Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not talking about winter 'cold' driving. Just a car that's been sitting off for a few hours. My understanding is that ICE engine takes a little while to get warm up and the fuel economy will improve after the first few km/mi, be that winter or summer. Does this applies to EV also? Meaning does EV's efficiency improves after a few km/mi or does it stays constant (I understand in winter the efficiency will improve when the battery/motor is warm) so let's assume I am talking about summer time, thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am not talking about winter 'cold' driving. Just a car that's been sitting off for a few hours. My understanding is that ICE engine takes a little while to get warm up and the fuel economy will improve after the first few km/mi, be that winter or summer. Does this applies to EV also? Meaning does EV's efficiency improves after a few km/mi or does it stays constant (I understand in winter the efficiency will improve when the battery/motor is warm) so let's assume I am talking about summer time, thanks
Simple answer is no, it’s not the same. The EV can turn on and drive immediately. The trade off is the reduced overall range in cold temperatures. Also, the cabin is obviously still cold, but gets warm 5x faster than an ICE car

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Battery efficiency does increase with warming to a certain point. About the only practical thing to do here is finish charging just before driving. Or, as in another thread, leave car closed with direct sunlight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts