Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah. Three times I've felt like I was rear-ended. First two times I was starting from a stop light and felt a bump, seeming to come from the rear and heard a thump that sounded like I'd been bumped by the vehicle from behind. The vehicles behind me were a good yard behind, so I didn't get out at the time, but later I checked for damage or marks, but saw none. I was in hybrid mode in both cases.
It happened again today. I was in sport mode and at a stop sign. When I hit the gas I got a big jolt. No vehicles behind me. My Ioniq has only about 800 miles on it.
Anyone else had this experience?

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Could be the engine clutch. Doesn't that mimic the feeling of releasing clutch too fast on a manual transmission?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the engine clutch. Doesn't that mimic the feeling of releasing clutch too fast on a manual transmission?
Could be, but this is a front wheel drive and the "clutch" would be in the front. This feels and sounds exactly like a low velocity bump in the rear. I'm wondering about a sticking brake??????

·
Registered
145 Posts
Happened to me a lot when I had an Optima Hybrid, was never rectified after numerous drivetrain recalls and updates. Don't tell my Ioniq has the same powertrain and this is what awaits me in the future? 😁

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Whether front or rear drive, popping the clutch feels exactly the same on your back. We already know this impulse cannot come from the rear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happened to me a lot when I had an Optima Hybrid, was never rectified after numerous drivetrain recalls and updates. Don't tell my Ioniq has the same powertrain and this is what awaits me in the future? 😁
Welllll, there haven't been many replies, so I'd guess it might be something unique to my Ioniq.
Welllll, there haven't been many replies, so I'd guess it might be
something unique to my Ioniq. Hey, that rhymes. I'm going to
record the fairly accurate date and time that last 'bump' occurred
in case the dealer can get some sort of readout on faults. Doubt
it, but who knows?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah. Three times I've felt like I was rear-ended. First two times I was starting from a stop light and felt a bump, seeming to come from the rear and heard a thump that sounded like I'd been bumped by the vehicle from behind. The vehicles behind me were a good yard behind, so I didn't get out at the time, but later I checked for damage or marks, but saw none. I was in hybrid mode in both cases.
It happened again today. I was in sport mode and at a stop sign. When I hit the gas I got a big jolt. No vehicles behind me. My Ioniq has only about 800 miles on it.
Anyone else had this experience?
Odd you mention this. Has never happened in my Ioniq hybrid, but it did used to happen to me periodically in a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant I once owned. Scared the bejeebers out of me every time. Never did figure out what it was but I noticed the colder the weather was the more likely it was to happen. Though it might be emergency brake locking up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Odd you mention this. Has never happened in my Ioniq hybrid, but it did used to happen to me periodically in a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant I once owned. Scared the bejeebers out of me every time. Never did figure out what it was but I noticed the colder the weather was the more likely it was to happen. Though it might be emergency brake locking up.
Emergency brake was a thought I had also, but hardly ever use it in this vehicle. Used it all the time in my Elantra, but don't care for the foot operated E B in the Ioniq. Both of the first two episodes occurred on wet pavement so I thought it my be traction loss when starting. However the last one was on very dry pavement. All three times were about the same intensity. Plus it seems to come from the rear so I'd think traction loss would be felt from the front. Who knows?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have spoken to dealer's service dept regarding this subject and am due to take Ioniq in for a service check. The "bump" issue has occurred three or four times since my first post. Let me be clear. I am 99.999% satisfied to-date with my Ioniq. The Ioniq has been an answer to my dreams of many years. I've always wished I could have an electric vehicle to 'bop' around town with and not use gasoline. The hybrid feature means I can use that same vehicle to go on long trips without fear of needing to stop for hours to recharge the battery. Wow, thank-you Hyundai.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have spoken to dealer's service dept regarding this subject and am due to take Ioniq in for a service check. The "bump" issue has occurred three or four times since my first post. Let me be clear. I am 99.999% satisfied to-date with my Ioniq. The Ioniq has been an answer to my dreams of many years. I've always wished I could have an electric vehicle to 'bop' around town with and not use gasoline. The hybrid feature means I can use that same vehicle to go on long trips without fear of needing to stop for hours to recharge the battery. Wow, thank-you Hyundai.
OK, 6/9/20 just had my Ioniq in for the "BUMP" issue. Nothing found, but service said they now have my issue on record in case further problems arise. No TSBs either. Wonder how many PHEV 2019 Ioniqs are out there???

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
July 18, 2020 and have experienced this issue over11 times in the last month. Sometimes it happens and I'm too lazy to write down the time, so I know it is more than 11, but not too much more. It almost seems like the motor revs up a bit before the clutch engages. I have a pretty good idea of how the drive-train works in a ICE, but this Ioniq's drive train seems to be somewhat of a mystery. i.e. is there separate transmissions for the ICE and the EVM? Obviously in regen mode, the drive-train drives the electric motor to generate charging current, but it doesn't turn the ICE over, does it? The ICE runs through six gears, but the EVM doesn't seem to shift that much, does it??? Anyhow, I'd sure like to see a good diagram of the drive-train setup.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
68 Posts
This post may be helpful.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,073 Posts
Imagine any normal car with a hydraulic clutch and a six speed manual transmission. Now pry it apart, stick an electric motor/generator between the clutch and transmission, let a computer control the clutch and shifting, then replace the 12V starter with a second motor/generator. Now you've got our car. Oh, and the transmission is a dual clutch sequential gearbox, so yes that's three clutches in total.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imagine any normal car with a hydraulic clutch and a six speed manual transmission. Now pry it apart, stick an electric motor/generator between the clutch and transmission, let a computer control the clutch and shifting, then replace the 12V starter with a second motor/generator. Now you've got our car. Oh, and the transmission is a dual clutch sequential gearbox, so yes that's three clutches in total.

Reactions: KevinT and bluioniq

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I downloaded this diagram thru the links in " siggesnok's post above. I understand DCT but not HSG, HPCU and LDC. Looking at the power usage display on the power info screen, when both the ICE and the EV motor are driving the wheels, it tends to indicate that the ICE is driving the wheels without going thru the EVMotor. I'm a bit skeptical about that as I doubt the ICE drives the wheels separately. This diagram supports that idea, but who knows. Also, does the line to the left of the Engine and HSG indicate that the Engine drives the HSG? Pretty sure it does, but I have been wrong once before.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
There is a belt connecting the engine to the HSG. That is how the engine charges the traction battery, under most conditions always charging when the engine is running. The HSG is also the starter motor driven by the high voltage battery (electrons going the other direction from charging).

Yes, the engine is turning the motor when on. The motor is turning at all times when moving and not in neutral. However the torque added by the motor is separately controlled between zero and full output.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a belt connecting the engine to the HSG. That is how the engine charges the traction battery, under most conditions always charging when the engine is running. The HSG is also the starter motor driven by the high voltage battery (electrons going the other direction from charging).

Yes, the engine is turning the motor when on. The motor is turning at all times when moving and not in neutral. However the torque added by the motor is separately controlled between zero and full output.
So what does HSG stand for??? So are you saying the EVMotor is the starter for the ICE??? I guess that could make sense. but no real diagrams showing this so far.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,073 Posts
So what does HSG stand for??? So are you saying the EVMotor is the starter for the ICE??? I guess that could make sense. but no real diagrams showing this so far.
There's two electric motor-generators, a large one between the hydraulic clutch and transmission used for driving and regenerative braking, and the smaller Hybrid Started Generator (HSG) connected to the gas engine with a belt. The HSG starts the gas engine, then is used as a generator when the load on that engine would otherwise be too light for it to run efficiently (cruising on level ground or at idle). Both of these electric motors are connected to a controller that sits on the high voltage battery bus. 12 volt power for computers, lighting, fans, and electronics comes from a DC to DC converter that steps down the high voltage bus to about 13.8 V, the same job an alternator + regulator does in a conventional fossil car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, 9/17/20 and have had 17 more "rear enders" since July 18th. Also, about 9/8/20 after car sat unused over Labor Day weekend, I noticed some rough shifting for an hour or so that smoothed out later and hasn't occurred since. Doubt there is any connection between that and the "rear enders". However, no ideas that seem to fit the symptoms have come to light,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts