Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
That big battery is driving a large portion of whatever the price will be. An engine is about $2,000-3,500. The battery is about $15,000-$20,000 retail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That big battery is driving a large portion of whatever the price will be. An engine is about $2,000-3,500. The battery is about $15,000-$20,000 retail.
Hmm, not sure about that. In the UK the same spec with the 72.6kWh only adds ~£2700 to the price, whereas adding the second motor adds ~£3200. I realise the US large battery is bigger again, but it shouldn't be a significant disparity over the AWD motor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some European YouTuber said European IONIQ 5 is priced 5,000 Euros above VW ID.4 for equivalent trim levels, but that may not carry over to the U.S. The ID.4 starts at $40,000 with a big battery. Ford Mustang Mach-E starts at $43,000 with small-ish battery. A loaded Kia First Edition EV6 lists at $58,500. And Hyundai’s current Kona EV starts at $37,390. Car and Driver’s estimates seem believable. I’m hoping for prices lower than that; otherwise IONIQ 5 won’t fit my budget.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
20 Posts
Some European YouTuber said European IONIQ 5 is priced 5,000 Euros above VW ID.4 for equivalent trim levels, but that may not carry over to the U.S. The ID.4 starts at $40,000 with a big battery. Ford Mustang Mach-E starts at $43,000 with small-ish battery. A loaded Kia First Edition EV6 lists at $58,500. And Hyundai’s current Kona EV starts at $37,390. Car and Driver’s estimates seem believable. I’m hoping for prices lower than that; otherwise IONIQ 5 won’t fit my budget.
Yeah- 5K more than a similarly equipped ID4? That’s a nonstarter.

On a side note, I’ve been waiting for someone to post a thread on this subject 👍🏻

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is entirely conjecture by C&D but if the Ioniq 5 is that much more than the ID.4 then my decision will be easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is entirely conjectured by C&D but if the Ioniq 5 is that much more than the ID.4 then my decision will be easy.
My feeling is that Hyundai and Kia shouldn't have prolonged pricing after reservations have taken place.
They will either lose reservations once people find out it's too expensive or feel they were given a fair deal once pricing has been announced. However, unlike Tesla sales won't be complete until an agreement has been made at the dealership. The larger question of this sales equation will there be wiggle room to get a good deal or will the dealer end up screwing you after waiting months for your order hidden charges and a price hike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it’s the latter. Hyundai dealers have a reputation of making mark-ups wherever they can. The Ioniq will be a hot commodity at launch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Certainly here its looking more and more like Hyundai Australia are going to have to reconsider their pricing structure to accomodate the Ioniq 5, as the current Kona Electric pricing at $67k vs the just announced Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric pricing at $76k clearly isn't going to work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm expecting to pay mid-50s for a Limited. Their competition is the Model Y and Mustang Mach E which are both in this range. That said, the prospect of dealer mark ups is a total turn-off, ungh.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
20 Posts
My feeling is that Hyundai and Kia shouldn't have prolonged pricing after reservations have taken place.
They will either lose reservations once people find out it's too expensive or feel they were given a fair deal once pricing has been announced. However, unlike Tesla sales won't be complete until an agreement has been made at the dealership. The larger question of this sales equation will there be wiggle room to get a good deal or will the dealer end up screwing you after waiting months for your order hidden charges and a price hike.
Judging by the way things have gone for early adopters who reserved the Ford MME or VW ID4, I think hidden charges, price hikes, and dealer shenanigans are very likely 😞

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got off the phone with my local Hyunai (and Ford for the Mach E) and he told me due to the shortage, all their inventory has a $2 to 4k markup with some more. :mad: I think on the Mach E it is $5k. I am in no hurry and will wait until the inventory is better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got off the phone with my local Hyundai (and Ford for the Mach E) and he told me due to the shortage, all their inventory has a $2 to 4k markup with some more. :mad: I think on the Mach E it is $5k. I am in no hurry and will wait until the inventory is better.
Don't fall for that nonesense. The sales pressure is a gimmick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Damn, I’m glad I’ve never seen that exist over here. The RRP is the most you’ll ever pay for a new car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Judging by the way things have gone for early adopters who reserved the Ford MME or VW ID4, I think hidden charges, price hikes, and dealer shenanigans are very likely 😞
Most ID.4 reservation holders were offered MSRP and VW addressed dealers who marked up beyond as did Ford. There have been a surprising amount who've actually gotten below MSRP without asking but it's based on the specific dealership. Then there's been plenty of reports of markup on cancelled reservation vehicles for walk-in customers with no reservation.

Reactions: woods

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got off the phone with my local Hyunai (and Ford for the Mach E) and he told me due to the shortage, all their inventory has a $2 to 4k markup with some more. :mad: I think on the Mach E it is $5k. I am in no hurry and will wait until the inventory is better.
Yuck. My local Ford dealer and Hyundai dealer are part of the same group, and they're not doing any markups on the Mach E at least so fingers crossed. I'm going to call them tomorrow and try to verify.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm expecting to pay mid-50s for a Limited. Their competition is the Model Y and Mustang Mach E which are both in this range. That said, the prospect of dealer mark ups is a total turn-off, ungh.
If over $50K they will not be competitive in my opinion and certainly not for me.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts