Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for people who either have a Ioniq 5 and have driven one.

Do the features mentioned in the title keep you centered in a lane regardless of the type of lane.

I'll explain. We know that Tesla has the Auto drive so hands off. The 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV will have the "Super Cruise" which only works on major divided highways. Chevy's site claims there are over 200,000 miles of these highways in Canada and the US. Super Cruise is also hands off. Note that it uses Onstar for the feature. The first three years of Super Cruise is free but after that you have to pay for an Onstar subscription which comes to about $300 a year. worth it???? Hmmm.
"Super Cruise is only available on compatible roads that are separated from opposing traffic."

Having watched pretty much every single Ioniq 5 review video and comments on the features, it is not clear if the LFA and LKA operate on any road or only the highways.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
208 Posts
I believe some of the current ICE Hyundai have the same system. At least one of my friends car was described as having these features. So you may be able to test drive one othem.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,218 Posts
The LKA system in my 2019 Ioniq needs to see a painted line on both sides of the lane, it won't work on roads with a yellow line down the middle and just a shoulder (or grass) on the right without a white line at the edge. It also ping pongs a bit at times, which the more modern LFA found in 2020 and up Ioniqs corrects. I would expect the Ioniq 5 to be even better yet again, but whether or not it still needs paint on both sides of the lane is something I can't answer.

Reactions: Jan Treur

·
Registered
43 Posts
Current Niro EV has a similar system. Works well with roads that have well defined lane markings (white lines or clear defined curbs) System falls down on narrow country roads that have no central white line but only defined edges on each side of the road. Feature needs turning off in this situation else you get steered towards oncoming traffic. In UK LKA defaults to on each time the car is switched on because of safety regulations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
At least in mine, LKA works even if only the border line of the road is visible. The line doesn’t even need to be perfectly painted on the road, it could be in bad shape but the car would still recognize it.

FLA works without hands during 20-25 seconds, in Spain

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have LKA in a 2020 Ioniq. Always turn it off as it just zigzags within the lane. More of a safety than convenience feature really. Not tried LFA, although would imagine it is a lot more useful

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The LKA system in my 2019 Ioniq needs to see a painted line on both sides of the lane, it won't work on roads with a yellow line down the middle and just a shoulder (or grass) on the right without a white line at the edge. It also ping pongs a bit at times, which the more modern LFA found in 2020 and up Ioniqs corrects. I would expect the Ioniq 5 to be even better yet again, but whether or not it still needs paint on both sides of the lane is something I can't answer.
The reviews that I watched where it was mentioned, were all on two painted line roads.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
My '18 requires not only painted lines (can be dashed lines) on both sides, but also some minimum lane width to work. So even in the US, it switches on and off on several times on the almost perfectly straight 5 mile with good lines two lane road (Ohio of course) I take to and from home - because the lane width is marginally within parameters. I've been on twisty back roads on trips (too much of a curve also disables it) where the constant jerking on the wheel is so bad that I disable it. Always works on interstates except for when the lines go away at exit ramps.

No doubt newer systems are more capable, but never trust them to be reliable. An optical or radar glitch (both of which can happen from sources outside the car as well as car systems and programs) could turn it off for say one second - enough for a possible fatality. That is why better systems require attention, and may only work on fully mapped motorways. After LIDAR has been included in OEM cars for at least 5 years, then we may have more trustworthy car assistance systems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i believe the hardware and system is the same as the new genesis gv70 and maybe gv80. you could maybe try test driving those to see how it works

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
222 Posts
My '18 requires not only painted lines (can be dashed lines) on both sides, but also some minimum lane width to work. So even in the US, it switches on and off on several times on the almost perfectly straight 5 mile with good lines two lane road (Ohio of course) I take to and from home - because the lane width is marginally within parameters. I've been on twisty back roads on trips (too much of a curve also disables it) where the constant jerking on the wheel is so bad that I disable it. Always works on interstates except for when the lines go away at exit ramps.

No doubt newer systems are more capable, but never trust them to be reliable. An optical or radar glitch (both of which can happen from sources outside the car as well as car systems and programs) could turn it off for say one second - enough for a possible fatality. That is why better systems require attention, and may only work on fully mapped motorways. After LIDAR has been included in OEM cars for at least 5 years, then we may have more trustworthy car assistance systems.
We'll probably never see mass adoption of LIDAR, due to relative bulk and technical limitations due to it needing direct vision (it can't be hidden behind body panels like radar or ultrasonic modules, for instance). mmWave radar, however, seems plausible. It would theoretically offer the kind of resolution that could help better detect and identify the situational context. That said, ultimately, these systems will always be limited by the nature of static programming. As human drivers we have a hard enough time finding lane lines in rain, under ice, when the paint is faded, when roads are realigned, when new pavement hasn't been painted yet, the list goes on. We learn to guess, but we can't really expect what is essentially a sophisticated line following algorithm to do the same. Eventually the technology will legitimately be good enough to be effectively autonomous, but that will take many more years of experimentation and incredibly sophisticated heuristic algorithms (and the kinds of sensor fusion even military hardware doesn't approach).

In short: We can't reasonably expect perfection.
There are two real questions:
1) Does Hyundai learn and improve the thing over time (the consensus seems to say yes)
2) How does their implementation stack up against, say, VW/Nissan/Ford?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quite scary. What happens with LKA when there is work in progress on the road, and traffic is steered away from old but still existing white lines on to new temporary yellow lines (Europe) , (possibly with incoming traffic in the opposite direction) ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quite scary. What happens with LKA when there is work in progress on the road, and traffic is steered away from old but still existing white lines on to new temporary yellow lines (Europe) , (possibly with incoming traffic in the opposite direction) ?
You do what you're supposed to do. Be paying attention, disable it, and drive. This is how people keep getting into accidents messing around with Tesla autopilot. These systems are meant to be driver assistance features in good conditions, not crutches.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In UK lane assist is activated whenever the car is started. No option to disable as default. This is safety requirement mandated in UK. Not sure if the same applies to other European countries.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dumb question: Is it possible to navigate on the infotainment system using steering wheel controls? Some of the buttons on the right side look like they might be for that. That could reduce the faffing.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
In UK lane assist is activated whenever the car is started. No option to disable as default. This is safety requirement mandated in UK. Not sure if the same applies to other European countries.
Such a mandate would then apply to even the least expensive cars sold in the UK?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Only applies to cars that have the LKA capability. It is not a requirement for all cars to have this feature, so cheaper cars will probably not have it. Cars are tested for safety to Euro NCAP standards and features such as LKA improve the cars safety rating. So far the Ioniq 5 has not been formally tested in UK to get a safety rating.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts