Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the forum members think about using premium petrol against the regular or supermarket petrol in the Ioniq hybrid? Is there a noticeable increase in power or better mpg as the manufacturers claim?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I find long term use (3000 miles +) of super market fuel has a slow degradation in mpg, which then takes a while to improve back up to optimal when you return to using branded petrol

I saw this on my i20, I used morrisons fuel for the first 8000 miles, then used mainly BP after and I noticed a gradual improvement of nearly 10 mpg over the next 15,000 miles

some of that may be attributable to longer runs, some fuel, some higher speed / hotter engine, some engine taking a long time to bed in properly

so I will use supermarket fuel, but I will try and avoid using it for several fill ups one after the other

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is it as simple as saying traditional petrol brands (BP, Esso, Shell etc) have better quality fuel than supermarkets? And if so, how is that possible? Is it not all coming from the same source / refinery?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Why do the traditional brands not market it as that then? I know they do the more expensive 'Ultimate' versions and the like but if their base stuff is so much superior to supermarket stuff wouldn't advertise it as such?

Not questioning you by the way, just not very knowledgeable on this kind of thing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Why do the traditional brands not market it as that then? I know they do the more expensive 'Ultimate' versions and the like but if their base stuff is so much superior to supermarket stuff wouldn't advertise it as such?

Not questioning you by the way, just not very knowledgeable on this kind of thing.
Shelll do market their base product as better than other regular fuels. Fuelsave was heavily advertised as more economical and better for your engine due to additives back in 2010. Since its launch the advertising is less and now they push v power.

Out of interest, anyone using BP ultimate or vpower etc?

I would use it to keep the engine clean but don't know how the Atkinson cycle engine would cope or utilise it?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Problem for me is that I have boycotted BP over their disastrous failure which caused the huge oil pipe burst in the bay of Mexico and also Shell for their Arctic drilling and most other big oil names for their complete lack of respect and responsibility for the environment. But then I end up using cheap supermarket petrol and as BC says, it's just not as good for your engine when used at every fill up.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
And you're probably putting the money in their coffers anyway ,Tess ;)...Holiday over then ?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Oi! Cheeky [email protected]! :p

Ya still another week... just checking in while I have a drink by the pool ;)

Also nice to see the picture of the Ioniq on the forum header...
if I had been to nice you would have been worried about what I was plotting for your return :) :)

besides having to drive the cactus and miss your Ioniq is punishment enough :p

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Jesus.. you dodged a bullet there chunga! Fuerteventura is quite hilly and this thing can barely climb in second gear. I know it's only a 1.2 but that aside it's still hideous. Only got it coz it was cheap and I'd rather spend my money on booze and jetskis

·
Registered
725 Posts
Jesus.. you dodged a bullet there chunga! Fuerteventura is quite hilly and this thing can barely climb in second gear. I know it's only a 1.2 but that aside it's still hideous. Only got it coz it was cheap and I'd rather spend my money on booze and jetskis
Sod the jetski :)

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
There was never a chance of me getting a Cactus , Tess . I'm pretty much done with French car manufacturers at the moment ...no offence intended ;)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
None taken.. the French are good at many things... many things :p but cars aren't one of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts