Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

· Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
So all what we need is a YouTuber who has a lot of influence and followers to convince Hyundai Canda to apply the pre-conditioning to Canada and RWD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ultimately it was people writing in that convinced Hyundai USA and Hyundai Canada to release this update for us. The YouTubers are just spreading the news. They can't really apply pressure or they'll lose their access.

· Registered
8 Posts
Ultimately it was people writing in that convinced Hyundai USA and Hyundai Canada to release this update for us. The YouTubers are just spreading the news. They can't really apply pressure or they'll lose their access.
I am just tired of this nonsense. I literally purchased the car for it is fast charging, and now every time, I have to wait for at least 45 min to reach 80!!!

· Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
265 Posts
I got the same wishy-washy answer back in November and nothing since. I was referring to your tone, which is exactly how I felt, too. Now I'm just resigned to the fact we'll just get next to no communication, but eventually we'll see something come through.

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I got the same wishy-washy answer back in November and nothing since. I was referring to your tone, which is exactly how I felt, too. Now I'm just resigned to the fact we'll just get next to no communication, but eventually we'll see something come through.
On Facebook, @Ialjabour and I came up with a guess that maybe they're only going to offer the update to AWDs since the US update was only developed for AWDs and there are probably some powertrain-specific systems involved in the update (e.g. the VCU). The fact that you also have a RWD and haven't gotten the good email even though you've emailed them plenty COULD be evidence of that. (I've definitely also interacted with AWD owners who haven't received the good email, so it's very hard to tell.)

If this is the case, we need to get back on them. Excluding Canada RWD owners because of a stupid product decision in the US would be insane. I asked this question via email, but you both also should so they know it's not just me (at this point I've emailed [email protected] 11 times and [email protected] 5 times for a total of 16 and I told them I would leave them alone soon, haha).

· Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
265 Posts
I don't see that as an issue, plenty RWD cars got the update in Europe, and since it's in Korea where these updates are put together, I don't think that's the issue. I just think that we're basically a secondary market to Hyundai NA and since they're based in US, they just don't care much about us, period.
Having worked in enough multinational corps where someone is responsible for 'North America' and seeing how they prioritize the US vs Canada market, I have an idea of where we stand in their eyes.
And now the issue of the ECO drive mode will delay it all even longer, since they're probably prioritizing fixing that over getting the Canadian updates finished - which would make sense, since it'll simplify doing the rollout together with the fix, rather than doing it like in the US and having another recall later.
I will however keep emailing them :)

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I don't see that as an issue, plenty RWD cars got the update in Europe, and since it's in Korea where these updates are put together, I don't think that's the issue. I just think that we're basically a secondary market to Hyundai NA and since they're based in US, they just don't care much about us, period.
Having worked in enough multinational corps where someone is responsible for 'North America' and seeing how they prioritize the US vs Canada market, I have an idea of where we stand in their eyes.
And now the issue of the ECO drive mode will delay it all even longer, since they're probably prioritizing fixing that over getting the Canadian updates finished - which would make sense, since it'll simplify doing the rollout together with the fix, rather than doing it like in the US and having another recall later.
I will however keep emailing them :)
I got the strong impression that the European update and the North American update were independently developed in Europe and in the US. Particularly, I think I remember some comments in this thread indicating that US engineers were developing the update for US cars. Suggestion for North America Owners to contact Hyundai...
Corbin also indicated in some videos that US engineers were testing it.

I do agree that we're a secondary market, which is why US engineers might not care enough to develop a version of the update for Canadian RWDs.

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred (mid trim) Long Range RWD, winter tires
506 Posts
I got the strong impression that the European update and the North American update were independently developed in Europe and in the US. Particularly, I think I remember some comments in this thread indicating that US engineers were developing the update for US cars. Suggestion for North America Owners to contact Hyundai...
Corbin also indicated in some videos that US engineers were testing it.

I do agree that we're a secondary market, which is why US engineers might not care enough to develop a version of the update for Canadian RWDs.
A poster mentioned in an email from hyundai US saying the Korean engineers did find a problem with the Eco power curve with the last update and they were working on a fix. Tells me corporate head engineers provided the BMS/VCU update for US. It makes sense. If I was in Hyundai I wouldn’t want the regions changing programming. Spells issues down the road for the Korean engineers programming future updates. I agree Canada being a small and low profit margin market is low in priority. There can be no justification for hyundai to not have the update in Canada eventually. It’s just rolling out to Europe where the most cars are in cold climates, then US and then Canada with its tiny deployment of cars.

Reactions: Tyler

· Registered
Ioniq 5 Preferred 2022
63 Posts
I send an email to bug Hyundai Canada in Nov 2022 about the battery pre-conditioning, at the same send another request through bluelink to solve the weather app issue. They sent me one auto acknowledge email for the battery email, but never sent me any reply. I did receive one case# for the bluelink issue 3 weeks later, and the problem was solved a little after that, but it took them another 4 weeks to tell me that the weather app was OK now. I knew that a lot earlier.
Anyway, I sent another email to bug them again yesterday. And here is the super fast reply:

Hello XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Canada.

We are aware that as part of the 2023 model changeover, certain 2022 IONIQ 5 models manufactured from June 2022-onwards were equipped with Hyundai’s new battery preconditioning feature. As Hyundai Auto Canada continues to prioritize your ownership experience, we are exploring possible updates for applicable 2022 IONIQ 5 models and will share an update at the earliest opportunity.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX
Customer Relations,
Hyundai Auto Canada

Not sure if there is because I have the RWD, so they are not willing to even confirm that they will release the update for RWD owners.

BTW, what could be the hardware difference between pre-June and post-June I5? For the record, my car was built in Jan 2022, but the delivery was late June.

· Registered
118 Posts
Latest response I received today after asking for a ETA after the US release:

Thank you for your reply. We apologize for the delay in our response.

As previously communicated, Hyundai will reach out to affected owners once a solution has been found and an ETA is available. Please continue to wait until you receive this.
So no real progress or indication of an ETA, honestly I get the impression its a "you're get it when you get it" type attitude.

Didnt answer the question on RWD vs AWD. Personally I think the update is likely the same firmware for both, you either have the battery heater or you don't - a second motor imo would'nt impact the pre-conditioning software that much.

· Registered
506 Posts
Latest response I received today after asking for a ETA after the US release:

So no real progress or indication of an ETA, honestly I get the impression its a "you're get it when you get it" type attitude.

Didnt answer the question on RWD vs AWD. Personally I think the update is likely the same firmware for both, you either have the battery heater or you don't - a second motor imo would'nt impact the pre-conditioning software that much.
As the update is not possible with RWD US MY2022 the engineers in Korea will need to include in the coding that Canadian RWD MY2022 can get the update. May seem trivial to us but that probably opens up a bunch of work in developing a separate update from the US and then post system function checks on their part. With Ioniq 6 and 7, GV6 and who knows what else Hyundai/KIA have in the works, the engineers probably are trying to get this update done while focusing on the priority deadlines for the development of the other systems. They can't give much detail on timelines for the update or who gets it because if they don't work out we will be even more frustrated than now.

· Registered
506 Posts
Curious do we know that or is the update just not "offered" i.e. you cant make an appointment.
There is no battery heater in US RWD so not possible to heat the battery. Canada has heater in RWD longe range so it is possible with software.

· Registered
61 Posts
I'm waiting for a reply from Hyundai Canada on the precondition battery software update for my Preferred ultimate 2022 AWD. All I'm seeing is that I can expect it in Q1 of 2023. I could use it before a road trip at the end of February.

· Registered
8 Posts
Dont do road trips in winter or you are going to lose your mind! I literally spent 1.5 hours charging twice for 400 km trip! And cost me almost 31 $

battery need 30 min at least to warm up and accept > 45kwh speed !

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Dont do road trips in winter or you are going to lose your mind! I literally spent 1.5 hours charging twice for 400 km trip! And cost me almost 31 $

battery need 30 min at least to warm up and accept > 45kwh speed !
I just drove 2800km in the last 3 weeks in temperatures ranging from -30 to +10 and I don't completely agree. We do have an 11-month-old baby, so stopping for her already limits us a lot.

In -30 it was definitely close to gas, $51 for 3 hour-long charging stops to cover 700km on a route with only 50kW chargers (would have been ~45 minute stops if 150kW+ stations were available). But roads were pretty bad, with smooth, shiny hard-packed snow covering the road for one 100km stretch so a few longer stops were a nice break from some slightly scary driving. Charging times improved to 30-40 minutes the next day as the temperature went up to -10 to -5 and we hit a 150kW+ network.

One thing that's worth noting is that the battery temperature doesn't go all the way back to the outside temperature between charges--even with -30 out it was only going back to about 0. So the first charge is super long but after that it's okay. If you live near a DC charger or can stay near one overnight, you can basically precondition by charging when you have something else to do nearby.

In +10 to -5 this weekend coming back, traveling on the TransCanada from Calgary to Seattle, range was fine and charging stops were only a little longer than usual, 30 mins typically. It took us 4 charges to cover 1000km, but we could have done it in 3 if we weren't stopping for the baby. We stopped 3/4 times at the new, free On The Run chargers, which seem to max out at 100kW, so the whole drive only cost $13.53 for a single Electrify Canada stop.

Will it absolutely be better with preconditioning? Yes! Are roadtrips doable in winter with only Winter Mode? Yes, if you're okay with going a bit slower for any reason (bad roads, kid, retired, etc.).

· Registered
8 Posts
It was better last year !! Do you think it could be the winter tires?
I just drove 2800km in the last 3 weeks in temperatures ranging from -30 to +10 and I don't completely agree. We do have an 11-month-old baby, so stopping for her already limits us a lot.

In -30 it was definitely close to gas, $51 for 3 hour-long charging stops to cover 700km on a route with only 50kW chargers (would have been ~45 minute stops if 150kW+ stations were available). But roads were pretty bad, with smooth, shiny hard-packed snow covering the road for one 100km stretch so a few longer stops were a nice break from some slightly scary driving. Charging times improved to 30-40 minutes the next day as the temperature went up to -10 to -5 and we hit a 150kW+ network.

One thing that's worth noting is that the battery temperature doesn't go all the way back to the outside temperature between charges--even with -30 out it was only going back to about 0. So the first charge is super long but after that it's okay. If you live near a DC charger or can stay near one overnight, you can basically precondition by charging when you have something else to do nearby.

In +10 to -5 this weekend coming back, traveling on the TransCanada from Calgary to Seattle, range was fine and charging stops were only a little longer than usual, 30 mins typically. It took us 4 charges to cover 1000km, but we could have done it in 3 if we weren't stopping for the baby. We stopped 3/4 times at the new, free On The Run chargers, which seem to max out at 100kW, so the whole drive only cost $13.53 for a single Electrify Canada stop.

Will it absolutely be better with preconditioning? Yes! Are roadtrips doable in winter with only Winter Mode? Yes, if you're okay with going a bit slower for any reason (bad roads, kid, retired, etc.).
I have 19 I think with the original tires was better than this. I drive mostly 100 to 110 kmh .

61 - 80 of 90 Posts