Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theoretically, if you were able to always drive in EV mode, would you get unlimited mileage?

I ask because on the way to work this morning, I was in EV mode 60% of the time (yes, i pissed off other drivers) which resulted in 85 MPG :)

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Theoretically ? Maybe ? Practically ? ....not much chance . 60 % or more of my commute to work is in EV . Not so going home though . It's more of a steady uphill incline , do it uses ICE more

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
As far as I know, you can be in EV mode for as long as there's is charge in the battery. The engine will come on at about half charge regardless of what you are doing at the time, parked or driving so I would say that You can't be on EV only 100% of the time. I'm thinking about the PhEV and wondering if I keep it charged all the time, would I ever need petrol?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
no Petrol in EV mode

As far as I know, you can be in EV mode for as long as there's is charge in the battery. The engine will come on at about half charge regardless of what you are doing at the time, parked or driving so I would say that You can't be on EV only 100% of the time. I'm thinking about the PhEV and wondering if I keep it charged all the time, would I ever need petrol?
I have found that when using car on local trips in EV mode (PHEV) then ICE does not run at all,providing you keep the acceleration in the Eco band on the
power display, charging after each trip, and I get about 37 miles range in EV.
I'm having solar panels fitted at the moment and plan to charge during the day so I hope to have free energy for My Car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems I can always be in EV as long as I have 2 or less bars in the ECO band (while moving)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Theoretically, if you were able to always drive in EV mode, would you get unlimited mileage?

I ask because on the way to work this morning, I was in EV mode 60% of the time (yes, i pissed off other drivers) which resulted in 85 MPG :)

Thoughts?
No because there is no such thing as `lossless` mode in power generation so you will never achieve unlimited mileage. The ICE is about 40% thermally efficient. The motor/batteries about 60%, There are losses in the powertrain, aerodynamics and in the conversion of potential to kinetic energy - and of course, no driver is 100% efficient.

Next we don't drive on flat roads so unless you're route is steeply downhill in both directions it's swings and roundabouts.

Finally, you still have to accelerate.

You can get about 6 miles out of the Hybrid just on the battery, but as noted after that even if you don't actually go anywhere the ICE is kicking in to recharge the battery. It will be the same story with the PHEV, just with a bigger battery mileage before the ICE cuts in, providing you don't drive in a manner that requires the ICE. The difference is the PHEV allows you to plug in so IF the energy is coming exclusively from self-derived sources AND you have found a way to store the energy until it can be introduced to your vehicle battery then theoretically in those 30-odd blocks of EV-only use you could be `unlimited`.

Theoretically.

If it was in practice we'd all have EV's by now... :nerd:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Wait so the idea of the phev is not a full EV with an ICE for backup? I'm gonna have to start from scratch again with this now and readup on the phev as I did with hybrid. ?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have found that when using car on local trips in EV mode (PHEV) then ICE does not run at all,providing you keep the acceleration in the Eco band on the
power display, charging after each trip, and I get about 37 miles range in EV.
I'm having solar panels fitted at the moment and plan to charge during the day so I hope to have free energy for My Car.
That's an amazing idea dude! I'm so going to do this when I get my EV. Does Hyundai do the interface?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That's an amazing idea dude! I'm so going to do this when I get my EV. Does Hyundai do the interface?
no I generate up to 4kw of solar energy which is routed into the household mains supply, I run my charger from the mains supply ,if I charge at a lower rate I will not need grid power. If We manage the times we use power we can charge the car, wash the dishes, and do the laundry from the solar energy, the surplus is fed to the grid and we get a feed-in tariff payment of around 4p a kwh. we = my wife and myself.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Read that completely wrong, thought you were putting panels on roof of the car lol still, solar power is solar power. The more the better in my opinion! :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Read that completely wrong, thought you were putting panels on roof of the car lol still, solar power is solar power. The more the better in my opinion! :)
Sorry, reading through that again I should have worded it better, especially as there has been a discussion about fitting solar panels fitted to the Ioniq roof.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Wait so the idea of the phev is not a full EV with an ICE for backup? I'm gonna have to start from scratch again with this now and readup on the phev as I did with hybrid. ?
Think of the PHEV as a Hybrid with a bigger battery - giving the capability to spend more time on the motor rather than the ICE. Other than that it's almost identical to the Hybrid, but with the ability to plug-in to replenish the battery.

There still comes the time when the ICE kicks in, just like our Hybrids. And you still have to drive it to keep it on the battery, if you don't limit the mode to EV with a button press - the biggest difference between PHEV and HEV. But even then if the battery runs down, the ICE kicks in.

There is simply no possibility of cars of this size working efficiently with a 1.6 litre four cylinder engine being carried as baggage for most of the time - it simply HAS to contribute or else it's a waste of weight and space. It's why choosing a pricier PHEV over an HEV is not a straightforward decision. Not just a question of mileage, but also HOW you do that mileage...

Plus, the several months we've had our hybrids means we have been accruing mileage benefits long before the PHEV became available - in my case I've gained about 17mpg over my previous company car - but that was a diesel, more expensive by a percentage point or two over petrol, so call the nett gain 18mpg over 15,000 miles and in eight months at £1.20 a gallon I've `saved` nearly £700 in fuel costs alone before the PHEV was even released.

Reactions: TKGDee

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
so call the nett gain 18mpg over 15,000 miles and in eight months at £1.20 a gallon I've `saved` nearly £700 in fuel costs alone before the PHEV was even released.
tell me where, for £1.20 a gallon I will drive down and fill my tank and still be in pocket :) :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
>:) Somewhere down the line I thought `litres` and wrote gallons.

Shoot, Brexit can't come soon enough! ;)

Off for a pint...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Omg. Gonna pretend I didnt hear that last. Bl00dy Brexit expecting me to get a work permit. ? Whatevs!

Moving quickly along.. thanks for the info. Does sound a bit pointless to get the PhEV then.. I may just wait for my Tesla after all.. as the EV doesn't appeal to me because of the interior design and colour scheme. Yes, I am that vain.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I'm sure colour blindness is more prevalent than we think...

It's the only way I can explain the `sh1t brown` and `bucket-of-sick yellow` cars on the road.:eek:

Reactions: TKGDee

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Very good point SEvans. BF actually pointed out one of these sht brown ones and said he liked it. I couldn't have disagreed more.

Pete, that sounds hilarious. Your missus sounds like a lot of fun lol x

1 - 20 of 25 Posts