Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MIL went on when my wife started up our 2018 Ioniq PHEV after leaving work. This happened twice, the first time was a month ago. I took it to the dealer for scheduled oil change and they never gave me any information about the code even though I requested it. I made sure it was added to the service report. I have very little confidence in the service department for the PHEV, but maybe I am just overly cautious.

I pulled the code using my OBD2 reader and DID NOT reset the data, I just used the tool (OBDLink) to read the code: P0D4E

Does anyone know what the code is all about? This car is only 15 months old and has only 12k miles on it -- 10k of it all-electric work commute. Otherwise the car runs fine and we've only had to do the scheduled service at the dealership to keep in perfect standing with the warranty. We like the car, but having the MIL pop on every month or so completely ruins the experience for us. If we wanted to deal with that, we would have just bought used. Could use some guidance as I don;t really trust the local dealer's service department.

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
a quick goodle for obd2+code+P0D4E

leads me to https://www.autocodes.com/search_codes.php?q=P0D4E

"P0D4E - Battery Charger Hybrid/EV Battery Output Voltage Sensor Circuit Low Voltage"

what's not clear is if it is the 12v or the traction battery

it could be an issue with the onboard charger, so off to dealer me thinks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The strange thing is this only happens at my wife's work where there are Level 2 chargers for EVs. She's sending them the code as well to see what the deal might be with the charger. We only charge at home with the Level 1 that came with, so I'm defo going to have a dealer take a look at it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
MIL went on when my wife started up our 2018 Ioniq PHEV after leaving work. This happened twice, the first time was a month ago. I took it to the dealer for a scheduled oil change and they never gave me any information about the code even though I requested it. I made sure it was added to the service report. I have very little confidence in the service department for the PHEV, but maybe I am just overly cautious.

I pulled the code using my OBD2 reader and DID NOT reset the data, I just used the tool (OBDLink) to read the code: P0D4E

Does anyone know what the code is all about? This car is only 15 months old and has only 12k miles on it -- 10k of it all-electric work commute. Otherwise, the car runs fine and we've only had to do the scheduled service at the dealership to keep in perfect standing with the warranty. We like the car, but having the MIL pop on every month or so completely ruins the experience for us. If we wanted to deal with that, we would have just bought used. I could use some guidance as I don't really trust the local dealer's service department.
I have the same model and year. I think what happened to me this past summer is that the sensor that is supposed to detect the level of charge in the 12v accessory battery failed so the battery ran flat. That left me stranded in a parking lot, fortunately the emergency towing service number is on the windshield and my phone was in my pocket not locked in the car!
That was on a Saturday. I spent a week with an AWD Sntafe which cost me $50 CDN for fuel...argh!
They say that the 12v lead acid battery failed and it took a week to replace it! Not likely! Why do dealerships think we are morons?
It is more likely the sensor that failed and it took 5 days to ship it from Korea as they will not have a stock of parts for such a new model.
I think we will have to expect these sorts of niggles since the model and technology are so new.
The Ioniq is still the best and most enjoyable car I have ever experienced!

Corrected with Grammarly. Thanks, Grammarly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
L1(granny charger) and L2 (fast chargers) use the onboard charge controller

L3 (Rapid chargers) have the charge controller in the them,

I would try another L2 charger somewhere else to confirm if it is the car or charger
Still haven't had the occasion to use another charger other than the Hyundai charger. Schedule has changed so missing out on plug-in spots at work these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts