Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
I just bought an Ioniq in the base Blue trim. I love everything about it except for the rear window visibility. I know it's been discussed here before, as I found a few threads about it. My questions are for people who do NOT have the SEL or Limited trims, just the base Blue trim like I have:

• How do you get along with merging, changing lanes -- especially to the right -- and so on, with the rear window being what it is and the thick C-struts in the back? Do you feel a bit unsafe and wish you had the blind spot detection, or is this not a problem for you?
  • Any tips for general driving and getting used to the lack of visibility? (I know about applying Rain-X to the rear window, and will be doing that. I live in CO, where there is new weather about every 15 minutes sometimes, so I'm very aware of the need for proper visibility in rain, hail, snow, whatever.)

Thanks for any input. Looking forward to really driving this thing.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Lowering rear seats helps visibility. Most will just tune out the line given time, it is certainly not going to hide a vehicle in any case. Personally I find replacing inside mirror with a longer slightly curved view helps delete the blind spot. Finally, frequent mirror checks, at least every 30 seconds, keeps you totally aware of who is behind you and where. Especially useful information if you have to make an emergency duck around something unexpected in front of you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the rear view mirror idea. Now I'm curious, could you give me a link to the replacement mirror that you got? It might be a good option if the blind spot really becomes a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Lowering rear seats helps visibility. Most will just tune out the line given time, it is certainly not going to hide a vehicle in any case. Personally I find replacing inside mirror with a longer slightly curved view helps delete the blind spot. Finally, frequent mirror checks, at least every 30 seconds, keeps you totally aware of who is behind you and where. Especially useful information if you have to make an emergency duck around something unexpected in front of you.
Do you mean lower the rear headrests ? And has the Niro got the same split rear window as the Ioniq ?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Blind spot detection is essential in my opinion.
rear window view is rubbish.
What in the world were they thinking when they designed a blind spot all the way across the rear? A really poor design. Using side mirrors is a must.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blind spot detection is essential in my opinion.
rear window view is rubbish.
I just bought the car this week, and am already really starting to regret my purchase. During the test drive, I thought, OK, the rear window is weird, but I'll get used to it. But now I'm thinking that the rear window, combined with the thick struts in the back, are a legitimately serious safety hazard. I don't like simply relying on side mirrors. Feeling depressed now...

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Driven mine for nigh on 3 years and can't say I have an issue with rear visibility . Using the wing ( side ) mirrors in conjunction with the rear view mirror works well for me

·
Registered
881 Posts
I just bought the car this week, and am already really starting to regret my purchase. During the test drive, I thought, OK, the rear window is weird, but I'll get used to it. But now I'm thinking that the rear window, combined with the thick struts in the back, are a legitimately serious safety hazard. I don't like simply relying on side mirrors. Feeling depressed now...
Actually I think drivers that rely soley on rear view are more dangerous and more likely to have an accident than drivers who use their wing mirrors routinely. In my opion the wing mirrors on the Ioniq are very good, and there is nothing that wrong with the rear view either when used in combination with wing mirrors. My previous car was a Mitsubishi L200 truck with a covered back, rear visibility in that was much worse and a car flollowing close behind would be totally invisable. This is not the case in the Ioniq.
The occasion when Blind spot detection really helps is when reversing out of a parking slot with cars on either side. In this situation no matter how good the rear view cars coming from the side cannot be seen and are obscured from view by the ajacent car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I think drivers that rely soley on rear view are more dangerous and more likely to have an accident than drivers who use their wing mirrors routinely. In my opion the wing mirrors on the Ioniq are very good, and there is nothing that wrong with the rear view either when used in combination with wing mirrors. My previous car was a Mitsubishi L200 truck with a covered back, rear visibility in that was much worse and a car flollowing close behind would be totally invisable. This is not the case in the Ioniq.
The occasion when Blind spot detection really helps is when reversing out of a parking slot with cars on either side. In this situation no matter how good the rear view cars coming from the side cannot be seen and are obscured from view by the ajacent car.
Oh, I never SOLELY use the rear view. I use the mirrors, too. But this car has some pretty concerning visibility issues (and this is on a clear day), I need to feel like I'm not blind when I'm changing lanes. Especially making a right lane change.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Oh, I never SOLELY use the rear view. I use the mirrors, too. But this car has some pretty concerning visibility issues (and this is on a clear day), I need to feel like I'm not blind when I'm changing lanes. Especially making a right lane change.
Well using my wing mirrors I find I have all the visibility I need.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have the base model Ioniq. My previous car was a Honda Civic. The view thru its rear window seemed wide open compared to the Ioniq. So I was a little concerned about visibility when I got the Ioniq initially. But it has not been a problem at all. Sure blind spot detection would be nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

·
Registered
2019 IONIQ HEV Blue Trim | Ceramic White/Charcoal
165 Posts
Longtime habit for me to back into spaces or pull through if angled since you have a clear view of hazards when pulling in and same when pulling out. Plus I honestly am a bit paranoid when backing out with potential cross traffic due to visibility issues. Yes, because the world is in perpetual hurry up mode, someone gets inconvenienced by the maneuver but hey, so are the lead-footers behind when I’m coasting to the 5th consecutive red light.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maybe I just need practice, I don't know. Thinking about getting a blind spot mirror to attach to the passenger's side mirror.
Theres a trick i learned in driving school where you slide your body and put your head against the window and then adjust your side mirrors and it eliminates all blind spots. it pretty much just pushes out a slight gap of visibility from the edge of the car. probably something only talking about the trick

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Do you mean lower the rear headrests ? And has the Niro got the same split rear window as the Ioniq ?
Nope, lower the rear seats. They fold. That takes the headrests entirely out of the picture. And nope. If it did, it would be exactly the same shape as the Ioniq. Rear headrests interfere with rear vision in all cars, both to the rear and to the sides.

But I've driven a number of cars with split rear windows including owning a CRX. None of them can hide an automobile in the strip. An old Mini wagon (and a number of older British work vehicles and I believe the current Mini Countryman) on the other hand with a vertical split are super annoying. But even most of them hide nothing.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Thanks for the rear view mirror idea. Now I'm curious, could you give me a link to the replacement mirror that you got? It might be a good option if the blind spot really becomes a problem.
I actually have been using the same one I bought 20 years ago. I did notice the exact same model being sold in an auto parts store last year. Had kind of a clumsy metal clamp to attach to existing mirror. I glued it on instead. This one appears similar with a built in clamp versus the separate clamp on mine. Lots to chose from on Amazon. I raise the mirror arm as far as it goes and tilt the mirror accordingly. This give me the best forward view.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Setting up the side mirrors to remove a blind spot is pretty easy and it can be validated with a big blank wall, a helper, and some chalk.

To adjust the mirrors, sit in your seat normally. Then roll your head so the ear on the same side as the mirror you are adjusting touches your shoulder (left for left mirror, right for right). With your head rolled sideways, adjust the mirror until the door handle on the car is at the very edge of the image. Repeat for the other mirror.

Now to validate.

Back up to a big, blank wall about 10 ft (3m) away. Have a help go stand behind the car. Look in the rear view mirror and trace all parts of the wall you can see through the rear view mirror. Now look in the side view and do the same. You should find that there is a tiny bit of overlap, but not much.

Now look in your mirror and have your friend mimic a car as they walk from behind your car towards the front. The moment they are about to exit your mirror you should see them in your peripheral vision.

This works in the Ioniq even with its large C pillars.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts