Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
We stopped 3/4 times at the new, free On The Run chargers, which seem to max out at 100kW,
I’ve only tried these out once so far and got max 70kw so good to see 100kw is possible. There 400v chargers with a max amp of 300 seemingly (compared to Electrify Canada that support 350amp) and I have to wonder if the reduced current somehow limits obtaining 150kw…

still can’t complain at free 😛 and seemingly they will only move to payment when they can charge via kWh not per minute (which you would have to assume might take a while)

· Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I’ve only tried these out once so far and got max 70kw so good to see 100kw is possible. There 400v chargers with a max amp of 300 seemingly (compared to Electrify Canada that support 350amp) and I have to wonder if the reduced current somehow limits obtaining 150kw...
Yeah, I would guess that 105kW (the max I saw) is just the limit at 400V. If I were Hyundai, I wouldn't engineer the car to take 240kW at 400V when most 150kW+ stations are 800V+ except Tesla.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
265 Posts
The Ivy chargers they installed on the highways here in Ontario are advertised as 150 but I've pulled 170-180 out of them, which is great. They're also currently free as they migrate to their own app.
I've had the same experience where the 1st charge is slow, but subsequent ones are much better since the battery does maintain quite a bit of heat once warmed up.
The funniest, tho, was that our by-far-longest stop wasn't actually limited by the charging speed, but by the line-up for food! By the time we ordered, waited for the order and actually ate, the car was done charging to 80%. So you can definitely make do, even with a slower charging car.

Regarding the finding that once you 'manually' pre-heat the battery, it holds the temp, I think the FASTEST way to travel in cars without preaheating (or if you forget to do it) is to charge ONLY until the battery gets hot and then drive to the next DCFC. Yes, more stops, but they'll all be pretty short, vs letting the battery get cold and spend time heating it up at every stop. Also, battery will like it more.

· Registered
61 Posts
The Ivy chargers they installed on the highways here in Ontario are advertised as 150 but I've pulled 170-180 out of them, which is great. They're also currently free as they migrate to their own app. I've had the same experience where the 1st charge is slow, but subsequent ones are much better since the battery does maintain quite a bit of heat once warmed up. The funniest, tho, was that our by-far-longest stop wasn't actually limited by the charging speed, but by the line-up for food! By the time we ordered, waited for the order and actually ate, the car was done charging to 80%. So you can definitely make do, even with a slower charging car. Regarding the finding that once you 'manually' pre-heat the battery, it holds the temp, I think the FASTEST way to travel in cars without preaheating (or if you forget to do it) is to charge ONLY until the battery gets hot and then drive to the next DCFC. Yes, more stops, but they'll all be pretty short, vs letting the battery get cold and spend time heating it up at every stop. Also, battery will like it more.

· Registered
61 Posts
The Ivy chargers they installed on the highways here in Ontario are advertised as 150 but I've pulled 170-180 out of them, which is great. They're also currently free as they migrate to their own app.
I've had the same experience where the 1st charge is slow, but subsequent ones are much better since the battery does maintain quite a bit of heat once warmed up.
The funniest, tho, was that our by-far-longest stop wasn't actually limited by the charging speed, but by the line-up for food! By the time we ordered, waited for the order and actually ate, the car was done charging to 80%. So you can definitely make do, even with a slower charging car.

Regarding the finding that once you 'manually' pre-heat the battery, it holds the temp, I think the FASTEST way to travel in cars without preaheating (or if you forget to do it) is to charge ONLY until the battery gets hot and then drive to the next DCFC. Yes, more stops, but they'll all be pretty short, vs letting the battery get cold and spend time heating it up at every stop. Also, battery will like it more.
What would you suggest is the best way to heat up my battery before heading out on my road trip. Fast charge to 80% at a local Denny's just before I leave or charge to 100% in my garage?

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
What would you suggest is the best way to heat up my battery before heading out on my road trip. Fast charge to 80% at a local Denny's just before I leave or charge to 100% in my garage?
There appear to be ways to heat the battery on level 2 or even unplugged, but I haven't managed to do it.
If the Denny's is close enough to your house to be convenient, that's probably your best option. But if it's not very far from 0 out, it's not really worth the extra time. In -30, even starting from a garage, it's worth it, and -15 and parked outside overnight is probably also worth it.

· Registered
61 Posts
This is the response email that I received from Customer Relations at Hyundai Canada this week. Dealers won't reach out to head office and will only plug your VIN # in to see if there is a recall notice.
Very vague and disappointing response.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Auto Canada. We apologize for the delay in our response.We are aware that as part of the 2023 model changeover, certain 2022 IONIQ 5 models manufactured from June 2022-onwards were equipped with Hyundai’s new battery preconditioning feature. As Hyundai Auto Canada continues to prioritize your ownership experience, we are exploring possible updates for applicable 2022 IONIQ 5 models and will share an update at the earliest opportunity.

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
This is the response email that I received from Customer Relations at Hyundai Canada this week. Dealers won't reach out to head office and will only plug your VIN # in to see if there is a recall notice.
Very vague and disappointing response.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Auto Canada. We apologize for the delay in our response.We are aware that as part of the 2023 model changeover, certain 2022 IONIQ 5 models manufactured from June 2022-onwards were equipped with Hyundai’s new battery preconditioning feature. As Hyundai Auto Canada continues to prioritize your ownership experience, we are exploring possible updates for applicable 2022 IONIQ 5 models and will share an update at the earliest opportunity.
Yeah, that's the vague response they've been giving since about October. I don't understand why they're giving that response to some people and making a commitment to a timeline to others, except that maybe people who have gotten mad enough get a timeline. (I flipped **** when I got this response, and the next reply had a timeline attached.) I've been telling them this is a dumb way to handle customer relations for months.

Attachments

81 - 90 of 90 Posts