This is by Car&Driver:
Hmm, not sure about that. In the UK the same spec with the 72.6kWh only adds ~£2700 to the price, whereas adding the second motor adds ~£3200. I realise the US large battery is bigger again, but it shouldn't be a significant disparity over the AWD motor.That big battery is driving a large portion of whatever the price will be. An engine is about $2,000-3,500. The battery is about $15,000-$20,000 retail.
Yeah- 5K more than a similarly equipped ID4? That’s a nonstarter.Some European YouTuber said European IONIQ 5 is priced 5,000 Euros above VW ID.4 for equivalent trim levels, but that may not carry over to the U.S. The ID.4 starts at $40,000 with a big battery. Ford Mustang Mach-E starts at $43,000 with small-ish battery. A loaded Kia First Edition EV6 lists at $58,500. And Hyundai’s current Kona EV starts at $37,390. Car and Driver’s estimates seem believable. I’m hoping for prices lower than that; otherwise IONIQ 5 won’t fit my budget.
My feeling is that Hyundai and Kia shouldn't have prolonged pricing after reservations have taken place.This is entirely conjectured by C&D but if the Ioniq 5 is that much more than the ID.4 then my decision will be easy.
Judging by the way things have gone for early adopters who reserved the Ford MME or VW ID4, I think hidden charges, price hikes, and dealer shenanigans are very likely 😞My feeling is that Hyundai and Kia shouldn't have prolonged pricing after reservations have taken place.
They will either lose reservations once people find out it's too expensive or feel they were given a fair deal once pricing has been announced. However, unlike Tesla sales won't be complete until an agreement has been made at the dealership. The larger question of this sales equation will there be wiggle room to get a good deal or will the dealer end up screwing you after waiting months for your order hidden charges and a price hike.
Don't fall for that nonesense. The sales pressure is a gimmick.I just got off the phone with my local Hyundai (and Ford for the Mach E) and he told me due to the shortage, all their inventory has a $2 to 4k markup with some more. I think on the Mach E it is $5k. I am in no hurry and will wait until the inventory is better.
Most ID.4 reservation holders were offered MSRP and VW addressed dealers who marked up beyond as did Ford. There have been a surprising amount who've actually gotten below MSRP without asking but it's based on the specific dealership. Then there's been plenty of reports of markup on cancelled reservation vehicles for walk-in customers with no reservation.Judging by the way things have gone for early adopters who reserved the Ford MME or VW ID4, I think hidden charges, price hikes, and dealer shenanigans are very likely 😞
Yuck. My local Ford dealer and Hyundai dealer are part of the same group, and they're not doing any markups on the Mach E at least so fingers crossed. I'm going to call them tomorrow and try to verify.I just got off the phone with my local Hyunai (and Ford for the Mach E) and he told me due to the shortage, all their inventory has a $2 to 4k markup with some more. I think on the Mach E it is $5k. I am in no hurry and will wait until the inventory is better.
If over $50K they will not be competitive in my opinion and certainly not for me.I'm expecting to pay mid-50s for a Limited. Their competition is the Model Y and Mustang Mach E which are both in this range. That said, the prospect of dealer mark ups is a total turn-off, ungh.