Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I think most people on this forum will agree that an Ioniq looks far better than a current Prius—apologies if you don't.

But the Prius has been around now for over 20 years, and to be honest, I don't believe I've ever consciously seen a first generation Prius, either in in person, or even in a photograph, until today. That first MY 1998 Prius actually looks like a normal car...very similar to a Toyota Tercel of the time, probably even modeled on the Tercel, as I discovered when I came across a post today from the Crown Corporation that manages the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology, Ingenium:

The article talks a bit about the early Prius and shows a picture of one the museum currently has in storage:

PHOTO CREDIT
Toyota Prius in storage at the Canada Science and Technology Museum (CSTMC/2002.0351.001.aa.cs)
So what happened to the design of the Prius over the past 20 years?

I think the first Prii I ever actually saw up close were in about 2005, and by then the design had already started moving from the picture above to what we see today.

Interesting look back at history, at least.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I see a couple of 1st generation Priuses on the roads in my local town quite regularly, and certainly they look sufficiently like a 'normal' car that unless you're familiar with the model itself, you'd barely notice it, certainly not that it was 'different' in any meaningful way.

Having owned a 2nd generation model, 2 3rd generation and been at the point of buying a 4th gen, I've seen how the models have evolved away from the 'ordinary' with each generational change. At first I'd say the changes were primarily for low drag, improved efficiency, up to and including the 3rd generation, but the 4th.... well, that seems to have been intended to set it apart and scream 'PRIUS!' as loudly as possible.

Its design cues have sharpened it and given it the feel of a bit of a caricature of itself, particularly on the inside. I much prefer the Ioniq, which wears its green credentials rather less loudly, and which seems to focus more on the driving of it than the showing off in it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
In our green conscious village there are a couple of Gen 1 Prii. Personally, I notice them every time as being particularly ugly, and then notice they are a Prius. I like the looks of Gen 2 and 3, and second generation of the Insight a bit better. But the Ioniq is definitely the best looker of all Prii and Insights.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Most cars have cup holders but the latest prius seems to think a urinal in the centre is necessary for after your coffee. Or is that just my mind racing after seeing huge white cup holders in the centre console?

·
Registered
444 Posts
In our green conscious village there are a couple of Gen 1 Prii. Personally, I notice them every time as being particularly ugly, and then notice they are a Prius. I like the looks of Gen 2 and 3, and second generation of the Insight a bit better. But the Ioniq is definitely the best looker of all Prii and Insights.
IMO current Honda Insight (3rd generation) looks at least as good as Ioniq. It’s a nice car, which performs almost as well in fuel efficiency. You might confuse it with upper trim of Civic, so it looks very much like a “regular” car. The drawback - it’s a sedan with a bit lower MPG and less cargo space. It is swifter with more powerful drivetrain, though. If it was available at the time I considered Ioniq as my next car contender, I might have gone for it.
I agree to 2nd and 3rd Prius generations looking reasonable. No space age thrills and urinators in the cockpit, yet.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most cars have cup holders but the latest prius seems to think a urinal in the centre is necessary for after your coffee. Or is that just my mind racing after seeing huge white cup holders in the centre console?
No offence intended here, as except for the current POTUS, l love my cousins to the south, but:

Probably done to cater to all the large Americans with their big gulp sodas, who can't wait to the next service centre on the interstate to relieve their bladders... 🤠😈

·
Registered
302 Posts
The 2nd and 3rd gen Prius actually looks decent. Very futuristic but classy. The latest generation is just awful. It looks like what Ford did with their Taurus back in 1996. You know the one that looks like a cat fish?

·
Registered
277 Posts
News article on TV here about kissing your pet... maybe the catfish but definately not thr Taurus! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts