Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

· Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I emailed Hyundai Canada about this and just received this reply from Hyundai Canada:

Dear Roy Smith,

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Canada. We apologize for the delay in our response. We are aware that as part of the 2023 model changeover, certain 2022 IONIQ 5 models manufactured from June 2022-onwards were equipped with Hyundai new battery preconditioning feature. As Hyundai Auto Canada continues to prioritize your ownership experience, we are exploring possible updates for applicable 2022 IONIQ 5 models and will share an update at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you for choosing Hyundai Canada.

Sincerely,
Roman

So there is hope.
That's nearly identical to the text I got in reply last Friday, and identical to what someone received in early October. The frustrating thing is that they've used far more committal language previously ("actively working on a solution"). The US is getting an update shortly and we've been demanding this for longer, so they should be able to give us some kind of firm commitment that it's happening.

· Registered
45 Posts
Hey Tyler or anyone else, just a quick question. I also got this same email today and have been following the pre-conditioning story very closely. However, because I have a worrying personality I'm concerned about the wording for "applicable 2022 models". I know in Canada that is probably just referring to the few Essentials but I have the Preferred Standard Range 58KW battery that I know is somewhat rare too. I'm 99.9% sure that having winter mode is the only pre-requisite and my 58KW version has winter mode and the battery heater. I just wondered if you or anyone else has seen any mention anywhere of this update not being offered to 58KW battery owners anywhere in the world? I haven't seen that myself but just wanted to cast a wide net. I also worry that there might be some hassle with the dealer about getting it done with the 58KW battery or that Hyundai Canada won't bother coding that version etc.

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hey Tyler or anyone else, just a quick question. I also got this same email today and have been following the pre-conditioning story very closely. However, because I have a worrying personality I'm concerned about the wording for "applicable 2022 models". I know in Canada that is probably just referring to the few Essentials but I have the Preferred Standard Range 58KW battery that I know is somewhat rare too. I'm 99.9% sure that having winter mode is the only pre-requisite and my 58KW version has winter mode and the battery heater. I just wondered if you or anyone else has seen any mention anywhere of this update not being offered to 58KW battery owners anywhere in the world? I haven't seen that myself but just wanted to cast a wide net. I also worry that there might be some hassle with the dealer about getting it done with the 58KW battery or that Hyundai Canada won't bother coding that version etc.
I think asking directly is the only way to know for sure. There are some European discussions of the update on here and maybe you can find evidence that someone in Europe with the small battery got it, but it still wouldn't be a guarantee. I would have assumed we could directly use the update already available in Europe, but apparently it took several months of engineer time to make ready for us. Maybe you can ask here? Seems pretty relevant. Preconditioning Update in the UK (and EU?) - Eligibility...

· Registered
8 Posts
I think if you have a heater on your car and it kick in once you connect to dcfc it should be no problem.

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred (mid trim) Long Range RWD, winter tires
506 Posts
I changed the title of this thread! We have a commitment!
After seeing your post I contacted HMC. This is the reply. I’m confused.

Font Number Document

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I would ASSUME not. With the difference in configurations between the US and ever other country, the software is different.The dealer would enter your VIN and the system would indicate that the TSB would not be applicable.
Yeah, I asked Hyundai Canada and they told me it was VIN-specific.

· Registered
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5, Long Range RWD, 77.4 kWH, Phantom Black, Born on DEC 2021
461 Posts
No, it should be all Preferreds as well--just not Essential as the ~10 shipped to Canada came without a battery heater. Not sure anyone actually bought those.
I guess the Essential model are considered unicorns, extremely rare and not able to purchase anymore? Hyundai only created that trim to allow qualification of government rebates last early year.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
265 Posts
I think it comes down to the RWD with the battery heater that is the major difference between US to Canada, of which I own one. US has the RWD without battery heater, which is basically the Canadian Essential with the big battery. Given that Canada is under Hyundai NA aka US, we're a lesser priority for them to get it sorted out for us and shipped out.

Looking at the change to ECO mode that comes with the preconditioning update, though, I'm not too happy about it. ECO on our car is very nicely balanced, just a softer power delivery curve than Normal, but still has all the power vs what is shown in videos after the update.

· Registered
1 Posts
I think it comes down to the RWD with the battery heater that is the major difference between US to Canada, of which I own one. US has the RWD without battery heater, which is basically the Canadian Essential with the big battery. Given that Canada is under Hyundai NA aka US, we're a lesser priority for them to get it sorted out for us and shipped out.

Looking at the change to ECO mode that comes with the preconditioning update, though, I'm not too happy about it. ECO on our car is very nicely balanced, just a softer power delivery curve than Normal, but still has all the power vs what is shown in videos after the update.
The eco mode definitely was dialed down for some reason. I thought it was pretty good before the update. Now i think it's dangerous. Had no power at all when your turning. Its to slow to respond, if there is ever a need to get out of the way and your in eco mode your hands down getting hit.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
The eco mode definitely was dialed down for some reason. I thought it was pretty good before the update. Now i think it's dangerous. Had no power at all when your turning. Its to slow to respond, if there is ever a need to get out of the way and your in eco mode your hands down getting hit.
It certainly made no difference to mine in UK.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
265 Posts
Looks like it's a bug. Given that we still haven't gotten the update in Canada, I'm guessing they'll wait until they have the fix before releasing it rather than having us to come in twice.
This means we'll probably get it late Q1 at best, most likely Q2, by which time we will barely need it.
Font Number

41 - 60 of 90 Posts