Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I had a question I was hoping people could help me with. I got a 2018 Ioniq Plug in hybrid and it's been working fine but in the last week the end of the clamp that secures the charger to the car snapped off so I can no longer secure it to the car. I spoke to the dealer about replacing it or fixing it and they said all they could do is sell me a new one and I got quoted one price over $1000 from one guys and one at $1500 Canadian from another guy (both at the same dealer not sure the difference unless one was just giving a generic number). I've tried using some super glue on the end and that didn't work but I'm hoping that's because there was a big dip in the piece where it broke out and the glue didn't bond to much. I'm giving it another shot with more glue across more surface area and going to see if it holds but if that doesn't work anyone have any advice? Some glue that might work better in bonding the parts together?

I have noticed that I can put the plug in the car and it does start charging but since it's not locked in, I was hesitant to let it charge like that. Anyone agree that would be bad or think it would be fine still?

Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry to hear about the broken part. Would it not be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was under warranty I would have assumed they would have just replaced it but they didn't offer that. I'm guessing not but if I have to replace it I'll double check with the dealer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe call around to your local wreckers? Somebody's got to have written a few of these off by now, and you may even get one that's never been used (mine was only used for the first four nights before my Flo Home was installed).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe call around to your local wreckers? Somebody's got to have written a few of these off by now, and you may even get one that's never been used (mine was only used for the first four nights before my Flo Home was installed).
That's a really good idea. Didn't even think of that. I'll take a look at some and see if they have one. Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How to tell if it’s working correctly, not damaged and safe to use?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think you can find level 1 replacement chargers on Amazon for around $200 US. Tell the salesman at the dealership to take his $1500 replacement charger and shove it up his ...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey guys I had a question I was hoping people could help me with. I got a 2018 Ioniq Plug in hybrid and it's been working fine but in the last week the end of the clamp that secures the charger to the car snapped off so I can no longer secure it to the car. I spoke to the dealer about replacing it or fixing it and they said all they could do is sell me a new one and I got quoted one price over $1000 from one guys and one at $1500 Canadian from another guy (both at the same dealer not sure the difference unless one was just giving a generic number). I've tried using some super glue on the end and that didn't work but I'm hoping that's because there was a big dip in the piece where it broke out and the glue didn't bond to much. I'm giving it another shot with more glue across more surface area and going to see if it holds but if that doesn't work anyone have any advice? Some glue that might work better in bonding the parts together?

I have noticed that I can put the plug in the car and it does start charging but since it's not locked in, I was hesitant to let it charge like that. Anyone agree that would be bad or think it would be fine still?

Thanks.
I don't think there's any danger in using it the way it is. The connector pins are of different lengths, so that if you pull out the plug, the signalling pins will disconnect first and stop the charging before the pins that carry the power have been disconnected. The risk is of course that someone might steal the cable ( = one less problem to worry about!), or disconnect it out of mischief.

You can buy just the plug, and any decent electrician should be able to replace it for you.

Or, as has been suggested, buy a complete third party replacement charger, or (if you can find one) a used original one at a junkyard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is no problem using it like that. No danger or anything.
If you are too concerned, there are aftermarket plugs out there. Look for just the plug and have an electrician replace yours. Its just a matter of wiring 4 wires inside the plug. Duosida being the most decent brand I know of.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It may be different for U.K. cars, but when I lock my PHEV with the charger in, it locks the charger in place and it can’t be removed until you unlock the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It may be different for U.K. cars, but when I lock my PHEV with the charger in, it locks the charger in place and it can’t be removed until you unlock the car.
US and Canada cars still use Type 1 (J1772) plug to charge. We in Europe use Type 2 which is locked by the socket and has no button on the plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily I was able to find someone else selling their old charger since they no longer had their Ioniq due to a car crash. Going to pick it up on Wednesday for a fraction of the price compared to the dealer. Should solve things for me assuming it works.

Considering the nature of the break on my charger though I had a question. Since day 1 I've found it a bit hard to get the charger in at times. I can't just insert it and call it a day I tend to have to push on the handle hard and push up a bit to lock it in. Is this normal or should it be very simple to lock in?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The only time I had an issue getting the cable to lock was after snow got into it as I'd unplugged it in the morning. Maybe there's something stuck in yours that can be dislodged with a chopstick or something. Give it a good inspection with your phone flashlight, the J1772 design has that deep groove around the perimeter of the socket for stuff to get jammed in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you don't find anything lodged inside the socket or plug, I would suggest using silicone spray lubricant on both the plug and the socket. Use a lot of it ... wash them lubricant. You will never have any problems inserting the plug.
Be sure to use the right lubricant as anything else than silicone would make everything oily and disgusting. Silicone spray lubricant dries up and doesn't stay oily on the surfaces.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ya someone broke into my car and stole mine a while back.. I don't have an opertuity to use it very offen so i am not drooping a grand for a new one.. **** even $200 bucks on amazon seems not worth it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts