Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday I had delivery of my 2020 Ioniq and I have been driving some short and long trips this week. What a great car!

I am curious about the range displayed and how it is calculated. Is the kwh/100km variable, used to calculate range, available for display anywhere? If not, does anybody know over what distance is it calculated?

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Because there are quite big impacts on the actual range from - driving style; ambient temperature; etc., the calculation is based on
  • the present state of charge of the traction battery (SOC)
  • Average RECENT consumption.
Therefore, with a new car - or indeed a new owner of a used car - it will take a little time for this calculation to reflect your usage pattern and circumstances; its "accuracy" will improve.
However, you do need to understand that it is just an estimate. For example, if you drive for several weeks "efficiently" (e.g. at low average speeds in ECO mode) and then suddenly decide to take it for a long 120km/h cruise and/or tear around in "Sport" mode, it may very well use more power per kM and thus not reach that initial estimate. And vice versa.

I don't believe it is made clear, anywhere, how long RECENT actually is.

You can view a list of your consumption figures in the InfoTainment system.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
62 Posts
As Ive been tracking all my fills up I have this chart thats sheds no light on the subject what so ever.
At every fill up I scale what my consumption was and the GOM to the range for a full tank of electrons.
Last one where we dipped below 10kWh/100km was over 3 days and 143km.
Our average consumption indicates 320km of range which is a little above spec. Very happy indeed with the car.

·
Registered
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
713 Posts
The GOM is based on recent driving conditions. I find that it's usually pretty good. However, where is does fall down is if you ascend or descend significantly during your drive, or drive much faster than usual. I tried to drive up to a ski hill which was only 20km, the GOM was showing 50 km of range (note, there is a charger at the top). Halfway up I turned back. The GOM range estimate suddenly started plummeting (so it is somewhat responsive). Also, by my calculation of how fast I was loosing SOC, I would not have made it. Now, I was aware of the effect of ascending so much, and of the effect of decreasing temps and was prepared, and made sure I could either get to the top or turn around with enough range to find a charger near the bottom. But I could certainly see cases where those less experienced with EVs could find themselves in trouble.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
62 Posts
I find the reduction in GOM when turning on the heater to under report distance remaining. The big dips above are liberal heater use on cold winter days.
But its very good when driving under good conditions and on the one time we went low and had 16% battery left 32km from home with 54km on GOM we hit home having 6% left with 21km remaining.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts