mode 3 to brake? :eek:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Is it better to go in regeneration mode 0 and brake than to go in regeneration mode 0 and then set regeneration mode 3 to brake? :eek:
Depends. Road conditions and slope; starting speed; traffic; deceleration rate required etc.

Generally brakes stop a car, not regeneration. Because the car uses the brake pedal to access both there's no fixed answer to your question.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My experience is that using the brake pedal is no different to using the regen paddles but a lot more variation, not just 3 settings. Brakes never seem to come on except for the final stop or with harsh braking. Regen works well going down steep hills when it will hold a stable speed. Alternatively just set the cruise control to your desired speed and it should do the regen braking for you however steep the hill, yet to be tried. Different ways to achieve the same end point.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There's no need to do both. The foot pedal operates like an analog regen setting. The only difference between the two is that if you hit a pot hole or a bump on the road, the system disengages regen completely if you use the foot pedal and uses the brake discs.

If you just going down a steep hill for a while I'd just set the regen to a level where the car won't accelerate beyond reason. It's easier than keeping your foot depressed for a long time.

The only thing I'd avoid is having regen level 3 on all the time for some faux "one-pedal" driving experience. That'd be less efficient over all compared to just leaving the regen at 0 and brake only as necessary.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
The only thing I'd avoid is having regen level 3 on all the time for some faux "one-pedal" driving experience. That'd be less efficient over all compared to just leaving the regen at 0 and brake only as necessary.
Can you not find a middle pedal position to coast or decrease speed without regeneration?

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Yes theoretically that should be possible. But it will require effort to be sure you exactly have the right point

·
Registered
57 Posts
IIRC, that is exactly where the i3 has one of his strengths/ advantages compared to the ioniq (I would love for hyundai to copy this behavior on regen 3)
With the i3 it is very clear that when you release the accelerator slightly it starts coasting, when releasing more regen kicks in... even up to a stop.
For me, BMW implemented this perfectly... I wonder how much alike the new Nissan Leaf is, I think I read somewhere it has even stronger regen than the i3 (not really a necessity in normal traffic)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Can you not find a middle pedal position to coast or decrease speed without regeneration?
Needs a level of micro-control over pedal position few can muster because of seamlessness of the transition from regen to actual braking.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
IIRC, that is exactly where the i3 has one of his strengths/ advantages compared to the ioniq (I would love for hyundai to copy this behavior on regen 3)
With the i3 it is very clear that when you release the accelerator slightly it starts coasting, when releasing more regen kicks in... even up to a stop.
For me, BMW implemented this perfectly... I wonder how much alike the new Nissan Leaf is, I think I read somewhere it has even stronger regen than the i3 (not really a necessity in normal traffic)
The Leaf touts its single pedal operation but logically - and I have no empirical evidence for this - either regen or coasting must suffer. Probably coasting. :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Needs a level of micro-control over pedal position few can muster because of seamlessness of the transition from regen to actual braking.
Actually there are two transition points in the accelerator position: from driving via coasting to regeneration, and another one from regeneration to braking. Both may be not so easy to sense.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sport mode and regen 0

After driving my new car for 2 weeks I have settled for sport mode and regen 0. That gives me the most flexibility without having to change any settings. One reason for this is that I learned how to save fuel by coasting when I was driving a SAAB V4 long time ago. Another reason that this works great for me is that I always break with my left foot, have done that for the past 35 years. I learned that rally style of driving with a SAAB 99 I had for many years. I have mainly had manual shift cars and I also then had to learn quick shift without using the clutch. I must say that after 35 years I'm pretty good at it. So getting rid of the clutch and be able to easily coast now suits me perfect.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Got to be a dumb question but where/what are the brake regen paddles? my plug-in only has the gear change paddles! are we talking same ones? nothing in owners manual about brake regen paddles.
a confused Tony

1 - 20 of 40 Posts