Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Recalls/Common faults/Upgrades

20K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  melhoss 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

Thought it would be good to list all recalls/common issues/upgrades available so far at one place. This will help me push the dealer to get these checked/addressed before delivery and sure will help others too.

Some items I know of:

1. Media unit replacement / recall
2. Brake binding issue
3. Squeaky noise from front door (both?)
4. Software upgrades
5. Battery issue - PCB?
6. The Netherlands for EV models: The charging cable (normal, not the trickle charger) had to be checked the last time I had my car in. (pmideld)
7. Any others??

Pls feel free to add / correct to the above list. Thanks. 0:)

#2 ·
issue 1 :- only affects early models less than an hour in workshop (min was abut 30 minutes)

issue 2 :- return spring replacement on rear calipers, currently a known issue, waiting to see if it get turned into a recall

issue 3 :- squeaky door is an easy fix, a bit of silicon spray / rubber lubricant applied to the big bit of rubber on the inside of the door just in front of the wing mirror and the paint it closes onto

issue 4 :- currently only software upgrade is to fix carplay echo issue, (also includes map update to nav sytem)

issue 5 :- battery issue, current fix is to replace PCB in fuse box which contains the fuel pump sensor / control circuitry (waiting to see if it turns into a recall)

no other issues so far

#5 ·
There is another recall, at least for The Netherlands for th EV models: The charging cable (normal, not the trickle charger) had to be checked the last time I had my car in. There seem to be around "less good" ones (like my dealer said it).

I also have the squeaky door at the driver's side.

#6 ·
Wow I'm so lucky... don't want to jinx it but I've had no problem with mine at all. No squeaky doors, dodgy batteries or brakes.. and I e already put 4000 miles on it.

Let's hope it stays that way! >.<

Reactions: Peter
#16 ·
map update, roads not updated since november 2015

I had the recall for the media center. To my surprise all settings were lost. So no more favorites. Don't think you can save settings. Should be on the todo list for Hyundai.
I waited for the latest map update before going to the dealer for the recall. The new map is at least two years behind. Rather surprising.

I use a Ford focus for work. Then you feel the quality of the Ioniq satnav. It is much more responsive and better designed. The Focus is very slow and laggy. To my surprise the Ford system did a full restart while I was driving!

I could say something about the high petrol consumption of the Ford. But I was driving in Germany. A bit faster than I would with my Ioniq0:)

#17 ·
media unit recall is a complete swap on the media unit, not just a firmware upgrade,
there don't seem to be any way to save data off the unit prior to swap

also all map data (previous destinations, favourite places) as well as Bluetooth pairings etc

#18 ·
There are reports of faulty chargers or chargeports...
If its more or less than other brands i dont know, i know it happens sometimes, to all...

Ppl cant charge on CCS or Type2 or at home.
Ppl are trying 3 different ways of charging and no go.
No confirmed solution or why it happenes, cars have to go to dealer. "Dead charger"
It can be a fysical thing that cabel cant lock into chargeport on car, or the onboard-charger..

#20 ·
Well, its mostly norwegian forum and facebook i have seen it.

Norwegian : A person who cant get the cabel to lock to car for charging, have tried all 3.
Gets 3x "bzz" (cant llock to cargeport)
Ioniq lader ikke

Norwegian : A person who can not get home-charger to work, also tried a Salto charger at the dealer, didnt work.
Had to change ocb(?), hole brai/main part, cost almost 10.000euros (ofc covered by hyundai)
Bilen lader ikke

#21 ·
issue 2 :- return spring replacement on rear calipers, currently a known issue, waiting to see if it get turned into a recall

What does that actually sound like?
I have been having an issue with a strange noise from the brake system. It primarily is coming from the drivers side front and sounds like a valve opening and closing, or something hydraulic not operating correctly. You can hear it and feel it whether the car is on or off. I brought it to my Hyundai dealer and they had it for over a week with no fix. Basically they gave me the car back and stated that they do not have a fix for it. They opened a case with Hyundai and that's it. I was kind of taken back when they said here is your new car back with a issue we acknowledge is there but we cant fix it for you. Does anyone else have this issue? Very frustrated with Hyundai

#23 ·
Issue 2 :- return spring replacement on rear calipers, currently a known issue, waiting to see if it get turned into a recall

Just before Christmas my PHEV (6.8k Miles) has developed a rough grinding noise from the rear near side wheel only as you press the brake pedal when moving slowly forward or reverse, it actually sounds like the noise you get when driving a vehicle with rusty disks after its been standing a while which normally disappears after a few pushes on the brake pedal as you drive.
Its booked in for Friday 12th for investigation but i'm wondering if it could be Issue 2.

#26 ·
yep, they halp prevent the "clunk" when you pull away after the car being parked up for some time (usually in damp conditions) as the return springs on the rear callipers aren't strong enough to free the pads from the disks when the parking brake is release in some conditions
@chunga68 had this done some time back if memory is correct

#27 ·
yep, they halp prevent the "clunk" when you pull away after the car being parked up for some time (usually in damp conditions) as the return springs on the rear callipers aren't strong enough to free the pads from the disks when the parking brake is release in some conditions

@chunga68 had this done some time back if memory is correct
You are correct as usual and it worked a treat ;)

#28 ·
Well this is my list so far:

1. "clunk" parking brake sound on

2. "clicking" brake pedal pressing sound on
3. some strange plastic "crrrrrr" sound coming from the ventilation area, I think in windscreen blowing direction mode, but diagnostics for the source still in progress

#29 · (Edited)
In my case 1. was cured by replacement of the spring mentioned by bluecar
2. I've never had that problem
3. I had a weird noise coming from the ventilation area once, turned out a leaf had got into ventilation system . May not be your problem but worth a check ;)

#30 ·
The only two issues I've had so far is that when I spray the windshield washer fluid, I can smell it coming in through the vents. If I turn re-circulate on then it's not as bad. But it's there. And the other is some strange whistling noise in the back seat area. I need someone to ride back there to see where it's coming from. Either that or bring it in for the techs to look at.

#31 ·
I'm seeing an issue with my Ioniq Electric. The wheel speed sensor gradually stopped reporting speed and that led to a whole lot of error codes on the dashboard: no ABS, no DSC, reduced braking, no regen. Had it replaced by the dealer under warranty, and two days later a second one started failing. Seems like a manufacturing defect for that part according to the dealer. Waiting on parts to arrive in country now, and meanwhile driving really careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.