Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, it's Kahraman from Amsterdam, Netherlands. First of all I am really happy there is a forum for this specific car where I can ask questions.

I am cabby in Amsterdam, and planning to buy the Ioniq Electric. At the moment the offer for this car is operational lease,which I gladly accept. The cab-regulations of Amsterdam has changed alot and they demand us to drive full electric from 2021. So in order to continue I have to invest in an electric car. At the moment, considering price,value, range, space,design this car is by far the best option. I have watched alot of youtube reviews,test-drives (Dutch and English) and can't wait to have this car for my own.

Tomorrow I will have a test-drive, I actually don't know what the "test". That's where you 'experienced' ioniq drivers can help. I really don't know what to test, as I am writing I am thinking of the possible tests I can do. Off course, the range is most important one, but that depends on the speed, environment (road, temperature),aircon but what I really want/need to know is something else. As a cabby people think we drive all the time around and in the city, and that's where all of them get it wrong. We are more idle than continues driving, which brings me to my question. How long can it stay on/running with the aircon running and the phone charging? I like to watch a movie whilest waiting, so I have my phone or my tablet charging. I have seen the display with the energy comsuption per category, for example energy consumption of aircon and electrics in the car.

I also wonder what features are standard,for the EV Standard. If I'm correct, AEB=Autonomous Emergency Brake (is this city safety what other brands call??), LKAS=Lane Keeping Assist System, ASCC=Advanced Smart Cruise Controll. Does it have heated seats in front? Xenon headlights?

Last but not least if could you tell me what to look for specifically whilest doing the test drive?

Greets

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Welcome Kahraman

the EV has LED headlights,

the Ioniq has Full AEB (city safe tends to cover speeds up to 35-40kmh only) the AEB on the Ioniq is all speeds I believe more info are Hyundai IONIQ All-Electric Hatchback | Hyundai UK, and Official Hyundai Ioniq 2016*safety rating look at the safety assist tab and it shows the speeds it works at, the video also shows some of the AEB tests as well

both electric models seem to have heated seats, the upper model has ventilated seats to keep you cool in summer

smart cruise is not much help in town congested traffic, but light motorway traffic it is good

the above based on the UK spec, but from what I can see your version in Netherlands is pretty much the same spec

LKAS only works above about 50kmh so again not much use in town, but out of town / motorway its good

try out the paddles for the different regen braking levels, try the sat nav, and have look around the menus for the settings of the different system on the car, the brakes take a few days to get used to due to the regen braking

have a good test drive and test the knowledge of the sales person by asking lots of questions :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello Kahraman,
I think no one of us can tell you what power consumption will be when standing still and using all the things you mentioned. I think you should be allright if you can wait and charge at the same time at some time during the day.
When you go for a test drive look at the head-room in the back seats. I think persons over 1.85m won't have enough space in the back and when getting in and out of the car it's easy to bump your head.
I have the IONIQ hybrid for a few days now and I love it very much, but i'm always in the driver's seat.

Have fun when testing.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
During my test drive I tried my son of 1.85 in the back seats, and sitting straight he had just enough space for his head. I think above the 1.85 your passengers will sit not straight, but more like you sit or hang on the couch in your living room. For that the space for the legs is a lot, more than enough. You could add some small pillows for tall passengers to put behind their back so that they feel like at home.

During your test drive you can just stand still for half an hour as you describe and see how much of the indicated EV range decreases. Probably it will not be much more than 0.5 km for half an hour, if I compare it to my current Prius Plug In.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!!

What an amazing car! I am amazed in how much technology they've put in the car for this price.

The ev cpu(?) showed 5km more if I shut off the aircon,which is nothing important. 0.36kw/h with the phone on the charger. So 10(!) Hours continuesly on with the charger would only drain 3.6kw thats something I can accept.

Too be honest I am too much impressed to have an objective opninion at the moment. Maybe, like a couple of you have written before, the height in the back is a bit low considering the average Dutchmen being (one of the) tallest in the world.

Two questions though;

Whats VESS?
And what does ANDROID AUTO do?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
VESS is Virtual Engine Sound System it simulates engine noise to warn pedestrians when you are driving in EV mode . Android Auto is an app you can install on your android phone . It connects to the multimedia system and you can use apps like Waze ( for navigation).... and your phone , of course :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the moment I think i wouldnt use VESS,because I would be paying for an electric car,which is quiet would be strange to put an "engine sound" on it. Those pesty cyclist (Amsterdam) don't even hear my 2.4d 5cylinder Volvo engine,so need for a VESS aswell then.

I think there should be more to it than navigation and waze. Because I was connected via bluetooth only ,imported contacts and did some phone calls.

The headlights were not xenon,was too yellowish. A car with all these technologies should have xenon or maybe brighter lights.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Don't think you've got a choice with VESS . Headlights on the electric are LED so should be brighter than the headlights on my hybrid ( which are excellent ) . I just stated Waze as an example , whatever app you have on your phone or want to install will be available on the multimedia system with Android Auto .
Cyclists are pesky everywhere :)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
and regardless who fault any contact is, the driver is always blamed :(

try driving in London, the courier / delivery cyclists are kamakazee's with attitude on 2 wheels, who use hand signals not in the highway code to show what they think when you dare not to give way to them even if they are in the wrong

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
and regardless who fault any contact is, the driver is always blamed :(

try driving in London, the courier / delivery cyclists are kamakazee's with attitude on 2 wheels, who use hand signals not in the highway code to show what they think when you dare not to give way to them even if they are in the wrong
Don't get me started on this subject >:) ..never read the highway code , assume all traffic restrictions don't apply to them , on the highway or pavement and , you say ,always the driver's fault . Having said that my friend's son had an accident on his bicycle last year and it definitely was the driver's fault :laugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a cabby in Amsterdam, I have had damage by cyclists (their fault) for at least €1500. Guess who had to pay for it??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the ev is fully charged in 4,5 hours (100%) does it mean 1 hour of charging is proximately 20% (44km-ish)

And does it have a standard battery aswel?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Probably the last half an hour is charged at a lower power level. But for the first 4 hours I think you can say it will charge at about 6.7 kW, which is 6.7 kWh per hour, which indeed should give you about 45 km additional range per hour. But it is best to check it when you have the car.

Reactions: Kahraman020

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you guys know if all the electronics are connected to the MAIN battery? Or does it have a small battery, like in the conventionel cars?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
It seems to have a 12 V battery; see owners manual page 7-28 (or page 7-21 in Dutch version):

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Now that's good to know since it means that's one more fail safe in place, something that will continue to keep Hyundai competitive by keeping vehicles reliable. But the industry being this far into the EV game its easy to see why this would be standard practice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't think you've got a choice with VESS . Headlights on the electric are LED so should be brighter than the headlights on my hybrid ( which are excellent ) . I just stated Waze as an example , whatever app you have on your phone or want to install will be available on the multimedia system with Android Auto .
VESS can be switched off (for scaring cyclists)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A little update; my Ioniq Electric is to be delivered on Friday 31-03. Hyundai is going to make a big media launch of it. I guess there will be pictures taken. Nine new Ioniq electric owners at least on Friday. I'll post some pictures on the facebool page.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts