Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Questions about wheel axle

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JeanMi 
#1 ·
Hello,

I swapped summer tires to winter tires and what I can see behind the wheel cover doesn't seem very good.
The winter tires are mounted on steel rims.
Here are the photos showing my concerns :
Wheel Auto part Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel
Automotive wheel system Wheel Still life photography Auto part Button
Auto part Wheel Locking hubs Rim Automotive wheel system
Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Metal

On 2 wheels I can see "things" on the axle that doesn't seem normal.

what do you think ?

See less See more
#2 ·
They won't all look the same, as the two front wheel hubs have drive axles splined into them (likely the two on the left) and the two rear wheel hubs don't.

#3 ·
You are right.
The 2 photos on the left are front wheels.
On one of them, I can see unidentified parts near from the axle, below in red :
Wheel Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

On the 2 other photos, rear wheels, I can see on one of them 2 small parts that exceed :
Auto part Wheel Locking hubs Rim Automotive wheel system

Any idea of what it can bee ?

#6 · (Edited)
Your very first pic looks dodgy to me, as very different to the 2nd. At a guess I'd say there's a flat steel washer that's squashed against part of the wheel hub by the big central nut, as seen in the 2nd pic. It very much looks like the first pic shows a badly bent washer; how it got like that is anyone's guess! There's an an amount or rust as well, so water is getting in. I'd want to have that wheel off and inspect the washer; it might be letting water get in behind it, and maybe that water could then find its way to the actual bearings and cause early wear & failure. It may be possible to use CopperSlip or similar to seal any gaps, providing this stuff doesn't get anywhere near the brake discs.

As for bits of plastic around the rears, what's that doing, and where did it come from? Was it part of some protective packing the steel wheels came with, and some rushed Korean worker couldn't get all the bits off in time before the next car came down the assembly line? Again I'd have those wheels off; if there are bits behind, they could be pushing the rim out & making the tyres run out-of-true. Something in there isn't as good as it could be...

Reactions: Gel and KevinT
#7 ·
Great response @HandyAndy . I'm now sitting at my desk and looking at the pics on a big monitor instead of my phone screen, and the issues are obvious now. I think you nailed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.