• Interesting - I follow it for entertainment value

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Interesting - It got me into tracking my own car

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Useful - I found it a good source of information

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Helpful - It has made the wait more bearable

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Sad - Some people should go get a life ;-)

Votes: 4 16.7%
1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most cars from Korea are shipped by the car carrier company Eukor which is 20% owned by Hyundai.
Most ships in Eukor's fleet can carry a minimum of 6000 cars at a time, and when they leave Korea bound for Europe they make numerous stops along the way. For example, the last ship to dock in the UK carrying Hyundais had previously called at Livorno, Italy to offload a number of cars there.

Now a Eukor ship with Kias and Hyundais aboard, the Morning Compass, had been seized mid February by Libyans before being released a few days later to continue on to Germany.
Interestingly, that same ship is due to dock at Tilbury in the UK (where Hyundai’s UK import centre is located) in just 5 days time (9th March), presumably to offload Kia and Hyundai vehicles.

Now it would make sense that given the nature of the ship’s delay, that Hyundai couldn’t give specific details on the reasons for it, or for how long it would be delayed. It was around the time of the seizure that I was informed of the delay to my car (but I'm still being advised April).

So, perhaps some lucky peeps might receive their Ioniqs before the end of March after all. Or, I’m barking up the wrong tree and that’s the ship that I’ve read was supposed to be arriving yesterday (3rd march)!

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's currently in Le Havre port, arrived yesterday. Hyundai beleive that it will arrive in the UK, no later than 12/3/17. I am led to believe my car is on there, as it was due to arrive a week earlier but got "pushed back". Then there is the offloading, port inspections/processing and finallly delivery to dealer. We have to remember there are about 28 people working at Tilbury.

Will it be here before the March road tax cut off? Let's hope so!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think mine is on that boat, the wishful thinking centre of my brain tried to join a few dots and got it wrong - I was informed of the delay well before the Morning Compass got seized, not 'about the same time'.

And it is easy to forget that those ships carry both Kia and Hyundai of various different models, not just Ioniqs. And March is especially busy for a mere handful of import centre staff.

I just wish Hyundai would provide more specific so I can avoid speculation. I'm hoping mine might be on the Morning Lily, scheduled to pass through Suez on the 13th...

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you bought from a dealer. They can give you accurate info from their dealer portal. I have seen the VIN number of my new car. They have the info, you need to tell them you know they have it and want to see it lol.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Believe me I've tried. The dealer is adamant he doesn't have any more info.

They have confirmed that the car has been built (as of early february), but other than that '8 weeks' is all they would say. Even two weeks after that, still "8 weeks".

Pretty pathetic really :(

·
Registered
278 Posts
They can. I have a screenshot of the dealer network. Just can't post it right now as I don't know how to do it from iPhone.

They have access to that information if they are being honest about the fact it's been made. I promise.

Reactions: DaveAZ

·
Registered
278 Posts
Whoop whoop. Morning Compass has left Immingham and is en route to Tilbury having dropped of its UK Kia vehicles. Now the lovely Hyundai ones, including, logically, my Ioniq delayed from 3/3/17. Maybe... lol.

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the Port Authority has the battle-worn Compass booked in for 18:00hrs today. Lucky you!;)

Conversly, the boat that I believe to be carrying my car has just entered the Gulf of Aden heading for the Suez Canal. It's about 16hrs ahead of schedule :nerd:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Alien-s. If you pm me an email address I can send you the screenshot from Hyundai dealer network showing eta and time taken to process etc.

I can't upload here using iPhone or iPad. Unless someone else can help me do it.

Then you can show your dealer it and ask to see your vehicle time line.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From your screenshot below, I wonder where the date 12/3 comes from?

The Morning Compass is currently at anchor outside of Tilbury, having been given a docking slot of 23:15. Today is only the 9th.
No mention of sailing date on the pic you sent (perhaps behind the progress window?)

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
From your screenshot below, I wonder where the date 12/3 comes from?

The Morning Compass is currently at anchor outside of Tilbury, having been given a docking slot of 23:15. Today is only the 9th.
No mention of sailing date on the pic you sent (perhaps behind the progress window?)
You have to bear in mind that the dates are provisional and approximate as weather etc will affect the time of arrival. I was initially told and saw that the date was 3/3/17. However the Morning Compass was 'detained' by Libyan Militants

South Korean car carrier released by Libyan military

This caused a delay that as my dealer said, pushed back arrival time.

Having waaaay too much time on my hands I've followed the ship recently from Hyundai's Le Havre import facility, to the Kia import facility in Illingham (it spent a couple of days there.) So arriving late at night on the 9th would mean that the maximum of 28 staff have two days to processs all of the cars to meet the 12 th date given..

But yes, there is a lot of detail on the screen behind the front window. It gives chassis number, date of completion and shipping etc. Your dealer can let you see both.

Also, the front window shows the production date and completion date as NA. I know that it has been made as the VIN number is on the detail behind, along with other info. In fact the window behind is more useful to a purchaser, so I'm not sure why they put that on there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well bet mine is on one of these boats, not sure which one though!

As long as it gets registered by end of March, I'll be a happy bunny ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Curiously, Morning Compass is due to depart Tilbury today at 19:30hrs.

Destination? Immingham... given that it's just been there, I wonder who's Kia they forgot to drop off? :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Curiously, Morning Compass is due to depart Tilbury today at 19:30hrs.

Destination? Immingham... given that it's just been there, I wonder who's Kia they forgot to drop off? :D
Omg. Lol yes. Just seen that. I would love to know the story that ship has to tell. Must be a very good reason to go back to immingham. It's not cheap to cruise and pay port fees.

Looking at arrivals for Tilbury in march, morning compass is only car carrier due. So my car best be on there.

This Ioniq, its faults, delays in delivery, revisiting ports, are looking like a comedy of errors. However most large companies demonstrate high levels of incompetence, quite frequently. I mean it took me 9 months to find a fix for an issue my BMW suffered from. I do mean me too. Took reasearch and contact with a Spanish dealer to tell BMW UK how to fix my car. Apparently BMW UK don't talk to BMW Spain.

Only time will tell whether my car arrives on time or at all! Lol.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Interestly. Morning Pilot is due in the UK on 13/3. Its destination is currently Brixham! Sleepy Devon port? Strange.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hyundai and Kia use Eukor. Eukor Signs New 4-Year Car Shipping Contract with Hyundai | World Maritime News

Eukor operates a fleet of RORO car transport ships. http://www.eukor.com/homepage/eukor/fleet_fleetlist.jsp

Hyundai operate their vehicle imports out of Tilbury. https://www.hyundaipressoffice.co.uk/release/291/

You can see arrivals of ships at Tilbury at the port authority page. Ship movements

You can also track ships on many apps, I use ship finder hd. Alternatively you can use websites like Vesselfinder

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/MORNING-COMPASS-IMO-9441611-MMSI-311072400

It's just a matter of googling and a particular set of skills lol.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As well as the Port of London site, I use Marine Traffic

Link to the ship I hope is carrying mine.. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:463156/mmsi:372627000/vessel:MORNING%20LILY
Clicking the 'Latest position' button in the map is very informative.

You need to check the time of the last position update, because AIS relies on a network of 'volunteer enthusiast' receiver stations and can be up to a day or two old. You have to pay big bucks to get live satellite positions...

1 - 20 of 310 Posts