Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering the Ioniq for some time now , have already test driven one and intend to go back to the dealer this weekend to proceed with a personal lease.

I will probably be asking lots of questions as I love tech and like to understand all things about it.

This will be my first hybrid and first automatic also. Have driven some automatics and I don't mind them really, especially as they are better than when I first learnt to drive back in the 80's :laugh:

·
Registered
130 Posts
welcome, and hope that your weekend hunting goes well, i would highly recommend using carwow.co.uk for getting a ball park figures of best deals, i went to my dealer armed with these quotes! and put dealers against dealers too, even when i was at the dealer, i was messaging other dealers hahaha..

Which model are you looking to get?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looking to get the Premium SE, I want all the bells and whistles :D

Thanks for the website link. I will definitely have a look at that, although I am looking at a lease so is there much leeway with leasing deals?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
biggest issues with leasing is you have to know your mileage as there will be mileage penalties if you go over unlike PCP that I have due to the mileage I do (30,000+ miles / year)

when looking at lease deals make sure you compare like with like, (initial payments, contract length, and if maintenance is included)

have a look on google, search ioniq contract leasing to give you an idea of costs, I came up with https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/personal/car-contract-hire-and-leasing/hyundai/ioniq/ which shows lease deals from a number of lease companies

biggest issue ate moment is very little stock in he UK so if you want a specific mode / colour combo it is currently july delivery,

it may be worth checking if you qualify for Hyundai's affinity scheme, if you do then it was nearly £3500 discount which might make it worth considering pcp

·
Registered
725 Posts
biggest issues with leasing is you have to know your mileage as there will be mileage penalties if you go over unlike PCP that I have due to the mileage I do (30,000+ miles / year)

when looking at lease deals make sure you compare like with like, (initial payments, contract length, and if maintenance is included)

have a look on google, search ioniq contract leasing to give you an idea of costs, I came up with https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/personal/car-contract-hire-and-leasing/hyundai/ioniq/ which shows lease deals from a number of lease companies

biggest issue ate moment is very little stock in he UK so if you want a specific mode / colour combo it is currently july delivery,

it may be worth checking if you qualify for Hyundai's affinity scheme, if you do then it was nearly £3500 discount which might make it worth considering pcp
I'm doing exactly that...PCP affinity! as the initial salesman I spke to said to me you are hard pressed not to be on their list! I did it through being a National Trust member (you need to have been in continuous membership for months) but could also have done it through having a relative work for one of the employers on their long list

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's really interesting guys. My wife works for the NHS so not sure if Affinity is an option but I can ask. So if I go to my local Hyundai dealer he has some wiggle room on leasing deal prices then?

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's really interesting guys. My wife works for the NHS so not sure if Affinity is an option but I can ask. So if I go to my local Hyundai dealer he has some wiggle room on leasing deal prices then?
Yes it will be! I could do it through my sister working for the NHS!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the discount comes off the price of the car and then they calculate the finance based on the cost price less deposits etc. he pCP finance rate was however 5.9% vs 4.? % without the affinity discount.
Hmmm, well it is still worth a conversation. I have a car I can use as part exchange as well, so maybe I can get the payments down even further.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
make the salesman work for their commission :)

get the affinity price on PCP, the plain PCP, and the PCH

know your annual mileage,
:- you can under estimate a little for PCP as normally no penalty for excess mileage as you will get a lower partex due to mileage, but under estimating a lot can mean you are in negative equity longer meaning you have to wait longer to be able to change your car, or even like I was last year my car was depreciating quicker than I was paying off the PCP, as my mileage was 12,000/year but due to job change I went from 8,000/year to 30,000+ year
:- where as PCH you tend to slightly over estimate as you will get excess mileage at the end

then have a carwow price up your sleeve to use for bargaining :)

also have quote from somewhere like "we buy any car" for your part ex car, or if you go on autotrader for about £3.50 you can get a CAP valuation which is similar to glasses guide the dealers use, so you know the value of your car as well

preparation is the name of the game when going to a dealers

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
make the salesman work for their commission :)

get the affinity price on PCP, the plain PCP, and the PCH

know your annual mileage,
:- you can under estimate a little for PCP as normally no penalty for excess mileage as you will get a lower partex due to mileage, but under estimating a lot can mean you are in negative equity longer meaning you have to wait longer to be able to change your car, or even like I was last year my car was depreciating quicker than I was paying off the PCP, as my mileage was 12,000/year but due to job change I went from 8,000/year to 30,000+ year
:- where as PCH you tend to slightly over estimate as you will get excess mileage at the end

then have a carwow price up your sleeve to use for bargaining :)

also have quote from somewhere like "we buy any car" for your part ex car, or if you go on autotrader for about £3.50 you can get a CAP valuation which is similar to glasses guide the dealers use, so you know the value of your car as well

preparation is the name of the game when going to a dealers

Thanks, I need to understand the differences between, PCP and PCH and the mileage, so some homework to do there. I already have a price from "we buy any car" so that is good. What I didn't realise was that you can haggle on either PCP or PCH prices, so that's really good to know. If the price is right I am looking to pull the trigger this Saturday and then we will see what lead time there is for delivery.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Thanks, I need to understand the differences between, PCP and PCH and the mileage, so some homework to do there. I already have a price from "we buy any car" so that is good. What I didn't realise was that you can haggle on either PCP or PCH prices, so that's really good to know. If the price is right I am looking to pull the trigger this Saturday and then we will see what lead time there is for delivery.

the haggle room is normally to do with the value of your part ex and discount on the price of the car you want to buy, then the GAP insurance and mats etc

you can't normally haggle on the PCP / PCH finance itself as the APR etc is hard set but sometimes they have several rates, eg 1 for new cars and another higher one for secondhand / ex demo

If you qualify for affinity its unlikely you will get anything further off the car, so then it is getting a good price for you part-ex and getting mats etc. thrown in as a sweetner

I normally have an amount per month I want to get to, and start with the lowest and see what they can do, then work up towards my upper limit with the aim of something in the middle of my range. normally the first offer is the one to give them best profit, so rarely is that the one to go for

currently there are no offers other than affinity on the Ioniq from Hyundai Hyundai |New Car Deals & Offers | Hyundai UK

the i40 is similar price to the Ioniq so Hyundai |Hyundai i40 Saloon Deals gives a couple of examples to give an idea of options for PCP costs

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's some tests advice thanks. I'll let you know how I get on when I get back :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
When looking at PCH check rhe pence per mile if you go over. I bought my first vehicle last year on 20K 3+48 and ended up being well under. The Hyundai excess mileage rate is actually quite good and I've gone the other way this time and settled for a 10K 1+48

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When looking at PCH check rhe pence per mile if you go over. I bought my first vehicle last year on 20K 3+48 and ended up being well under. The Hyundai excess mileage rate is actually quite good and I've gone the other way this time and settled for a 10K 1+48
I am looking at 10k, I think that will be sufficient but would be good to know what the costs are if I go over.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so test drive went well. Today I ordered the Premium SE in Iron Grey. Enjoyed the second test drive much more than the first and was impressed with Apple Carplay and the sat nav. Wife's likes it so all good :)

Got the Affinity discount and what I was looking for on my car so I am pretty happy. Now I just need to wait until delivery.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
which did you go for, PCP or PCH?

did you have to haggle much to get what you wanted for your old car?
I actually opted to buy outright. I have an offset mortgage so I am able to put the remaining cost on that at 1.2% interest, cheaper than the garage or a bank loan.

I didn't really haggle much as the figure he offered was what I was expecting. Overall I am happy with the deal. Always said I wouldn't buy a new car due to depreciation but the Hyundai is a good car with a great deal. The 5 year warranty for me is a big deal as it gives me relative piece of mind if I want to keep it that long. I have now downloaded the manual and am going through it highlightingall the bits of interest I have :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts