Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
So there is another long thread here about being rear ended with no damage. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. One member has it happen regularly when descending a hill at the same spot. Theories range from sealed battery decompressing from altitude change to expansion/contraction of battery pack to something to do with charging (as perhaps most events happened during regen). Nothing definitive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So there is another long thread here about being rear ended with no damage. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. One member has it happen regularly when descending a hill at the same spot. Theories range from sealed battery decompressing from altitude change to expansion/contraction of battery pack to something to do with charging (as perhaps most events happened during regen). Nothing definitive.
Another long thread??? Where is that??? Most of my 'rear enders' have been on flat terrain, not on hills. All from a dead stop. f it happened every day, I'd leave it with the dealer, but I've gone as long as a week between occurrences..

·
Registered
24 Posts
So i tried this today, nearly sh*t my pants!
Ihas washed the car, and i wanted to clear the breaks.

I went to 80km/t, put it in N and used the breaks to zero. Setting back to D and when i hit 5-10KM/t, there was a loud BANG!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Kind of sound like the rear brakes are locking up. The bang is the release.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As i was atvspeed when it happend, i dont Think so.
And I do this from time to time. And the breaks look fine.
Not sure it is the same as my issue. My 'bang' is always from a full stop. It might be that the electric motor kicks in before the transmission engages. ???????????????? I do not know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure it is the same as my issue. My 'bang' is always from a full stop. It might be that the electric motor kicks in before the transmission engages. ???????????????? I do not know.
Good question.
It was a verry high bang, not like when the breaks might be stuck.

So i'm drawning a blank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So i can now recreate the kind of "bump".
What i do is break to zero in "N", and then putting it to "D", waiting for a bit, and then start. At about 5-10km/h the bump comes.
More acceleration = louder bump.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Interesting. No thoughts but now you can reproduce the bang for service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've had three more "rear-enders" since last up-date. No additional shifting issues.

Rear-ender 9/13/20 09:43 AM

Rear-ender 9/20/20 10:36 AM

Rear-ender 10/01/20 10:42 AM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've had 7 more instances since my last post. Still no idea what is happening. Still no idea how this drive train is set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the forum and I’ve got a customer that brought me their 2019 Ioniq with same issue says like it feels like he’s getting rear ended I drove the car to recreate the problem but no luck ran a full dtc scan to see if any dtcs were stored in any of the modules and nothing no pending no history dtcs was wondering if anyone has any updates with theirs if anyone got it resolved .

·
Registered
24 Posts
New to the forum and I’ve got a customer that brought me their 2019 Ioniq with same issue says like it feels like he’s getting rear ended I drove the car to recreate the problem but no luck ran a full dtc scan to see if any dtcs were stored in any of the modules and nothing no pending no history dtcs was wondering if anyone has any updates with theirs if anyone got it resolved .
Try to go at speed, go to Neutral and break to zero. Set back to drive, and go. Then it happends quite often.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok, so I'm not the only one with this issue. Several more rear-enders in my Plug in Ioniq since last post. Still no idea of cause. Not very comforting to hear that no DTC codes were produced by this penomenon. I'm starting to think this might be a bug in the vehicle software that controls the transmission. Just an un-educated guess on my part.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not quite sure. But i think it might be a clutch issue. Maby by design.

In the morning when the battery is full, it can also happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m a mechanic I’m not to familiar with hybrids never cared to work on them but now am going to go more in depth to learn and work on them any other cars no problem with diagnosing/repairing issues was going thru my snap on apollo d8 scanner and looking thru special functions and relearns for transmission module going to try the DCT learning function to see the results if the problem continues

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings. So glad I found this discussion. I am an Ioniq hybrid owner in the Caribbean having exactly the same issue. The jolts ("rear enders") vary in intensity and occur intermittently when moving off from a standstill. The jolt can be felt and is also audible, and yes, some are so intense it feels like the car was hit. The problem started six months into ownership. I keep asking the dealer if a service bulletin was issued for this or if other owners reported the problem, but the garage is not forthcoming with that information. A few weeks ago I carried the car in again for the same problem and they stated that the car's software needed to be updated, giving hope that the problem would be addressed by the upgrade. Post software upgrade, the problem persists. I had around four jolts yesterday, after a brief respite when the software was upgraded.
For what it's worth, I asked another ionic owner (a stranger that happened to park next to me at the grocery) if she experienced a similar problem. Her answer was yes. Additionally, she indicated that an acquaintance of hers, with a Kia Nero (similar power train I believe) has a similar issue.
Jens Anderson, thanks for your accurate descriptions.
There is some little comfort knowing that I am not alone; and I am thinking that the more widespread the problem is, the greater the likelihood of a fix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Greetings. So glad I found this discussion. I am an Ioniq hybrid owner in the Caribbean having exactly the same issue. The jolts ("rear enders") vary in intensity and occur intermittently when moving off from a standstill. The jolt can be felt and is also audible, and yes, some are so intense it feels like the car was hit. The problem started six months into ownership. I keep asking the dealer if a service bulletin was issued for this or if other owners reported the problem, but the garage is not forthcoming with that information. A few weeks ago I carried the car in again for the same problem and they stated that the car's software needed to be updated, giving hope that the problem would be addressed by the upgrade. Post software upgrade, the problem persists. I had around four jolts yesterday, after a brief respite when the software was upgraded.
For what it's worth, I asked another ionic owner (a stranger that happened to park next to me at the grocery) if she experienced a similar problem. Her answer was yes. Additionally, she indicated that an acquaintance of hers, with a Kia Nero (similar power train I believe) has a similar issue.
Jens Anderson, thanks for your accurate descriptions.
There is some little comfort knowing that I am not alone; and I am thinking that the more widespread the problem is, the greater the likelihood of a fix.
Hey Jens, I've been pretty busy and just noticed your post. Looks like I'm not the only "rear ender" victim. I've had many more instances since my last post on this subject. Still say it feels like and sounds like it comes from the rear. If it is a brake issue, that would explain why it doesn't show up in the DTC data.

One thing I did find while digging through the owners manual looking for something unrelated. I discovered that the dual clutch transmission DOES NOT include a torque converter as most automatic transmissions do. I did not know that and therefore we are dealing with a different 'animal' than what we are used to. I don't know if it explains anything regarding our 'rear enders', but it might.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I never experienced what you lot have but every time I had a bang sound from under the car I ended up with an HEV engine code which turned out to be the "clutch actuator" (choses gas engine or electric motor - at times my car wouldn't drive in hybrid mode - just gas engine only) and it was a warranty issue thankfully.

Reactions: KevinT
21 - 40 of 40 Posts