Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Has your IONIQ door handle broken off?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D1F30F56-E1B2-4C40-895A-3E9BB3963CF3.jpeg
I purchased a 2020 IONIQ electric on May 20th. Due to the virus I have driven just 2500 miles. I am alone so only occasionally have a front passenger and use the back seat to put coat on etc. Opened the door yesterday and the trim popped off. This happened on my 2018 Hybrid last November which I added in this forum. It took my Engineering knowledge and degree to prove that the coefficient of linear expansion of the aluminium insert for the self tapping screw is the issue and therefore a bad design. So I have had two break on two new ioniqs. This is not me being too rough on the door handle. Given the number of these that are reported as failing Hyundai need to acknowledge this issue now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
View attachment 33124 I purchased a 2020 IONIQ electric on May 20th. Due to the virus I have driven just 2500 miles. I am alone so only occasionally have a front passenger and use the back seat to put coat on etc. Opened the door yesterday and the trim popped off. This happened on my 2018 Hybrid last November which I added in this forum. It took my Engineering knowledge and degree to prove that the coefficient of linear expansion of the aluminium insert for the self tapping screw is the issue and therefore a bad design. So I have had two break on two new ioniqs. This is not me being too rough on the door handle. Given the number of these that are reported as failing Hyundai need to acknowledge this issue now.
Oh and here is the last cars photo

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
215 Posts
Oh and here is the last cars photo
I had exactly the same breakage - a very short time after picking up my brand new car 6 months ago. I rammed the piece back in, and surprisingly it is still there. Obviously a design fault but as I had been waiting ages for delivery due to Lockdown restrictions and with continuing Covid delays etc etc I didn't make a fuss at the time. Will draw Dealer's attention to it at 12 month service. Got to be a warranty issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had exactly the same breakage - a very short time after picking up my brand new car 6 months ago. I rammed the piece back in, and surprisingly it is still there. Obviously a design fault but as I had been waiting ages for delivery due to Lockdown restrictions and with continuing Covid delays etc etc I didn't make a fuss at the time. Will draw Dealer's attention to it at 12 month service. Got to be a warranty issue.
My local Hyundai dealer are really good. Fingers crossed they sort it free. Problem is they have to get part, then it has to go to paint shop. The fitting can just be done in the car park in a few minutes. Glue will hold, but not ideal on a moving part like a door handle. The rear near side seems fine and haven’t noticed anyone else with an issue that side. I mentioned at Bristol Hyundai when I swapped the hybrid for the new EV and they said that Hyundai have acknowledged the issue and will do repairs under warranty. Will keep you posted as to what they do.

·
Registered
2019 IONIQ HEV Blue Trim | Ceramic White/Charcoal
187 Posts
Since it seems the repair or replacement of this issue under warranty has been questioned by not only dealers but also Hyundai per other threads here, it would be ideal to know if there is some preventative measures that one can do to minimize this from happening. It is suggested by @BlueNev in this thread post to try to pull handles perpendicular vs at an angle: Rear door handle falling off

Can anyone who has had their handle covers break correlate this or other behavior that caused the issue?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does that peace that fells off have any reason that it must move? Can this be solved by using superglue? :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also had one almost falling off. Before it actually broke completely and it just stayed barely in place I could see that while pulling on the handle if I kept my thumb pressing on the piece it was not moving. Now it is replaced and also superglued on the body. I hope it will last forever.
The strange part is the fact that the door involved is the least used one - rear left - opposite to where the child seat is mounted.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
15 Posts
You could add one more "Yes" to de poll. Mine fell off today. The same issue. Rear door handle.
Got the car since september (2020 EV).
Tomorrow I'm going to the dealer. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine fell off yesterday, rear door, 2018 model.
As you see in the picture, the plastic around the nut broke. Seems very fragile.
20210412_094409.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
15 Posts
Mine was replaced free of charge last week. Same issue, rear door, right side.
My car is a 6 month old 2020 EV

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mine was replaced free of charge last week. Same issue, rear door, right side.
My car is a 6 month old 2020 EV
Can add mine to list 2020 EV, rear right dropped off Monday, going to dealer this morning, will report back later!

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
206 Posts
I hope they don't replace it with just the same flawed design, guess it would be hard to tell until it happens again. My door handles have been fine for now, but I maybe be tempted to try the rear door handles a few times while still under warranty. Is it just the rear handles that fall off, or front ones too?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just back from Ryders Hyundai Warrington, no problem staff stated straight away "warranty case" new one placed on order and when received and painted they would call me to arrange fitment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine fell off yesterday, rear door, 2018 model.
As you see in the picture, the plastic around the nut broke. Seems very fragile.
View attachment 33913
UPDATE: The dealer in Norway replaced mine free of charge last week. But still it can, and most certainly will, happen again. There are three doors more waiting in line, and I'm starting to wonder how much this car's gonna cost me after the warranty expires. AC pump was replaced after 9 months (all interior had to be removed, 2 weeks at workshop), and would have cost a fortune if not covered by warranty. Moisture in rear lamps, replaced by warranty. What's next :-/

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq plug-in
1 Posts
I'm too late for the poll, but would have voted yes TWICE because this has happened to two door handles of my 2019 Ioniq plug-in.

As a safeguard, I try to pull the handle only towards me, not to the side (i.e., not towards the back of the car) and not pull it too far out.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq hybrid Blue
20 Posts
Mine broke and fell off my 2017 Hybrid about 8 months ago. The situation was exacerbated by the parts dept. twice ordering the part for the front passenger door which is not the same as the rear. Third time was the charm and, so far, it's still hanging in there.
The dealership allowed it as under warranty. I made sure by copying every instance of the problem I could find on line and presenting them with what I found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 33124 I purchased a 2020 IONIQ electric on May 20th. Due to the virus I have driven just 2500 miles. I am alone so only occasionally have a front passenger and use the back seat to put coat on etc. Opened the door yesterday and the trim popped off. This happened on my 2018 Hybrid last November which I added in this forum. It took my Engineering knowledge and degree to prove that the coefficient of linear expansion of the aluminium insert for the self tapping screw is the issue and therefore a bad design. So I have had two break on two new ioniqs. This is not me being too rough on the door handle. Given the number of these that are reported as failing Hyundai need to acknowledge this issue now.

Hi! So I have the same issue and it popped off while driving. Is there a place or store I can get one? I am not from the US but I do have an address to get items delivered once purchased.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
65 Posts
Would it make sense to spend the replacement part some additional glue to strengthen some structure before mounting?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts