Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well good old british weather today, cold and raining

first drive in wet weather

front wipers do a good job and clear a good portion of the front screen with no critical areas left unswept

the rear window, the top section clears well under normal driving, the lower section is badly affected by spray clinging to the glass, (not got any Rain-X on it yet)

the other thing the front screen demists really quick due to the heating being electric, I had warm air within half a mile to help clear the screen,

one niggle about the front screen demist, when you shutdown the car then come back to it later it remembers you had the demist on but goes back to aircon and hi fan speed even if you turned it down prior

but the rear screen heater don't do a good job as it seems to take a long time to clear the screen compared to other cars I have had

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks, bluecar1.

I think these are exactly the kinds of real-world observations that are most useful to potential Ioniq buyers.

Looking forward to many more as you put your car through its paces.

Will you take questions???

Cheers,

Terry

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, bluecar1.

I think these are exactly the kinds of real-world observations that are most useful to potential Ioniq buyers.

Looking forward to many more as you put your car through its paces.

Will you take questions???

Cheers,

Terry
yep, Questions welcome

I am posting stuff as I think, if you have any specific questions let me know

I have requested an additional sub forum for discussing features like lane keep assist, that works well, had a play earlier, it keeps you fairly central in the lane and takes about 20-30 seconds before it senses you have taken your hands off the wheel

·
Registered
251 Posts
bluecar1,

Hope you're enjoying your new car!

If you wouldn't mind a question: One of the important things about whatever new car I buy is that the cargo area be flat with the rear seats folded so that my wife and I can use it for overnight car-camping trips (we used to backpack a lot, but now we're getting up in age and decrepitude to the point that car-camping is much preferable).

Anyway, we're both relatively short (5' 7" and 5' 4"), and we can stretch out enough to sleep comfortably in our current '04 Prius. Thanks to one of the people on this forum, I know that the length of the Ioniq's cargo area with the seats folded is 60.5", compared with 61" in our Prius, so that should not be a problem.

BUT--is there a step or discontinuity in the flatness of the cargo area at the point where the seats fold? None of the pictures I've seen show it definitively. The rear seat backs don't seem to fold completely flat (based on those pictures), but look like they angle up a little at the front, which should not be an issue. My main concern is that there's a big ledge right about where our hips would go, which would make it difficult to sleep.

Any data or pictures that you have on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ sundayt

the manual tells porkies

here are the photos of the seats down, the is a step about 2 - 2 1/2 inches

the length I the boot with seats down varies from about 65 - 75 inches, the gap at the seat back to top of folded seat varies from about 12-22 inches depending on where the front seats are set

you can also see what I mean about the thickness of the boot floor and the gaps around the spare wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
bluecar1,

Thanks a lot for the info and the pictures.

All I can say is "Ouch!" This is quite disappointing, especially since other photos that I've seen, such as the one attached, show what appears to be a flat load floor.

I guess I can build a plywood ramp or something to eliminate the big ledge, but d**n--the Ioniq is no longer perfect for me in every respect!

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
bluecar1,

All I can say is "Ouch!" This is quite disappointing, especially since other photos that I've seen, such as the one attached, show what appears to be a flat load floor.

I guess I can build a plywood ramp or something to eliminate the big ledge, but d**n--the Ioniq is no longer perfect for me in every respect!
In some markets it seems to be sold with this flat floor. And then there's some inset underneath the cargo floor, search youtube for BB Cars' review on the Ioniq (sorry cannot post links) starting around 19:00. Maybe you can get this inset via some informal channels. Hopefully your dealer is eager enough to organize it if you make it clear that you won't buy anything without this.

See also pictures from Malaysia - search for paultan.org and his post "Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid officially previewed in Malaysia" of Nov 10th 2016 -> pictures 25 and 26

For me, actually, I see it as a big advantage that the floor is not unnecessarily raised because I'll hardly ever use the large cargo area with folded seats. I am definitely more interested in maximum volume with seats up and I was more worrying whether the floor cover would still fit if I removed this inset.

Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts
bluecar1,

Yeah, I suspect you're right about that.

Oh, well, it is what it is. The '17 Prius that I was originally close to ordering before I learned what an "Ioniq" was has the same problem of the big step in the cargo area floor (some versions, anyway). If I'm gonna have to figure out a way to live with that less-than-ideal configuration, I'd much rather do so in an Ioniq, which seems better in so many other respects, than in a Prius.

Or I could buy an SUV--but that's just not me.

Thanks again for the help, and enjoy!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks, moose.

I agree, we almost never use the cargo area of our Prius with the seats folded. But on those relatively rare occasions when we do, to sleep overnight in, the flatter the floor is, the better.

I'm already conceptualizing a wide, shallow, tapered, doorstop-like plywood insert to fair the Ioniq's ledge into the rest of the floor when we need the space on car-camping trips. Maybe I'll even cover it with matching auto carpet...

Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
bluecar1, maybe the tray should have been included with your car but wasn't. You should show this video the dealer and see what kind of response you get. Configurations and equipment DO differ from country to country, of course, but still...

I'd bet my next pension check that the tray will NOT, however, be available in the U.S...

·
Registered
164 Posts
the front screen demists really quick due to the heating being electric
Which type of IONIQ are you talking about?
The IONIQ electric has electric heating of course, but does the HYBRID have this as well?

Greets from Holland (same type of weather here)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts