Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased an Ioniq hybrid (not plug-in) in September 2018, brand new 68 plate. Overall, it is a lovely car and very comfortable to drive.
However, within a few months of owning the car, we started to experience intermittent engine problems. Whilst driving and without warning, the engine orange light would come on (static) as well as the HEV triangle - "check hybrid system". After this happening 4-5 times, and taking it into the shop on these occasions when possible, the engineers finally found out there was a problem with the two hybrid engines 'talking' to each other. This was remedied in August 2019 and the car had been running smoothly.
That was until yesterday, when I turned the car on and the engine orange light came on again (static) with no explanation as to why (no warning signs telling me what to do appeared). I called Hyundai who said breakdown assistance would take a look. I managed to drive it the short distance to my home, in which time the car was lurching as if an invisible force was putting on the brakes gently (not a 'bunny-hop' lurch). The AA man ran diagnostics and discovered there were two unknown faults (codes 047200 and 047100). He didn't know what that meant so we've taken it into the shop again where it's being assessed today to find out what the problem is. All of the usual things (oil, water, radiator) has been checked.
In addition to the engine problems, we also have found on 2-3 occasions (very infrequently) that the speakers will suddenly stop working. This happens when we turn the car on - sound from media, radio and car SatNav doesn't work, although the onscreen system seems fine. If we leave the car for a couple of hours, and start it up again, the sound will reappear. Anyone else had this difficulty?
I am very disappointed by this. This was our first time buying a new car, and we've had more problems with it than the other 3 second-hand cars we've owned put together. Has anyone else experienced these type of engine difficulties? Has anyone else had those fault codes listed above?
Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The dealership have told me that the problem with my car was it needed a software update. This doesn't reassure me. So will my car play up and need to go into the shop every time software needs updating? Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
714 Posts
I believe your dealer is BS'ing you. It may need a software upgrade, but the car was functioning fine on the old software, so why now did it start acting up. It's not like it's connected to Hyundai and knows that new software is waiting. And even if it was, I'm sure that a better error message could have been thought of, instead of the orange HEV light and weird lurching. No, something else is wrong.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I agree with @Ou Boet that the dealer is BS'ing you, IMO now you need a second opinion, perhaps try another dealer who will have different techs, since not all techs are equal in their Hybrid experience or expertise.

There is a member in Norway @Madking92 who is a Hyundai tech and commented in an unrelated 2018 thread Brake Issue
or perhaps someone else may have a better idea for helping you along or have experience with another Ioniq dealer in your area to refer you to.

In a nutshell though, I certainly wouldn't rely solely on this dealer, get a second opinion.

Good luck and do keep us all posted.

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
there was an update to the ECU to resolve a rough running issue, but I doubt that is the issue

we have had a few camshaft position sensor issues, which could be possible, and a few injector issues requiring a full set of injectors replaced

where abouts in the UK are you? which dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your replies.
I contacted the dealership yesterday and asked when I could collect the car - they said that the engine light had come on again when one of the techs was driving it back to the dealership, so it wasn't a software problem, as I suspected. They still have the car and are investigating further, and have now raised it to Hyundai. There is something wrong with this car - the first of the engine problems starting November 2018, 2 months after we bought it new and outright. I'm hoping to be honest that they don't find out what's wrong with it as that would give us leverage to ask for a new car - it was bought with a fault that has now required 5 additional trips to the dealership for investigations, not what I would expect from a new car. I plan to ask them your question, Ou Boet, and also whether they have had any other Ioniq hybrids with the same number of problems. If not, again that could provide evidence that our car is faulty, and we would like a replacement.
Our dealership is in Stratford-upon-Avon. A second opinion I agree would be valuable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update - the engineer discovered that a sensor that detects the car's omissions was faulty and needed replacing (sorry I don't know the more technical term for this) I still don't feel this fully explains the lurching sensation I got when driving it, but I don't understand cars enough to question this with them
I've collected the car today and engine light has gone off and car seems to be running smoothly. Time will tell!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hopefully that's got it sorted out. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the update and 'fingers crossed' for the longevity of the repair.

I don't think I would relish trying to work on and repair an Ioniq hybrid after say 8 years ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts