Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yup, I hope a fall release will actually be a late August release. I definitely do want to test drive option I am interested in just to ensure it has enough giddy up and go. Having been driving higher performance sedan oriented cars myself for the last 5 years I don't want to regret it later that I don't have at least decent 0-60 acceleration. I have already accepted the fact nothing in my price range will replace my S4 w a Stage 1 & a 4.4 0-60 time. I will accept the high 6 to 7 range for the gas/maintenance savings couple w new technology
AWD config is rated at 5.1 seconds 0-60. That is supercar territory as it is. Idk how noticeable that is (my mazda3 is somewhere sub 8 seconds, so anythinig will feel ridiculously fast by comparison) (I think perhaps we need to put a stop to the obsession with 0-60 times, considering almost nowhere outside of tracks is that kind of power really useful... Or maybe a standard should be set of "this is danged fast and anything more is just ridiculous" and let that be the end of it)

·
Registered
2020 Kona Highlander electric
115 Posts
AWD config is rated at 5.1 seconds 0-60. That is supercar territory as it is. Idk how noticeable that is (my mazda3 is somewhere sub 8 seconds, so anythinig will feel ridiculously fast by comparison) (I think perhaps we need to put a stop to the obsession with 0-60 times, considering almost nowhere outside of tracks is that kind of power really useful... Or maybe a standard should be set of "this is danged fast and anything more is just ridiculous" and let that be the end of it)
Like “ludicrous mode” in the Tesla S? 😳

·
Registered
27 Posts
The other thing to consider is that in order to do those quoted 0-60 times on any ICE car you need to be revving the engine exactly right at launch and hitting the gear changes perfectly, whereas in an EV you will be able to hit it perfectly every time just by putting your foot down when the light changes, so unless someone is really trying you're going to beat an ICE car off the lights 99% of the time thanks to that instant torque.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Like “ludicrous mode” in the Tesla S? 😳
Let me put it this way. Tesla strapping rockets to a car just to make it accelerate faster is way beyond the pale. Granted, I'm a fairly conservative driver, but there isn't really much point to 0-60 acceleration below 5s. Realistically, 8s is more than enough (though it's slow enough that accelerating onto highways can feel a little sketchy). I'd rather the industry stabilize on a maximum reasonable "performance" level and focus instead on efficiency, comfort, and such (Put another way: What's more useful on a multi-hour ride? Acceleration that makes your eyes try to escape through the back of your head, or seats that don't make your butt hurt)

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts

I agree with you, I have driven a Harley Live Wire electric bike and own an H2 SX Supercharged bike so I know the difference between EV instant torque and ICE torque and ICE launch control and yada yada. Supercar territory imho is down near 4 secs, but at a real premium. I agree with you, I am into my mid 50's and speeding around w risk of a ticket and such is no longer a priority at all , I am not willing to accept reduced range for AWD at a higher cost. Give me range. I believe we will see a period where the majority of ev's will top out w a projected 600km range, more is not really needed if their is sufficent infrastructure, then a period will go by and the next gen will come in with greater range

·
Registered
115 Posts
Let me put it this way. Tesla strapping rockets to a car just to make it accelerate faster is way beyond the pale. Granted, I'm a fairly conservative driver, but there isn't really much point to 0-60 acceleration below 5s. Realistically, 8s is more than enough (though it's slow enough that accelerating onto highways can feel a little sketchy). I'd rather the industry stabilize on a maximum reasonable "performance" level and focus instead on efficiency, comfort, and such (Put another way: What's more useful on a multi-hour ride? Acceleration that makes your eyes try to escape through the back of your head, or seats that don't make your butt hurt)
Yeah, feel the same about max speeds. Unsure why everyone wants higher top speeds when there aren’t many places in the world where it can be used.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The sense of speed is relative and dependent on what you're used to. For me personally, anything > 7s 0-60 is slow. 5 seconds is a supercar from the 1970s - these days everything in that class does it in less than 3 ;)

That said, speed by itself is boring. I used to own a WRX with 360hp; I gladly traded it for an S2000 with far less power but much better handling and sense of mechanical engagement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That said, speed by itself is boring.
Totally agree. I used to travel between Darwin & eastern states in Aus regularly. Set the cruise control on 160 km/h for 10 hours (with 2 fuel stops - fuel consumption is a bit high at those speeds). Scenery was basically desert & scrub bush, occasionally broken by the odd eagle or other bird. No longer live in Darwin & now rarely top 110 km/h, so EVs suit me perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with you, I have driven a Harley Live Wire electric bike and own an H2 SX Supercharged bike so I know the difference between EV instant torque and ICE torque and ICE launch control and yada yada. Supercar territory imho is down near 4 secs, but at a real premium. I agree with you, I am into my mid 50's and speeding around w risk of a ticket and such is no longer a priority at all , I am not willing to accept reduced range for AWD at a higher cost. Give me range. I believe we will see a period where the majority of ev's will top out w a projected 600km range, more is not really needed if their is sufficent infrastructure, then a period will go by and the next gen will come in with greater range
2 years ago, I predicted that within the next 10 years most electric cars will have 1,000 km range. I maintain my prediction. The new solid state batteries will allow that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2 years ago, I predicted that within the next 10 years most electric cars will have 1,000 km range. I maintain my prediction. The new solid state batteries will allow that.
Once we get to a reliable ~500mile/800km range (in all weather conditions) it will become a moot point and other considerations like charge rate, longevity, weight, and mineral usage/environmental concerns will become more important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Once we get to a reliable ~500mile/800km range (in all weather conditions) it will become a moot point and other considerations like charge rate, longevity, weight, and mineral usage/environmental concerns will become more important.
Agreed

·
Registered
99 Posts
There are still some problems with solid state batteries, but it seems reasonable that we might have solid state batteries within the next ~8 years. That said, people looking to buy now probably shouldn't take that as a reason to wait the better part of a decade. The technology as we have it is mature enough for "prime time" already (if imperfect. But seriously, we've used ICEs for a century. Pretty darned imperfect even now)

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
20 Posts
Since this thread is titled ‘Pricing Estimates’, I thought I’d post this link regarding the just revealed price for the VW ID4 AWD:
I consider the ID4 to be direct competition to the Ioniq 5, due to size, specs, utility, and brand positioning.
Do you guys think this will have any effect on I5 pricing here in the States? I can’t imagine anyone paying $5-7K more for a Hyundai over an equally equipped VW, even though the I5 IMO is much cooler 😎

·
Registered
102 Posts
Since this thread is titled ‘Pricing Estimates’, I thought I’d post this link regarding the just revealed price for the VW ID4 AWD:
I consider the ID4 to be direct competition to the Ioniq 5, due to size, specs, utility, and brand positioning.
Do you guys think this will have any effect on I5 pricing here in the States? I can’t imagine anyone paying $5-7K more for a Hyundai over an equally equipped VW, even though the I5 IMO is much cooler 😎
VW could give ME 50k and I wouldn't drive their car. I am not joking or exaggerating. I hate that company.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
20 Posts
VW could give ME 50k and I wouldn't drive their car. I am not joking or exaggerating. I hate that company.
Haha. Diesel Gate residual anger? I understand. I’ve owned 3 VWs. Not sure I’d want to go back. But on a macro level, price is a major factor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Haha. Diesel Gate residual anger? I understand. I’ve owned 3 VWs. Not sure I’d want to go back. But on a macro level, price is a major factor.
Actually I did own one of the Passat’s, and I loved it!! Then I noticed some glitching around 35k miles on my computer and they kept ignoring it and refusing to do anything. Well wouldn’t you know before 37k it died and it fried the entire ecu too. Warranty done at 36k. The amount of energy I had to put in to make them honor the warranty back to my original complaints that it was happening was absurd. I also had their extended warranty for a few items like tires and it wasn’t a non stop fight anytime I wanted to use it. Between the dealer and the actual company I am just turned off for life.

I think people leasing them, or replacing every 2/3 years are probably fine. Heck they might be fine for 100k. I just mentally can’t give them another penny or support them in anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If Hyundai has any sense, they will pay attention and price the Ioniq 5 competitively. We've already seen Kia price the EV6 First Edition at an absurd $58,500.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts