Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I do not yet own an Ioniq but am reasonably certain I will be in the market for one by the end of 2019. I have a few niggling questions that I can't seem to find answers to and would like to ask input from those who have already taken the plunge.

The first is this, and I may come up with others over the intervening months before purchase:

Can the vehicle be locked from inside while it is off? I understand from reading that if the proximity key is within 3 feet of the door, it will unlock with a touch of the little button (?) on the door handle. Well you see, if you are inside the vehicle, you will be within 3 feet of the door.

Why would anyone want to do this, you may ask? Camping, or perhaps I should call it "glamping" (particulary with BEV model and climate control left on all night as recommended by Bjorn Nyland in one of his videos), alternately travelling or occasionally pretending to be homeless whether out of convenience or necessity, one could think of many reasons to want to sleep inside the vehicle on occasion. And if I were to do that, I would want to be certain the door is locked prior to nodding off. Yes, I am fully aware that tent doors do not lock, but I also don't set up tents in random parking lots where more hazardous (two-legged) animals may occasionally prowl.

If any of you have tested this, please provide your input. I suppose one alternate would be to lock the doors, then place the key in an RFID blocking sleeve, so if it is not possible based on the car's settings then that would be my workaround.

Thanks,

"Iconiq"

:nerd:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hello, I do not yet own an Ioniq but am reasonably certain I will be in the market for one by the end of 2019. I have a few niggling questions that I can't seem to find answers to and would like to ask input from those who have already taken the plunge.

The first is this, and I may come up with others over the intervening months before purchase:

Can the vehicle be locked from inside while it is off? I understand from reading that if the proximity key is within 3 feet of the door, it will unlock with a touch of the little button (?) on the door handle. Well you see, if you are inside the vehicle, you will be within 3 feet of the door.

Why would anyone want to do this, you may ask? Camping, or perhaps I should call it "glamping" (particulary with BEV model and climate control left on all night as recommended by Bjorn Nyland in one of his videos), alternately travelling or occasionally pretending to be homeless whether out of convenience or necessity, one could think of many reasons to want to sleep inside the vehicle on occasion. And if I were to do that, I would want to be certain the door is locked prior to nodding off. Yes, I am fully aware that tent doors do not lock, but I also don't set up tents in random parking lots where more hazardous (two-legged) animals may occasionally prowl.

If any of you have tested this, please provide your input. I suppose one alternate would be to lock the doors, then place the key in an RFID blocking sleeve, so if it is not possible based on the car's settings then that would be my workaround.

Thanks,

"Iconiq"

:nerd:
Hi, I’ve just been out and tried it.
Not sure of your location but my top spec UK BEV allows me lock/unlock the car from inside, either from the fob or the lock/unlock switch on the driver’s armrest

Hope that helps

·
Super Moderator
2,085 Posts
There's a button on the door ( inside car ) that you can use to lock the door when driving , so the key would obviously lock from inside when you have the key with you . I should think you would lock it while the car is on then power it off and it will remain locked .
Probably would be best to put the key in an RFID sleeve after locking it though .

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yes, it can be locked.
And then the door will still open (from locked) just by working the normal latch.
It senses the presence of the key and makes sensible decisions for the driver that should do what you ask. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Very interesting question. I often sleep in my car and lock the doors from the inside, never once considering that they could still be easily opened. I will be carrying a piece of aluminum foil from now on to act as a Faraday cage to stop car from recognizing the key fob after locking!

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
Very interesting question. I often sleep in my car and lock the doors from the inside, never once considering that they could still be easily opened. I will be carrying a piece of aluminum foil from now on to act as a Faraday cage to stop car from recognizing the key fob after locking!
It seems like it would be fairly easy thing to test with a significant other or a friend. The car does know the key is inside it and might not respond to the external door button to unlock it. I know it won't lock with that button if the key is inside it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If locked from inside, the doors cannot be opened from outside for security

Reactions: ZeRaW

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If locked from inside, the doors cannot be opened from outside for security

I can verify that, it would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot if it didn't...

I usually have the doors locked while driving and have on several occasions been mistaken for a cab by a dribbling pisshead outsde the train station while waiting for the missus.
Either it doesn't open, else the car is a LOT smarter than we give it credit for, is able to detect the presence of vomit-staining on the pisshead - and locks the doors to prevent ingress... >:)

Reactions: Decro

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
I can verify that, it would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot if it didn't...

I usually have the doors locked while driving and have on several occasions been mistaken for a cab by a dribbling pisshead outsde the train station while waiting for the missus.
Either it doesn't open, else the car is a LOT smarter than we give it credit for, is able to detect the presence of vomit-staining on the pisshead - and locks the doors to prevent ingress... >:)
Have you ever yelled "Get off my lawn!" at any young'uns? :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
WTF seriously, you sleep in your car, why, I wouldn't carry a piece of foil, I'd carry a bat !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wondering - any anyone successfully created a faraday cage using foil? I tried wrapping my fob in foil and the car recognized the fob as if the foil wasn't even present. The closest I was able to achieve was taking a metal bandaid box, soldering jumper wires between the top, the middle and the base of the box (to ensure electrical connectivity) and placing the fob inside the box. I found that the box had to be almost against the car before the 'welcome' lights in the driver door handle would light and I could unlock the door. Theoretically, the car shouldn't have been able to sense the fob at all - no matter how close it was to the door. If I remember correctly, the size of acceptable gaps in a faraday cage are based on the frequency of the signal - maybe this has something to do with my failures. **update** just found an article that states you need 3 layers of heavy duty foil encasing the object in order to block the signals. They also recommend grounding the cage if signals continue to leak out.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I have my spare fob inside my car with aluminum foil and the car doesn't sense it. I hide the mechanical key outside the car. Thus I can never be locked out if my keys are lost or stolen.

Just did a test with window open to access outside door handle button. With fob inside car with me and locking the car from the inside with any of three methods, the outside car door button will not unlock the car. You really had me going there!

·
Registered
537 Posts
He later upgraded his Mini’s security system to a steering wheel bar with a padlock, or am I going senile?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts