Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the arrival of my Fully electric Ioniq EV is imminent. As such I have been doing a bit of charge readiness for my public charging opportunities.

Coming from a PHEV, there is inevitably going to be some range anxiety involved. Mitigating this is going to be somewhat of a challenge, but I have made a start by installing a few charging apps.
Despite having had the PHEV for over two years now, I have never actually utilised a public charging point, therefore it will be somewhat of an adventure!

So far, I have Podpoint, Charge Your Car, and Ecotricity apps, along with RFID cards for the latter two companies.

Being based in the Midlands, any suggestions for other networks will of course be welcome. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The New Motion, Chargemap?
Interesting suggestions, thank you.

Unfortunately;
New Motion does list charge points in the UK, but you cannot use their App or RFID to access them. At least, not any of the sample charge points I have looked at on their map.

Chargemap registration does not want to accept an email address ending in .co.uk, so that appears to be a no-no as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Chargemap registration does not want to accept an email address ending in .co.uk, so that appears to be a no-no as well.
In the app (android) you don't need to register or login to see the chargers. Just press "public access" on the starting page.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First Public Charge

Picked up the car yesterday around Midday, spent a couple of hours changing my Home charger type 1 tethered cable to type 2, and all worked well.

Today I just had to try a public charger for the first time ever.

My local shopping 'precinct' has six charge points, all free, but only 7kW. I had about half hour whilst doing the weekly shop in the supermarket, so dropped off SWMBO at the front of the store and glided onwards to the EV bays.

Two of them were ICE'd :mad: , but reversed into a free bay and retrieved my charge cable from the boot (shame it doesn't fit under the floor).
The charge post had two type 2 connectors, labelled A & B. The LCD cycled between three messages - 'Connector A Error', 'Connector B Ready', and 'present card' (or words to that effect). No other instructions (that I noticed anyway) or any indication as to which network the posts are operated by.

I tried presenting my CYC RFID card, and presto! the flaps covering the connectors unlocked. Progress, I thought! The display then changed to 'connect cable', at which point I plugged it in - first to the post, then to the car. Now I was so wrapped up in what I was doing I cannot remember if I had to present the card again, but in any event, the car started charging. Success, or at least on the way to same!

Half an hour or so later I returned to the car, and had to think to myself 'how on earth do I stop the charge?'. I think I did it by presenting the card again, and at some point the display showed 35 minutes time elapsed, and 4.183kWh dispensed.

So, no longer am I a public charge virgin! ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice read, makes me think of my "first time". Especially how to get the **** plug out of the machine. The charger was a 10 minutes walk from home, so I went home during charging. When I came back to disconnect I didnt have the card with me. Obviously I couldn't disconnect and had to walk back and forth home to fetch the card :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so that charge was free?
Absolutely! And the posts are 'generic' and operated by the site developers, so most any RFID card will work (so I've read).

Nice read, makes me think of my "first time". Especially how to get the **** plug out of the machine. The charger was a 10 minutes walk from home, so I went home during charging. When I came back to disconnect I didnt have the card with me. Obviously I couldn't disconnect and had to walk back and forth home to fetch the card :D
Thanks. I had a charge cable in my Outlander's underfloor storage box, but it never saw the light of day. Obviously now I don't have an ICE anymore I may well need the public network to fall back on, so experience is clearly required! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Picked up my Ioniq EV at the weekend and have had two far from ideal public charging experiences so far.

First charger I tried was in a car park in Aberfoyle in Scotland. The challenge here was that due to layout of the parking bays with respect to the charger the captive cables of the charger have to reach round the charger and across the parking bay. The extra couple of feet going round the charger meant that the cables were not long enough to reach the charge port of my Ioniq if it was parked nicely in the parking bay as it should be. The only way I got it to reach was to reverse up to the charger half on the pavement and half on the road parking bay. An extra couple of feet would have been perfect.
Being the first day we had the car I was a little anxious about leaving it for long in such a precarious position so after 30 minutes we went back to the car to find that we had only gotten 3.8kWhr charge - then I realised this was only a 7kWhr cable .... still though 30 mins free charge is better than no charge :)

On the way home we decided to try one of these fancy rapid charger things - we had plenty of juice but just wanted more experience charging the car at a public charger. So we used the sat nav to find one on the route home and chose Balmaha. When we got here we found again that the cables were neat in length and would never reach with our nose pointed in so I reversed out and did a wee quick lap of the car park before reversing into the parking bay. Of course it was only when I got out to plug the cable in that I noticed the charging station was dead!

We had bags of range left in the car and so went the scenic route home having had enough public charger adventures for the day... :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've now had three free charging sessions (at the same 'local' location) :)

First one - 4.183kWh, 35 mins - I drove off and left the charging flap open and the cover dangling...
Second one - 3.015 kWh, 20-odd mins - nearly lost my RFID card
Third one - forgot to check the display before it reverted back to 'Show card' !

The moral of the story? Practice makes perfect!

NB. Never seen a 7kW public charger with 'captive' cables - usually only rapid (50kW+) chargers have tethered cables, perhaps different north of the border?...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts