Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Manual states "When driving on a slippery road, push the shift lever forward into the + (Up) position. This causes the transmission to shift into the 2nd gear which is better for smooth driving on a slippery road. Push the shift lever to the - (Down) side to shift back to the 1st gear"

Does the Ioniq actually pull away from standstill in second if you follow this process or do you have to be moving or wheels spinning?

Thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi,

Manual states "When driving on a slippery road, push the shift lever forward into the + (Up) position. This causes the transmission to shift into the 2nd gear which is better for smooth driving on a slippery road. Push the shift lever to the - (Down) side to shift back to the 1st gear"

Does the Ioniq actually pull away from standstill in second if you follow this process or do you have to be moving or wheels spinning?

Thanks.
I assume you just hold it on the brake and select 2nd before pulling away? That would make it akin to what some automatics have with their snow mode or winter mode buttons that basically make the gearbox pull away in 2nd rather than first. Thats just from what I have read having never driven an auto in my life until I test drive the ioniq and not receiving mine yet for a few more weeks

·
Registered
37 Posts
My previous car (Citroen C5) changed the gear to 3rd in "snow-mode" when pulling away from standstill. That worked just fine, so 2nd gear in Ioniq should be ok.

·
Registered
725 Posts
tried it and it didn't go into 2nd, just stayed in first

will try again later
Just reading the manual and all it really says is when driving on slippery roads push the sick forwards to shift it up to second. I guess therefore that you would take your foot off the brake and let it creep forwards whilst shifting up to second maybe?

If the wheels are going to spin whilst your creeping I guess they are going to spin in any gear ;-) but shifting up to second early simply reduces the chances of spinning when applying the throttle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just reading the manual and all it really says is when driving on slippery roads push the sick forwards to shift it up to second. I guess therefore that you would take your foot off the brake and let it creep forwards whilst shifting up to second maybe?

If the wheels are going to spin whilst your creeping I guess they are going to spin in any gear ;-) but shifting up to second early simply reduces the chances of spinning when applying the throttle.
For nearly 30 winters of experience in icy / snowy contidions I'd say you'd get the most of it, when pulling away from standstill. It's then when the 2nd (or 3rd) gear helps to avoid spinning most. Of course it helps to have higher gear in slow speeds also, but when not having "snow-mode" you'd have to change gears manually - and that's abit monkeying around. I wouldn't bother if it wasn't VERY slippery.

I used snow-mode in my C5 quite alot, so next winter I will miss that...

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
jut tried again, definitely can't do it from standstill

tried parking brake on and off - nope

tried straight into sport the single push forward - nope

tried pushing forward couple of time - nope

tried pushing forward and holding for few seconds - nope

tried the above after pulling back once - nope

couldn't think of any more options

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi,

Thanks.
There are several cut & pastes in the Ioniq manual taken from non-hybrid manuals that aren't applicable to the Ioniq. This is another. The electric motor gets the Ioniq underway so there's no reason to "select a higher gear" to start off with on slippery surfaces. The electric motor can feed power to the wheels very smoothly and gradually.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Just curious as I have a dsg box in my current golf and it's the only thing that I wish I could do and when I saw the text in the manual I was suprised. i put Michelin cross climates on the golf given I live out in the sticks to give a bit better purchase in slippy conditions. I won't do that with the Ioniq, I'd probably take the golf if the weather was icy/snowy as I wouldn't trust the wife in those conditions. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the Ioniq is pretty good in the snow, wen we had the snow just after xmas the sat nav took me some very "interesting" roads to avoid issues on the M25

I got a very good test in the snow :)

no drama's just take your foot off the brake and let it creep ten light foot and alls good

·
Registered
166 Posts
the Ioniq is pretty good in the snow, wen we had the snow just after xmas the sat nav took me some very "interesting" roads to avoid issues on the M25

I got a very good test in the snow :)

no drama's just take your foot off the brake and let it creep ten light foot and alls good
That's interesting, I was a bit concerned that the high torque characteristic of the electric motor would make it a handful in snow.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
That's interesting, I was a bit concerned that the high torque characteristic of the electric motor would make it a handful in snow.
nope, so long as light right foot it was good, you could limit the initial torque by not taking your foot right off the brake to get moving on the real slippery stuff

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
nope, don't use the right foot, just don't fully take your foot off the brake until you have picked up to 2-3 mph so as to limit the power to the wheels, then easy with the right foot

as every it all depends on the road conditions, I found the above worked well when other cars were struggling with grip to get away

·
Registered
384 Posts
nope, so long as light right foot it was good, you could limit the initial torque by not taking your foot right off the brake to get moving on the real slippery stuff
I had the experience of driving the Ioniq on sheet ice and I had no problem starting uphill. (With winter tyres though) The brake pedale can be used to control torque at very low speed. In eco mode the brake pedal isn't really a brake pedale when it is only slightly depressed. It seems to behave like a "decelarator": it slows the motor down.

However when driving on sheet ice I was annoyed that the ESP kicked in too easily. I couldn't stop the car when I wanted to, apparently because the ESP was afraid I would lose control of the direction. I thought that would be the action of the ABS, but the display in the instruments panel was that of the ESP, not the ABS.

·
Registered
344 Posts
nope, don't use the right foot, just don't fully take your foot off the brake until you have picked up to 2-3 mph so as to limit the power to the wheels, then easy with the right foot

as every it all depends on the road conditions, I found the above worked well when other cars were struggling with grip to get away
Ahh okay okay let it build up momentum on it's own without the push and then slip into it kinda thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts