Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about me being a bit slow but I have had my Hybrid version for two weeks and have just noticed that it doesn't have a rear windscreen wiper! Admittedly it hasn't rained for a few weeks but I was just sat in the car playing - my most used expression to my wife at the moment is 'If you want me I'll be in the car, playing!!'. It was on one of these playtimes that I had the manual out and was going through it page by page and got to the 'Wipers' section. It was only then that I realised there weren't any switches for it . I even got out of the car and walked to the back to double check!! It's not a problem or a complaint....just an observation. Does anyone miss their rear windscreen wiper (my I30 had auto-wipers on the front plus a rear one).?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Talk about me being a bit slow but I have had my Hybrid version for two weeks and have just noticed that it doesn't have a rear windscreen wiper! Admittedly it hasn't rained for a few weeks but I was just sat in the car playing - my most used expression to my wife at the moment is 'If you want me I'll be in the car, playing!!'. It was on one of these playtimes that I had the manual out and was going through it page by page and got to the 'Wipers' section. It was only then that I realised there weren't any switches for it . I even got out of the car and walked to the back to double check!! It's not a problem or a complaint....just an observation. Does anyone miss their rear windscreen wiper (my I30 had auto-wipers on the front plus a rear one).?
I certainly do miss the wipers. It's rained and the already severely restricted view from the rear window is now very very poor. I can't imagine why (except perhaps for the aerodynamics), such an expensive car does not have what virtually every other car has as a standard fitment. It has become something of a competition as we travel along the road to see who can find the most cars without rear wipers. Some journeys is a 0-0 draw.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The lower section of the rear window doesn't ever seem to get wet on mine, and remains clear. The upper section retains water droplets in much the same way as a saloon car with a boot (but without a wiper) does - not really an issue.

The only problem I can see it causing is if you wanted to fit a rear dash cam - one would need to fit it to the lower section, which may not be ideal.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
The lower section of the rear window doesn't ever seem to get wet on mine, and remains clear. The upper section retains water droplets in much the same way as a saloon car with a boot (but without a wiper) does - not really an issue.

The only problem I can see it causing is if you wanted to fit a rear dash cam - one would need to fit it to the lower section, which may not be ideal.
Agreed , the lower section does mostly stay clear on mine . I was little concerned at first , like titch I hadn't noticed the lack of rear wiper when I purchased the Ioniq , but I can't say that I've had any rear view issues 5000 miles in

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
give the car a good polish, put rain-x or similar coating on the two sections of the rear window, job done, water stream off the top section over about 30-40 mph and once moving not an issue, bottom section (and camera) suffer with spray in bad weather, but in reality you don't really use the bottom section

·
Registered
65 Posts
We had a deluge here over the weekend (~5"/~12cm of rain in two days) and when driving in heavy rain, I noticed that the upper portion stays fairly clear due to air stream, whereas the lower section gets a lot of spray and is hard to see through. My SOs 2015 Prius has a rear window wiper, but I don't recall us ever having needed to use it... I guess leaving out the rear wiper is one of the little ways Hyundai is trying to save money to undercut the Prius pricing, and I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The left out quite a few things. Remote start for one thing. If it is available on Bluelink, then why not on the FOB?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe if you're used to driving a Lotus Europa... ;) :D
I actually remember those. My school teacher owned a Lotus Europa Special done up in the JPS livery.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I see the opposite on mine - Upper stays clear, it's the bottom that seems to catch the dirty road spray. Think I will invest in some Rain-X as after I've had the car cleaned and waxed it is noticeable how much faster the rear clears, and it's at 30 rather than 40 mph. Soon wears off, though.

Generally though, I put the heated rear screen on and it's quick to clear.

What does need a wiper or a clean spray in those circumstances though is the rear camera. It gets grimy after motorway journeys and needs a wipe - I keep a microfiber in the boot just to clean the lower screen and the camera lens.

Reactions: Alex

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
snip...

What does need a wiper or a clean spray in those circumstances though is the rear camera. It gets grimy after motorway journeys and needs a wipe - I keep a microfiber in the boot just to clean the lower screen and the camera lens.
yep I keep a roll is kitchen roll in the boot for this as well as wiping the lights off in bad weather

one thing I have noticed in the winter was it didn't seem to take too much dirt on the headlight to noticeably reduce the light output

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yeah noticed the same on the New Forest roads which stay wet a lot longer than the main roads, suggesting keeping the lenses clean and scratch-free may be a good investment for owners - my Skoda Fabia VRS is terrible for this with yellowing of the lenses seriously compromising lighting penetration and spread at night.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My previous car, 2012 Prius, had the rear wiper which I used. To be quite honest, I don't really miss it at all on the Ioniq. MOST USA cars do not have a rear wiper. I use Rain-X on the rear windshield (top and bottom) and have found that not having a wiper is no problem whatsoever. Even without the Rain-X there is no problem, but the Rain-X does allow the water to roll off a little more freely.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah noticed the same on the New Forest roads which stay wet a lot longer than the main roads, suggesting keeping the lenses clean and scratch-free may be a good investment for owners - my Skoda Fabia VRS is terrible for this with yellowing of the lenses seriously compromising lighting penetration and spread at night.
Yes our old Toyota Rav4 had eternally yellowing lenses too......I bought one of those lens polishing kits for that which did a great job...the recommendation for bad lenses was to rub them down with the emery cloth and polish back out...never quite dared do that...preferred the once a year normal polish before the MOT approach :)

As for the rear wiper...Ive done 5000 miles now and cant say I miss it either...I also have rain-x but never get round to cleaning the windows and putting it on :) Must do really...but shows how little an issue it is...I do find the wing mirrors give excellent visibilty and if the rear is wet and obscured in the morning really dont have any problems just using the wing mirrors for a bit...also sometimes its the bottom half and sometimes the top thats obscured...depends on conditions

·
Registered
26 Posts
give the car a good polish, put rain-x or similar coating on the two sections of the rear window, job done, water stream off the top section over about 30-40 mph and once moving not an issue, bottom section (and camera) suffer with spray in bad weather, but in reality you don't really use the bottom section
That's a great tip. I have rain-x'd all my windows on my new Ioniq (I am a long term convert to this stuff). Water runs off windscreen without wipers at speed and the side windows stay clear. Rear lower screen also clearer too when wet. In the dry the bug splats are easier to clean off too.

Tip - If applying for the first time apply a clay bar to the windows to clean off embedded grease and road film first. Makes such a difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the topic of rear wipers..

I'm missing mine, but I suspec I'll get over it in time :)

On the topic of Rain-X - it seems to come in 'pure' form, and also with window cleaner mixed in.

Any advice on the best kind from anyone?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the pure form is for applying after you have thoroughly cleaned the glass, the window cleaner one is for adding to your washer bottle in theory to keep the coating "topped up" when you use you use the washers on the windscreen / windshield (depending which side of the pond you are :) )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts