Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What?

Hello everyone! I decided to mod my Ioniq 5 a bit and install a Gentex full display mirror and see how it would perform. I managed to find the mirror iteself on eBay for much cheaper than usual and figured It'd give it a shot. At the same time I wired my Blackvue DR750X-3CH Plus dashcam. The model number for the mirror is GENFDM3LN.

My main goal with all of this was to have as much be reversable as I could. Some of it, like mounting the rear facing camera for the mirror, will not be reversable in a way that doesn't damage the camera housing. The car would be fine, and only my pride would really be impacted.

I have a limited trim so I made use of the wiring for the homelink mirror and the dongar adapter. I snipped the USB part of the adapter off and added some connectors so I could in theory get it back to previous function if I wanted to. I think this is definitely doable without the homelink mirror, but it was easier to get power to the mirror this way. I think if you had to run wiring for power you might want to run the pwoer and video cables separately (which is recommended in the manual). The process of running wires to the rear should be similar in that case, just on the passenger side.

I'll try to include some images here, but for more details this gallery is your best bet:

Video of a mirror test:

Verdict

I had fun planning this out and installing everything. I went slowly and took my time at each step as I was pretty concerned about damaging my new car. In the end the mirror works well, but I learned that I am indeed more impacted by the dreaded presbyopia than I realized. It takes my eyes a second to adjust to the video on the mirror which can be a bit dissorienting when in motion. It's not the worst, and it is better than nothing during heavy rain, but it should be a consideration if you are over 40ish years old or otherwise have eye issues.

One thing I don't have is a good image/video of performance during the rain. During the initial part of the rainfall the camera works very well. The enclosure prevents any shadowing or reflection and I placed it up high enough it doesn't get a lot of water in the way. After a while it does seem that the area will get wet enough that the occasional drop will be in front of the camera. For the most part this doesn't pose a huge problem as you can still see more of the road than you'd be able to otherwise, but it is notable.

Alternatives

When I was reasearching this I did come accross some posts where people were using mirrors from other vehicles in a much more DIY approach. This could work in our cars as well, but I didn't want to hack at my spoiler to find a spot for the camera. In general the cameras are all coax but the GM ones are larger and don't have great mounting options in our cars.

I came accross options like GM part number 13536995, which is an auto dimming full display mirror you can find on ebay pretty often. You'd then need the proper FAKRA cable and camera. I think GM part number 23295906 could work as the camera, but the aspect ratio might not be ideal for this case (I haven't tried). GM part number 84567388 might be better, and if you can find it for cheap you get two cameras to try.

I heavily considered this but, again, I had no idea where to put the camera. I don't know if there are decent enclosures or other cameras that could work in this case.

This is a fun read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/S2000/comments/th895k

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice job man I was at Gentex booth at SEMA and I was thinking about cobbling something like this together. Do they make systems for other Kia/Hyundai cars or did you get a GM mirror?
I think you can definitely cobble something together for much less if you are open to finding used mirrors and all that. When I searched ebay for specific GM part numbers there were usually a few options from cars that had been totalled but the mirror and often rear cameras were fine. I main reason I used this kit was to avoid having to figure out where to put the camera. The kit comes with different shroud options to enclose the camera and mount it against the rear window. Having it enclosed reduces reflections and if you put it up high under the middle of the spoiler it stays clean for a lot longer than the rest of the window.

The best solution (aside from adding a rear wiper) is probably to put a camera in outside in either the spoiler or the sharkfin antenna. Most of these cameras are not built to be outside however... you'd have to find a coax camera with a similar FOV and rated to be mounted outside. I'm sure it's doable but I didn't see a good way to do it. I also didn't want to cut into my spoiler or antenna to experiment.

· Registered
9 Posts
Apologies for the late reply. Gentex makes antennas with camera's I wonder if I could transport the guts from the ioniq one into the gentex antenna. Their SEMA lit also indicates they are releasing DTC models but it didn't mention nor did their reps if anything is proprietary to GM; since outside of RaceCams which they do for Porsche a few other GT and LM racing teams, it appears GM is their main business. Based off some of their advertised PN's it looks like some of their stuff is made in audiovox factories.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh, that's really interesting. Given the cameras are coax and don't seem super sophisticated I have a feeling they are interoperable with each other... as in you could take the mirror I have an use a sharkfin antenna camera with it. One downside to all this is the consumer-facing solutions are expensive and it's hard to find parts for other setups. Basically have to luck out on finding them for a sepcific vechile directly or on ebay.

· Registered
191 Posts
Nice job! Do you mind posting a photo of the camera with the hatch shut. It's not clear to me whether you mounted it inside or outside the rear glass. Thanks.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice job! Do you mind posting a photo of the camera with the hatch shut. It's not clear to me whether you mounted it inside or outside the rear glass. Thanks.
Ah sorry, it’s mounted inside against the rear window with a shroud that helps with reflections. It still suffers from lack of a wiper but it takes a lot longer to get to the point of having visibility issues. The top of the window right under the spoiler, at least for me, stays much cleaner than the rest of the window for much longer. An exterior camera would be best though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts