Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
One more post before I call it a night. I was looking at removing the rear Hyundai emblem today. Well to my surprise yes it is recessed as we all know but it also has to tabs on each side to hold it in place through the metal. What a mess. I am looking into changing it and will update when I get it working. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello all,
One more post before I call it a night. I was looking at removing the rear Hyundai emblem today. Well to my surprise yes it is recessed as we all know but it also has to tabs on each side to hold it in place through the metal. What a mess. I am looking into changing it and will update when I get it working. Stay tuned.
Would love to see it when its done. Curious to see how large these slots are in the tailgate to hold the emblem in place.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited Digital Teal Green
686 Posts
Ok here is the picture of the back of the rear Hyundai logo. It is attached with 3M tape with alignment tabs in the metal. It is a terrible design to try to replace hope this helps some of you View attachment 39328
This is super helpful! It’s nice to know they are alignment pins and not clips. It will help me with my Morse code H emblem project.

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
237 Posts
Don't have a 5 yet, but from that picture I'd bet the panel the logo mounts in is plastic. So don't lean on it too hard. Or if I'm wrong, be sure you touch up any places metal is exposed, and that your replacement seals off those holes to prevent rust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok here is the picture of the back of the rear Hyundai logo. It is attached with 3M tape with alignment tabs in the metal. It is a terrible design to try to replace hope this helps some of you View attachment 39328
Thanks bud! Quick question: Are there only two alignment pins on either sides or are there more in the middle? thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Charley that is exactly what I am looking into. Well great minds think alike. You have a shop to do it?
Lol, I think we're all on a similar wavelength. I have a 3D printer and tried printing a scaled down prototype in draft mode just to see what it would look like (even this print took 54 mins lol). Bear in mind, I'm no expert with a 3D printer and those things are not like your simple click and print and there are seemingly a million settings to tweak and the PLA filament cant have too much moisture, etc. but I digress. The PLA filament was blue so I just filled it in with Sharpies to see what it would look like. Obviously wouldn't put something of this ghastly quality on to the car but I think it gives you a good enough idea of what it will look like.

As I was looking at it, I was wondering if there was a better and more cost effective way to do it. If we can get a blank ellipse of a similar shape/size as the existing emblem, we can simply put that on and would need 4 square dots. There are many vehicle lettering in chrome or other colours available online from where you can get these 4 dots. The benefit would be that your car's original colour would be visible in the center. The challenge seems to be finding the blank ellipse. Also, this assumes that there are no holes/alignment pins in the middle, and that the paint was not damaged when pulling out the original emblem.

Coin Nickel Currency Money Money handling

Reactions: Restyler

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Harpoon,

Yeah that looks great for a first try. I would like the OG color in the background like you said. I have the feelers out to get some replies today and see what they have to say. It is in the works and will let you know what I have found out. stay tuned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I only has the two, one on each side
Any tips on the removal? I'll be picking mine up tomorrow and want to try this. Did you use a heat gun, fishing line, plastic pry tool, etc.?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any tips on the removal? I'll be picking mine up tomorrow and want to try this. Did you use a heat gun, fishing line, plastic pry tool, etc.?
Yeah I used a heat gun and a sharp panel removal tool. It is really hard to get under the emblem so you need something thin and strong to get under it. once you get a small opening it get easier to pull off. you just leaving it open for now ?

1 - 20 of 125 Posts