Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5, Preferred Long Range RWD, 77.4 kWH, Phantom Black
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Canada there is only one trim (Ultimate package) that comes with the power liftgate and all other trims don't. One feature I missed that i had on my previous vehicle was having a power liftgate. On my Ioniq 5 without the power liftgate, closing it manually was sometimes a pain.

I was glad to have found on this forum that referred me to a retrofit kit made by autoease. I have installed and very pleased with it. I got it in a week of order and it has everything to be specifically to be fitted on the Ioniq 5. It comes with all wiring adapters wiring required.
Sleeve T-shirt Denim Pattern Linens

No drilling on the body of the car is required. Has a rear trigger button that mounts to the OEM opening to the inner side of the Tailgate, and one button up front where you will need to choose to place, I chose the center console between the 2 USB chargers (a hole I drilled to plastic to fit it).
2 power struts that you replace with the hydraulic struts, the power strut cables use the 2 existing holes you loop into the lift gate, however the bracket on one end of the strut needs to be replaced with the provided one.
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Hood

The trunks bottom striker hook needs to be replaced with a motorized power strike version provided.

I also installed option foot sensor that allows you to do a quick kick motion under the rear bumper to trigger lift gate to open/close.

Once done it is a very clean system and would not know it is OEM or not. Since our key FOB does not have the lifgate button, you can press on the unlock button 3 times to open/close liftgate instead. You can use the original external lifgate unlock button as well.

The hardest part for me was routing all the power cables/strut cables to go from trunk to the liftgate through the existing cable grommet, very tight squeeze, that took me several hours which delayed me to be a full days work. However, instructions states it would normally take 3 to 4 hours.

Cost for all parts is $699.

Link to video I made showing my power lift gate in action.

·
Registered
2022, Teal Limited AWD
346 Posts
I saw posts a little while ago asking if they could retrofit a power gate. I have to admit I thought no way That would be a big effort…….if it could be done. I’m impressed that the engineering was done for a new vehicle that fast

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD Limited
69 Posts
@OP good job. Autoease is a well establish after market autoliftgate maker. I’ve worked with em and tested product; nothing but professional.
The foot module can be added to any car like you have and it’s pretty reliable. Imo their set up is 90% almost like stock set up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In Canada there is only one trim (Ultimate package) that comes with the power liftgate and all other trims don't. One feature I missed that i had on my previous vehicle was having a power liftgate. On my Ioniq 5 without the power liftgate, closing it manually was sometimes a pain.

I was glad to have found on this forum that referred me to a retrofit kit made by autoease. I have installed and very pleased with it. I got it in a week of order and it has everything to be specifically to be fitted on the Ioniq 5. It comes with all wiring adapters wiring required.
View attachment 45908
No drilling on the body of the car is required. Has a rear trigger button that mounts to the OEM opening to the inner side of the Tailgate, and one button up front where you will need to choose to place, I chose the center console between the 2 USB chargers (a hole I drilled to plastic to fit it).
2 power struts that you replace with the hydraulic struts, the power strut cables use the 2 existing holes you loop into the lift gate, however the bracket on one end of the strut needs to be replaced with the provided one.
View attachment 45909
View attachment 45910
The trunks bottom striker hook needs to be replaced with a motorized power strike version provided.

I also installed option foot sensor that allows you to do a quick kick motion under the rear bumper to trigger lift gate to open/close.

Once done it is a very clean system and would not know it is OEM or not. Since our key FOB does not have the lifgate button, you can press on the unlock button 3 times to open/close liftgate instead. You can use the original external lifgate unlock button as well.

The hardest part for me was routing all the power cables/strut cables to go from trunk to the liftgate through the existing cable grommet, very tight squeeze, that took me several hours which delayed me to be a full days work. However, instructions states it would normally take 3 to 4 hours.

Cost for all parts is $699.

Link to video I made showing my power lift gate in action.

Where did you buy the foot sensor? I don’t see it as an option from Aotoease.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I want it to tie in with the aftermarket lift gate. I now see that the Autoease site says it comes with the foot sensor but I’m waiting to confirm that. The person who posted the installation video said that he had to buy it separately.
The foot sensor kit is included at the Autoease site and also includes the extended 3 year warranty. The foot sensor kit is wires separately from the power strut control module kit. My photo above shows all components included. The foot sensor kit bag is on the lower left corner of my image.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The foot sensor kit is included at the Autoease site and also includes the extended 3 year warranty. The foot sensor kit is wires separately from the power strut control module kit. My photo above shows all components included. The foot sensor kit bag is on the lower left corner of my image.
Thank you. Also, is the foot sensor linked to the key fob to provide security? In other words, a person would have to have the key fob with them in order for the foot sensor to activate?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. Also, is the foot sensor linked to the key fob to provide security? In other words, a person would have to have the key fob with them in order for the foot sensor to activate?
The foot sensor is only tied to your OEM rear tailgate button. Therefore, it can only work when your tailgate button is active, therefore security is still all under control of your vehicle. In summary the foot sensor trigger is no different as if you physically push the tailgate release button on the outside. So you will need the fob to be on you for it to open at the rear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The foot sensor is only tied to your OEM rear tailgate button. Therefore, it can only work when your tailgate button is active, therefore security is still all under control of your vehicle. In summary the foot sensor trigger is no different as if you physically push the tailgate release button on the outside. So you will need the fob to be on you for it to open at the rear.
Thanks. I think I know what you mean but we’re talking about the new Autosense tailgate button now, right? Not an OEM button?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I think I know what you mean but we’re talking about the new Autosense tailgate button now, right? Not an OEM button?
No, talking about the OEM button near the backup camera. The kick sensor taps into this OEM button.

The autoease Tailgate button only can be accessed when Tailgate is opened on the inner side. This button normally used to close Tailgate.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can I just get the kick sensor without the autogate? I hate trying to find the button to manually open the hatch.
[/QUOTE
Can I just get the kick sensor without the autogate? I hate trying to find the button to manually open the hatch.
I believe you can get it separately, as I saw it on another website that they own as well that sold things separately, believe it was $69 USD. You can message them on their contact page, they are very responsive and also very responsive in tech support/sales. EV-vida was the one who recommended them to me, maybe he can chime in?

Ever since my tailgate retro fit, life was made a little easier, never touched the tailgate button again (also less wear on the button). I also believe the power lift gate will go easier on the tailgate itself, no manual slamming shut required.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD Limited
69 Posts
I believe you can get it separately, as I saw it on another website that they own as well that sold things separately, believe it was $69 USD. You can message them on their contact page, they are very responsive and also very responsive in tech support/sales. EV-vida was the one who recommended them to me, maybe he can chime in?

Ever since my tailgate retro fit, life was made a little easier, never touched the tailgate button again (also less wear on the button). I also believe the power lift gate will go easier on the tailgate itself, no manual slamming shut required.
We have a few and yes you can buy it as a stand-alone as long as you have auto liftgate already. You essentially tapping into the unlock button that’s already there. Three wires, power, ground and trigger.

·
Registered
'22 Atlas White SE
376 Posts
We have a few and yes you can buy it as a stand-alone as long as you have auto liftgate already. You essentially tapping into the unlock button that’s already there. Three wires, power, ground and trigger.
Aww, that's too bad. I do not have the auto liftgate. I just wanted the kick sensor to unlock the trunk when I have the key fob in my possession.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any chance you have a link to the specific instructions for the Ioniq 5 @GrantL ? or could comment on how many trim pieces etc had to be removed for the fitting. I'm considering this but wanted to see how involved the install would be.

Some questions

• Where does the control box sit
  • What inside panels need to be removed for fitting
  • What other parts need to be removed for fitting? any requirement for bumper removal like most after market hitches require?
  • Are any of the parts optional? i.e. could you install without the front button and just have the tailgate button and use the fob for example
  • how or where does the kick sensor fit to the bottom of the car and where does the wire route?

Any info appreciated!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Any chance you have a link to the specific instructions for the Ioniq 5 @GrantL ? or could comment on how many trim pieces etc had to be removed for the fitting. I'm considering this but wanted to see how involved the install would be.

Some questions

• Where does the control box sit
  • What inside panels need to be removed for fitting
  • What other parts need to be removed for fitting? any requirement for bumper removal like most after market hitches require?
  • Are any of the parts optional? i.e. could you install without the front button and just have the tailgate button and use the fob for example
  • how or where does the kick sensor fit to the bottom of the car and where does the wire route?

Any info appreciated!
Autoease does provide a pdf instructions for the install however it is lacking in detailed instructions and doesn't show how to remove panels, but provides an overall install (attached instructions).

The control box sits vertical inside the tailgate itself behind the panel. They provide double sided tape but I cable tied it in.
The tailgate panels need to come off, 4 pieces similar to the LED light install for the tailgate.

Image of controller box tied to inner tailgate.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tailgate main panel removed
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread

To install the lower hook striker, you will need to remove the inner trunk lip panel where and the rear driver side trunk panel partially.
Image of panel removed for hook striker.
Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior

To install the foot sensor, you do not need to remove the bumper (only the small strip gravel guard below needs to come off so you can mount the sensor just behind the lower plastic bumper cover (small screws and mounting tape to stick behind it), but wiring can loop through the same grommet hole where the trailer hitch wire harness would normally go, so the inner panel removal will be similar to that.

Image of bottom gravel guard strip removed.
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Tire

There is optional foot sensor, front button, tailgate button and FOB trigger tap. You do not need to have the front button install if you don't want to. However, if you want the FOB to be able to trigger, then you need to tap into a wire that is where the front fuse box is under the steering wheel.

Luckily there are already videos made to show how to remove and re-install the rear panels.

EV-vida made a video of how to remove and install tailgate panels that he made for the tailgate LED install, similar except you don't need to install the LEDs as he did. Link to it.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 LED Trunk Lights DIY Install Video - YouTube

To remove the trunk inner panels, it is the same as IONIQ guy install video he made for the trailer hitch wire harness only. Same panel removal and routing but you don't need to install or touch the wire harness cables. Link to it.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Trailer Wiring Harness - Step by Step Installation Guide - YouTube

Lastly, you will need to route power wires along with front trigger wiring (FOB trigger/front button) to the front where the fuse box area under the steering wheel. The manual suggests routing to the roof liner, but I decided to loop through the door sill, therefore I had the remove the driver side front and back door sill plastic covers to route it through.

Image of driver door sill panel removed
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper Automotive wheel system

All panels are held in push clips, so you just need to pry with a plastic tool and give quick tugs to release them.

Panel removal was not much of issue for me but looping the cables from the tailgate to the inner roof liner via the rubber grommet was PITA for me. If I had to do it again, I would have removed wires from the wire harness connector before looping it through (just got to take pictures before so you remember how to connect the wires back to connectors). This would have made my job 1000% easier as suggested by EV-Vida above and would have saved several hours. Instead, I did it the hard way with a lot of cursing along the way and looped the 7 cables with the harness connectors through the small L-shaped rubber grommet.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks so much for this! so much detail!. I have the trailer hitch wiring installed so I guess I would have to combine the two into a single grommet or whatever if going for the foot sensor. the rest looks reasonable given enough patience, If i managed the Hitch install and the harness that went with it im sure i could get this working!

Any regrets re the kit? I assume if all went to **** this is all reversable stuff anyway

1 - 20 of 21 Posts