Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in contact with Hyundai New Zealand on a few occasions since September last year, but it's still too early for them to answer the questions I have. I was wondering if those members in other countries could probe their local Hyundai Head Office with these questions to see what kind of answers they get. The list is shorter than what I emailed Hyundai, as some of my questions were specific to the local market.

1. When the Ioniq 2018 model is released with improved traveling distance, will it be possible to upgrade or trade in the battery of the Ioniq 2017 to/for the Ioniq 2018 battery?
  2. Can the car be programmed to charge at set times or on a schedule to take advantage of off peak electricity rates or solar panel electricity production?
  3. Can the driver/media/instrument displays be configured for different layouts and content?
  4. Even though it's irrelevant at the moment, how much would a replacement battery cost (today's money) using the existing battery as a trade in and assuming the trade in battery capacity was low enough to warrant a replacement?
I am looking for official answers here rather than say what a mechanic or dealership says, unless those who have an Ioniq EV have actual experience with the answers they have provide.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
  1. When the Ioniq 2018 model is released with improved traveling distance, will it be possible to upgrade or trade in the battery of the Ioniq 2017 to/for the Ioniq 2018 battery? No information yet but Unlikely, if possible its likely cost prohibitive
  2. Can the car be programmed to charge at set times or on a schedule to take advantage of off peak electricity rates or solar panel electricity production? the EV can, but there is no information on the plugin yet
  3. Can the driver/media/instrument displays be configured for different layouts and content?there are a number of preset screens to show various functions and information on the right hand side of dashboard and media / nav screen
  4. Even though it's irrelevant at the moment, how much would a replacement battery cost (today's money) using the existing battery as a trade in and assuming the trade in battery capacity was low enough to warrant a replacement?no information about this yet
my answers in red

if there are specific screens let us know,

have a look at http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/7-hyundai-ioniq-general-discussion/1498-owners-manuals-online.html that has links to the owners manual for the car

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/24593-post7.html has links to the media system manual

looking at them you should be able to see what options and information you can display on the systems

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The BMW is offering an upgrade on the 22kWh i3 battery to a 33kWh battery, so it is technically possible (at least in that car).
Having searched for further details, it would seem the price is several thousand Euro/Pounds, so as you say, cost prohibitive.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Let's hope that this will become a trend for all manufacturers; battery prices will drop in the coming years anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The BMW is offering an upgrade on the 22kWh i3 battery to a 33kWh battery, so it is technically possible (at least in that car).
Having searched for further details, it would seem the price is several thousand Euro/Pounds, so as you say, cost prohibitive.
I think that BMW applied the "pack more energy in the same volume" principle that most of the manufacturers did - Leaf, Zoe etc. I would guess that Ioniq is built with this technology from start.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think that BMW applied the "pack more energy in the same volume" principle that most of the manufacturers did - Leaf, Zoe etc. I would guess that Ioniq is built with this technology from start.
And that there isn't any room in the present battery enclosure to add enough additional batteries for a 200+ mile range. I read that to accomplish this, that Hyundai would have to add batteries into the center spine of the floor like the Chevy did with the Volt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts