Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
If over $50K they will not be competitive in my opinion and certainly not for me.
It's certainly a lot for a Hyundai. Looking at it in terms of features, you are getting some things that no one else has in the segment, like the HUD, dual pane windows on all doors, roof cover, 800v charging, etc. In terms of build quality, I'd take Hyundai over Tesla any day and probably Ford as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I think it’s the latter. Hyundai dealers have a reputation of making mark-ups wherever they can. The Ioniq will be a hot commodity at launch.
If demand is still low by the time these models reach the dealership, the deal should be in our favor. If they are still playing games, walk out and lay a loud fart.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If demand is still low by the time these models reach the dealership, the deal should in our favor. if they are still
playing games, walk out.
I agree. I will NOT pay over MSRP for anything. If hyundai plays that game they will lose most of their potential customers. As most of us are taking a risk by buying their product, I don't think they'd come back from that for years.

I'd write off the brand completely like I have for GM vehicles in that case and they would be banned from the house.

It's certainly a lot for a Hyundai. Looking at it in terms of features, you are getting some things that no one else has in the segment, like the HUD, dual pane windows on all doors, roof cover, 800v charging, etc. In terms of build quality, I'd take Hyundai over Tesla any day and probably Ford as well.
Right, you are right...BUT...this is Hyundai, if they want to get us, they NEED to offer more than anyone else, otherwise why would we take that risk on them? They have a **** history, their current ev's are lighting on fire... they really can't afford to fuck this up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree. I will NOT pay over MSRP for anything. If hyundai plays that game they will lose most of their potential customers. As most of us are taking a risk by buying their product, I don't think they'd come back from that for years.

I'd write off the brand completely like I have for GM vehicles in that case and they would be banned from the house.

Right, you are right...BUT...this is Hyundai, if they want to get us, they NEED to offer more than anyone else, otherwise why would we take that risk on them? They have a **** history, their current ev's are lighting on fire... they really can't afford to fuck this up.
I'm no expert (I drive a Mazda3, and before that a Ford Focus), but as I understand it Hyundai's reputation has improved dramatically in the last decade or so. The fire thing is disconcerting, but not unique to them, allegedly wasn't their fault anyway, and is being repaired (albeit this is literally the worst time in the last couple decades to be trying to do a mass repair program on account of world supply chains being a mess). So I don't know if it's really that much of a risk (though I'd definitely be interested to hear what other people have to say on the matter)

That said, nobody should ever really pay over MSRP for cars (at least in any reasonable case), and manufacturers/dealers playing games inflating prices is just generally sleazy and uncool. That said, with supply chains the way they are, I wouldn't be surprised if prices for all sorts of models bounced around in weird ways at least until the new year, and who knows how long. If that means people wait until supply chains stabilize, so what? Probably no harm in waiting a few months for them to work out the inevitable teething problems of a new model anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

I remember my roommate back in college who was from Korea said never buy a Korean car.
Seeing what both Hyundai and Kia have done over the past few years in terms of magic made me doubtful. But then I heard about engine fires and dishonest MPGs. I've decided to give them a chance. However, if I get duped at signing or hear the slightest rattle or squeak during a test drive, they can keep it. I will walk out making the smelliest fart mumbling profranity !!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The fire thing is disconcerting, but not unique to them, allegedly wasn't their fault anyway, and is being repaired (albeit this is literally the worst time in the last couple decades to be trying to do a mass repair program on account of world supply chains being a mess).
100% correct. The batteries were made by LG Chem and they were at fault. LG is paying for all the battery replacements in the cars that were recalled.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm no expert (I drive a Mazda3, and before that a Ford Focus), but as I understand it Hyundai's reputation has improved dramatically in the last decade or so. The fire thing is disconcerting, but not unique to them, allegedly wasn't their fault anyway, and is being repaired (albeit this is literally the worst time in the last couple decades to be trying to do a mass repair program on account of world supply chains being a mess). So I don't know if it's really that much of a risk (though I'd definitely be interested to hear what other people have to say on the matter)

That said, nobody should ever really pay over MSRP for cars (at least in any reasonable case), and manufacturers/dealers playing games inflating prices is just generally sleazy and uncool. That said, with supply chains the way they are, I wouldn't be surprised if prices for all sorts of models bounced around in weird ways at least until the new year, and who knows how long. If that means people wait until supply chains stabilize, so what? Probably no harm in waiting a few months for them to work out the inevitable teething problems of a new model anyway.
Some dealers are paying over msrp at auctions for used cars. So there are some situations it’s certainly warranted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a Hyundai GT N-Line new in 2019. Unfortunately I can't comment on long term reliability because it was hit and totaled 6 months later. Initial impressions were good, no squeaks or rattles or mechanical issues. Dealership experience was OK, I got a good price but they made me finance when I was prepared to pay cash. Gotta get those back-end profits I guess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My feeling is that Hyundai and Kia shouldn't have prolonged pricing after reservations have taken place.
They will either lose reservations once people find out it's too expensive or feel they were given a fair deal once pricing has been announced. However, unlike Tesla sales won't be complete until an agreement has been made at the dealership. The larger question of this sales equation will there be wiggle room to get a good deal or will the dealer end up screwing you after waiting months for your order hidden charges and a price hike.
I am seeing a price for a loaded Ultimate Project 45 at $65,000.00 OUCH Have seen an estimate as low as $55,000.00 The Tax rebate for me is totally useless. retired and pay no tax. Wish it lowered the price of the vehicle $7,500.00 Give the tax break to the dealer. What I really want is the RWD with the Limited trim. Everything you can get on the Ultimate. I had one jerk sales person tell me it will not be available in Florida. He needs to get a different job.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am seeing a price for a loaded Ultimate Project 45 at $65,000.00 OUCH Have seen an estimate as low as $55,000.00 The Tax rebate for me is totally useless. retired and pay no tax. Wish it lowered the price of the vehicle by $7,500.00 Give the tax break to the dealer. What I really want is the RWD with the Limited trim. Everything you can get on the Ultimate. I had one jerk salesperson tell me it will not be available in Florida. He needs to get a different job.
I believe it is rear-wheel-drive to start with, yet many customers tend to order the AWD package. All 1,500 First Edition EV6s have already been spoken for with an MSRP of about $57,000. That's a lot for a KIA. Now that they were able to attract customers into that price segment, Hyundai may not be afraid to do the same. But I still hope the IONIQ 5 comes out to A LOT LESS.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
20 Posts
I think you can get the benefit of the $7500 if you lease the car. The dealer should be able to claim it and deduct it from the sticker price.
Not always. Ford doesn’t offer the $7500 incentive on their Mach-E lease.
On the flip side, the $7,500 instant reduction off MSRP (when you lease certain EVs instead of purchase) is one of the big reasons I prefer leasing EVs at this point in time (the other big reason is rapidly evolving tech).

Does Hyundai offer the $7500 reduction on the current Ioniq EV? If so, then it’s probably safe to assume they’ll do the same with the 5.

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts
This is entirely conjecture by C&D but if the Ioniq 5 is that much more than the ID.4 then my decision will be easy.
I would agree, but the ID4 is plain looking overall to me. I really hope the LR Preferred rwd Ioniq 5 comes in priced similar to the Tesla 3 rwd, if so it will work for me and I will pay a little more for the Ioniq 5 style over the ID4 or Tesla 3

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would agree, but the ID4 is plain looking overall to me. I really hope the LR Preferred rwd Ioniq 5 comes in priced similar to the Tesla 3 rwd, if so it will work for me and I will pay a little more for the Ioniq 5 style over the ID4 or Tesla 3
Agreed. Also, I think the thing w.r.t the ID.4 will be that the I5 won't be coming in a standard range configuration in the US. Considering the EV6 ultimate edition thingy is ~58k nominal, there's every reason to think that the I5 will top out at or below that level (and there were some rumors that the I5 would be priced a touch lower than the EV6). We obviously have no real numbers, but there's no reason, at the moment, to expect pricing to be noncompetitive.

(I'm just hoping the limited trim or whatever will come with a 19" wheel option, though we have yet to see exactly what the trims will look like)

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts
Agreed. Also, I think the thing w.r.t the ID.4 will be that the I5 won't be coming in a standard range configuration in the US. Considering the EV6 ultimate edition thingy is ~58k nominal, there's every reason to think that the I5 will top out at or below that level (and there were some rumors that the I5 would be priced a touch lower than the EV6). We obviously have no real numbers, but there's no reason, at the moment, to expect pricing to be noncompetitive.

(I'm just hoping the limited trim or whatever will come with a 19" wheel option, though we have yet to see exactly what the trims will look like)
Yup, I hope a fall release will actually be a late August release. I definitely do want to test drive option I am interested in just to ensure it has enough giddy up and go. Having been driving higher performance sedan oriented cars myself for the last 5 years I don't want to regret it later that I don't have at least decent 0-60 acceleration. I have already accepted the fact nothing in my price range will replace my S4 w a Stage 1 & a 4.4 0-60 time. I will accept the high 6 to 7 range for the gas/maintenance savings couple w new technology

·
Registered
2020 Kona Highlander electric
115 Posts
100% correct. The batteries were made by LG Chem and they were at fault. LG is paying for all the battery replacements in the cars that were recalled.
Just a pedantic point, that doesn’t affect the sentiments you expressed. Recall affects preMarch Hyundai 2020 Ioniqs, Konas & a few electric buses. They were all fitted with batteries from LG Chem. LG Chem also supplied batteries to other EV models including Bolt. The Hyundai settlement was for $900 million US dollars. LG Chem are to pay 70% & Hyundai 30%.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts