Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions for IONIQ hybrid owners.

I've seen the gauge in sports mode has the redline at 6500 RPM, but the transmission will shift at 5000 in
. I thought when in "S" mode, you would be able to drive the IONIQ almost like a manual transmission car without a clutch pedal that downshifts before stalling and upshifts at redline, but upshifting at 5000 RPM seems to be quite intrusive to me.

Is there a way or setting to make the IONIQ transmission do what I want and intervene the least?

If you enjoy driving manual cars, how does the "S" mode in the IONIQ work for you?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I use it very little,

but you actually have 3 driving modes

"ECO" = full auto for maximum economy, the car changes gear asap to achieve max economy

"SPORT" = full auto for performance, throttle pedal movement for that same amount of power roughly halves, the hybrid system uses a more aggressive map to use EV power more for instant go, and more aggressive charging so you have EV power available as much as possible, gear changes are at higher rpm so more torque and power are used from the ICE

"SPORT + manual gear change" = same map as sport, but you can tell the gearbox when to change gear by nudging the gear selector forward to change up, or back to change down, I am not sure if the max rpm in a gear is different in sport + manual as opposed to plain sport

I guess I have to go play later :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
It looks like it was a couple seconds quicker to 100kph in sport mode; ~13 sec vs ~11 sec. The Ioniq doesn't exactly set your hair on fire but that should be quick enough to get on the freeway. If you could get the shifting to occur at redline you could probably shave another second or so off the time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is a gear indication in both modes just to the right of speedo in the upper right quadrant. D1, D2, D3, etc. and S1, S2, S3, etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In Sport mode with the gear number displayed it also gives an indication it it feels you should change up to a higher gear or down to a lower gear by also showing up and down arrows.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The 0-62 speed of the Ioniq is awful compared to the 7.2 seconds of the BMW. However I really don't think any of us here bought the Ioniq to do drag races in.

246 lbs/ft torque will get you to safe motorway speeds soon enough.

I will just be glad to reduce my co2 n2o pollution whilst cutting fuel cost too.

Then later in I'll get a tesla model 3 or s and play boy racer lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some pf the videos on YouTube show only D or S on the dashboard. Is there an option in the setup or do UK spec cars get the gear shown as well?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did wonder if that would be the case. It's a shame really because you never need both at the same time and with a digital dash, it should be easy to select which speed unit is relevant depending where you are driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So can anybody owning the hybrid confirm if it allows you to actually shift whenever you want, or it still upshifts at 5000 RPM no matter what?

·
Registered
134 Posts
In the video that Anon2048 posted the display shows the gears as D1, D2, D3 or S1, S2, S3 etc. however on my display it only shows D or S but when I manually change gear in Sports mode the gear displayed only shows as 1 or 2 or 3 and not S1, S2, S3. Is this due to having selected a different screen display option or differences between various country versions of the car? I normally select the digital MPH display to be shown on the small display to the right of the main speedometer/rev counter on the dashboard.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
mine only shows "S" or "D" when in normal sport or eco mode

I get the gear number and change recommendation if I manual shift in sport,

and in manual mode it changes up just under 5000 rpm regardless of how hard my foot is on the loud pedal or trying to push it through the floor

·
Registered
344 Posts
So that's pretty upsetting. I mean.. it's not like it's something I would be utilizing quite often but sometimes you just want to have some fun safely, that kind of kills it a bit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
bumping this because I just read in the US manual that the gear indication display can be turned on and off in the settings menu.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm really interested on this topic, i'll post my instrument cluster with same test as you this weekend. I would like to share with others this because i take my IONIQ HEV to a dealer for some issue with SCC, but i think they modify the gear change rpm, because now i feel my car in eco or EV that take too much changing gears. In Sport mode i made this test.
Stop the car, switch to SPORT mode, then with the car stop, shift down and you will see how The S on instrument cluster show 1 ( first gear), the accelerate full speed and don't change the gear, let the car do it ( Hyundai said that even in SPORT-Manual mode the car is protected to switch to the next gear if you do not pay attention to the up arrow.
My issue is that after i've been taken the car to the dealer, in SPORT-MANUAL mode the car does not change easily , some times over 5k rpm. Someone same with this ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I'm really interested on this topic, i'll post my instrument cluster with same test as you this weekend. I would like to share with others this because i take my IONIQ HEV to a dealer for some issue with SCC, but i think they modify the gear change rpm, because now i feel my car in eco or EV that take too much changing gears. In Sport mode i made this test.
Stop the car, switch to SPORT mode, then with the car stop, shift down and you will see how The S on instrument cluster show 1 ( first gear), the accelerate full speed and don't change the gear, let the car do it ( Hyundai said that even in SPORT-Manual mode the car is protected to switch to the next gear if you do not pay attention to the up arrow.
My issue is that after i've been taken the car to the dealer, in SPORT-MANUAL mode the car does not change easily , some times over 5k rpm. Someone same with this ?
Thanks
You can change past 5,000 rpm in manual mode in Sport, but there is little point in doing so as you are far past peak torque and power when you do so.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2017/2453825/hyundai_ioniq_hybrid.html

If you look at the power curve you can see that the peak power is `clipped`and adopts a hard limit just past 4,600 rpm. That's ECU management, right there and you won't get round it by waggling a stick.

Therefore it is utterly pointless to even wish for it to rev higher before gear change. Use of this on the road just wastes what you have as you are further from peak torque and receiving no extra horsepower in return.

I've experimented with manual changes and find little use for it - you might want to hang on to a gear while overtaking, but mostly I'd use manual changes for extreme vertical changes when you might want to keep the car in a lower gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you ! SEvans, you know more than the tech on my dealer, that?s awesome. I?m not using the manual gear on Sport never, I just used to see how the car behave , because I?m still worried about the car after the misterious ?fix? on the dealer. After a phone conversation i?ve Asked - what do you do to my car that I feel the the gear changes (D mode ) are more noticeables than before , as well as consumption , 4.8l/100 (20- 21 L/100) is a bit higher , I?m driving absolutely quite but same happens.

Their answer is - we just reset the DCT learning system , so it will adapt again at your rithm, and also change gears to be less gap between them , ???. Why ? The car was perfect

So now this are the map for gears on sport mode automatic.

1 - 2750 rpm 22 km/h
2 - 3560 rpm 48 km/h
3 - 3650 rpm 78 km/h

All videos I?ve seen change like this

1 - 4900 rpm 40 kmh
2 - 5100 rpm 70 km/h
3 - 5400 rpm 115 km/h
4 - 5600 rpm 175 km/h

I switch to sport to find out what?s going on , I will try to post a video of both sport and eco . The car also when on downhill moving aside the feet from pedals , let it go free , one green bar appear always (regenerative charge ) and this cause the car go slower and loose speed, before I see on the instruments cluster that regenerative was working but without pass the charge bar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts