Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (extended range battery) purchased nearly 3 months ago, now with 1800+ miles. The majority of my driving is in town and in the ECO mode with Level 3 regenerative braking. The range indicator is showing significantly greater range than advertised or expected: 370+ miles @ 100% charge. Today we (3 adults) took a 160 mile roundtrip country road excursion with AC engaged and speeds of 55-60 MPH. At the end of the trip the battery charge registered 54% and a range of 189 miles. The latter is equivalent of a full charge range of 350 miles (189/54%=350). It all seems too good to be true. Is anyone else experiencing significantly greater than advertised in-town driving range?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
A better guage would be to multiply the average consumption (mi/kWh) for this trip times 77.4 (the capacity of the battery) and that will give you a more accurate number for your consumption for this particular trip. The value on the GOM is probably partially based on this trip but also includes consumption for much of your around town driving before the trip. I think the GOM bases it's number on past 300-500 miles. I'm not sure exactly but I think it's somewhere in that range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A better guage would be to multiply the average consumption (mi/kWh) for this trip times 77.4 (the capacity of the battery) and that will give you a more accurate number for your consumption for this particular trip. The value on the GOM is probably partially based on this trip but also includes consumption for much of your around town driving before the trip. I think the GOM bases it's number on past 300-500 miles. I'm not sure exactly but I think it's somewhere in that range.
4.3 (mi/kWh) x 77.4 = 332.8 (full charge range). Even that seems too good to be true, and certainly better than expected. It would be great if those numbers (370 in town & 330 at modest Hwy speeds + AC) hold out to be realistic. Any info as to when battery degradation has a noticeable impact. BTW, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
581 Posts
I went on a long drive today to pick up the polestar 2 and did as much of the drive in HDA as possible at 67 MPH. I made it 178.7 mi on 60% charge with 108 Mi remaining at 3.9/4.0 mi/kWh - basically 287 miles per charge vs the EPA estimate of 256 miles, 12% more. 12% more than the 303 mi RWD estimate would be around 340 miles so not that far off.

^ That's highway driving in mixed traffic. I'd expect better in town like you've asked so yes, seems spot on.

Gotta collect all the good EVs :D.

Cloud Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle

What's really odd is on the drive the polestar hit it's EPA efficiency and no better, with 140 miles remaining at 58%, which works to 240 miles at 100% charge against an EPA efficiency of 249 miles.

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
237 Posts
ICEVs are so wildly inefficient (approximately 80% of the fuel's energy gets blown out the tailpipe and radiators as heat and noise) that changes in driving habits have a relatively muted effect on mileage, compared to an EV.

EVs are so efficient (only around 20% of the energy is wasted), that driving habits have a much bigger impact. Yes, driving around town at low speeds with few hills and gentle throttle use will give you a huge improvement in range. (Though 50-60 mph is about as fast as you can get away with that.) 350 - 370 miles of range seems very reasonable in grandma mode.

The downside is that when you start making good use of the available acceleration, having some real fun in the mountains or cruising at 70 - 80+ mph for most of a long trip, you can see range drop well below 200 miles.

Some new EV drivers might learn that they picked up some bad habits during those years (decades?) of ICEV driving. Not to say they're bad drivers, only that it didn't matter in an ICEV. It does now. EVs will generously reward good throttle control. They'll even help you develop it. Just keep an eye on your Power/Charge gauge as you drive. Keep power draw low with smooth changes and your range will likely rise.

Even if you have no interest in being a range miser, this skill will come in handy if you ever find yourself unexpectedly low on charge and farther than you'd like to the nearest charger. Sometimes a big boost in range can come in very handy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Some new EV drivers might learn that they picked up some bad habits during those years (decades?) of ICEV driving.
This. I've been driving a BMW 230i for the last few years. It has a twin-turbo four cylinder engine which I normally drive in "comfort" mode'. I consider myself a somewhat aggressive driver on the highway and my gas milage suffers for it.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
531 Posts
I have a 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (extended range battery) purchased nearly 3 months ago, now with 1800+ miles. The majority of my driving is in town and in the ECO mode with Level 3 regenerative braking. The range indicator is showing significantly greater range than advertised or expected: 370+ miles @ 100% charge. Today we (3 adults) took a 160 mile roundtrip country road excursion with AC engaged and speeds of 55-60 MPH. At the end of the trip the battery charge registered 54% and a range of 189 miles. The latter is equivalent of a full charge range of 350 miles (189/54%=350). It all seems too good to be true. Is anyone else experiencing significantly greater than advertised in-town driving range?
Actually range is a distance driven and not a made up number :oops::unsure:

·
Registered
30 Posts
After 5000 miles, our average is 3.4 miles/kVh (18.2 kWh/100km), for a RWD base model.
But that is what you get for occasionally driving 75MPH with strong air-conditioning.
Just to be clear I seldom step on it, just normal accelerations.
Air drag is a bitch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After 5000 miles, our average is 3.4 miles/kVh (18.2 kWh/100km), for a RWD base model.
But that is what you get for occasionally driving 75MPH with strong air-conditioning.
Just to be clear I seldom step on it, just normal accelerations.
Air drag is a bitch.
Put a vacuum cleaner nozzle in front of the car to get the air out of the way and then the vacuum will pull you forward increasing efficiency;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just completed my first long trip in my Ioniq 5 and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I have a RWD SEL and I drove about 1300 miles from Maryland to Savannah Georgia and back (down one day and back the next). Temperature was between 60 and 70F and my consumption was 3.9-4.0 on average. Tried to stay in the 65-70 mph range most of the time, on cruise almost the whole way and 0 regen when cruise was off. ECO mode the entire time. Used climate minimally but when on the fan was set to 1, cockpit temp set to 72. I watched my average consumption closely and concluded that the sweet spot is similar to my Kona, right around 65 and probably 65 - 70 if looking at a range. As I started creeping up over 70 I could see the efficiency start to go down.

I was expecting it to be more in the 3.3 - 3.7 range given the predominantly highway speeds so meeting or exceeding the rated efficiency on the highway was awesome. Obviously winter would have made it lower but I am very happy with the numbers I got.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I watched my average consumption closely and concluded that the sweet spot is similar to my Kona, right around 65 and probably 65 - 70 if looking at a range.
Not sure what you mean by sweet spot?
Unlike ICE vehicles where the longest mileage you can get on a given fuel quantity is achieved at around 55 MPH, with EVs the longest mileage you can get on a given charge is achieved at 20MPH or so.
Yes, if you are truly going through a range crisis, slow down a lot and then slow down some more (and turn on the hazard lights).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure what you mean by sweet spot?
By "sweet spot" I mean the highway speed range that is most efficient without being ridiculous (so I'm am not including going so slow that I need to use the hazards). I'm talking about a good practical speed that also is efficient. At some point the efficiency starts to drop and one needs to decide which is more important, speed or efficiency. What i found is that if I want to get close to or maybe even exceed the rated range and also drive a reasonable highway speed, if I keep it at 70 or below I do great. As you start to creep up above 70 you will start to see the efficiency go down. At least on my car, based on the data points for this one long trip. As the announcers say in a low quick voice, your mileage may vary. And if you want to go 85 and have the juice to make it to your next stop, go for it.

·
Registered
Cyber Grey AWD SEL
29 Posts
At 3,000 miles on SEL AWD averaging 4.1 miles/kwh. Eco/Auto with about 50/50 local/highway driving. Warm SoCal weather. Full charge range consistently reported at 325/330 miles. Seems not unusual from reports here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have my SEL for about 3 months, 1800 miles. I usually commute from NJ to Manhattan about 20 miles and have been getting 4.1 m/kWh with all the stop and go. I usually set on normal or occasionally sport and 1 pedal, nevet eco on AC,

Just took longish trip to Boston, 210 miles. Stopped about 50 miles out in Auburn MA for first chance to use 360kwh electrify America. Was down to 40pct. Got up to 205kwh. Charged to 93pct in 24 minutes. Average on trip there was 3.4 m/kwh but I was averaging 70+/- the whole way.
On way back stopped at EA outside Hartford at 150kwh got up to 154kwh. Took 23 minutes to go from 40 to 87pct. Whole trip back averaged 3.8 as average speed was maybe 5mph slower. But as long as there are EA chargers available and it is free in the 1st two years, it was very stress free without sweating over efficiency. I love this car.
BTW in Boston met a guy who works for Audi in Germany. Two things I didn’t know, the head designer at Hyundai is originally from Audi and EA was partially funded by VW diesel scandal funds. Any way he was very bullish on Hyundai design. I am very happy with the ioniq 5.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had above expected range estimates when driving around town, but I got significantly less range on my 133 mile trip (each way). The speed limit was 70-75 MPH and it was 90 degrees outside so it took about 55-60% of my battery. Makes sense with the drastically different driving conditions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts