Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anecdotal at this point, and may be wholly irrelevant to Ioniq users anyway - but I read elsewhere that there have been cases in Australia where KONA EVs have died - flat 12v battery - needed towing to a dealer - and it is suspected that it is a recent update to iOS on connected Apple handsets that is the cause/trigger.
Posted just in case
a) it is genuine and
b) it does affect Ioniq as well
as a heads-up.

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
i doubt it is genuine, as i believe the kona has a LiPo 12v battery and the 12v reset button in event of a flat battery

also the cigar lighter and USB sockets should power down when the car shuts down to prevent this

even if the 12v is flat shouldn't need towing, just a quick boost the wake the car up and start it charging from the traction battery

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Like almost all BEVs (the Ioniq/Niro HEV is an exception), the Kona has a 12 volt lead acid battery and the forums already have failure posts.

iPhone caused failure? Seems unlikely, but if so, more likely to be a poorly designed Hyundai app with excessive and unnecessary communication with car, or car interface fault with such an app. An iOS update that enabled an app design flaw can be envisioned I suppose, but it sure sounds like fake news.

·
Registered
555 Posts
i doubt it is genuine, as i believe the kona has a LiPo 12v battery and the 12v reset button in event of a flat battery
That should rescue it for sure.

I have seen examples of wired devices causing strange behaviour in a Hyundai before however. In my 2012 Genesis Coupe the car would refuse to be locked (you'd lock it and it would self unlock after a minute or so) or sometimes the head unit would not shut off with the car (draining the 12V and requiring a jump start) if I had a phone booster charging in the USB socket. It was odd because normally the USB socket would power down with the head unit. It didn't happen every time, but happened more than once until I discovered that unplugging the booster battery turned everything back to normal. It would be even weirder though if the Kona issue was tied to the version of iOS on the device left connected to it, but who knows in the crazy world of modern software...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s real and DOES affect Ioniqs. Mine got towed away on Friday after using the app. The dealers are still scratching their head, despite me offering possible solutions that have worked for other people.

the 12v doesn’t die, mine is still good. The12v battery warning light does light up though. My car is only 3 months old, only 3k km on it.

·
Registered
AE.3 IONIQ EV Hatch Premium 38.3 kWh
15 Posts
I have heard a few ioniq's and Kona's in Australia suffering from this. Mine seems to be okay but last week The preheating temperature set itself to low and wouldn't let the slider in the app move. The latest IOS update of the app came through the other day and that is working correctly. I did hear that it was when you used the app to preheat or cool it was causing these bricking problems to occur. Does your tyre pressures display in the app MEDS. It used to show up on my 2020 model but for a few months they disappeared. Also, the battery percentage displays at 2% lower than the car displays. I just can't get to speak to anyone in technical at Hyundai to talk through the details of what is happening so it's making it hard to get things fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard a few ioniq's and Kona's in Australia suffering from this. Mine seems to be okay but last week The preheating temperature set itself to low and wouldn't let the slider in the app move. The latest IOS update of the app came through the other day and that is working correctly. I did hear that it was when you used the app to preheat or cool it was causing these bricking problems to occur. Does your tyre pressures display in the app MEDS. It used to show up on my 2020 model but for a few months they disappeared. Also, the battery percentage displays at 2% lower than the car displays. I just can't get to speak to anyone in technical at Hyundai to talk through the details of what is happening so it's making it hard to get things fixed.
Hi Ian D. Would you know if the Hyundai "premium link" app can be installed on two phones? I asked the sales person here in Perth Australia and he has never installed on more than one phone.
Also he said he normally only succedes 80% of the time.
Many Thanks

·
Registered
AE.3 IONIQ EV Hatch Premium 38.3 kWh
15 Posts
Hi Ian D. Would you know if the Hyundai "premium link" app can be installed on two phones? I asked the sales person here in Perth Australia and he has never installed on more than one phone.
Also he said he normally only succedes 80% of the time.
Many Thanks

Hi Ebatt

Yes you can have it on two devices. It's a while since I tried that but it may log the other device out when you use the second one. I'm not positive about that but have a feeling it will. When I called Hyundai Customer Support once they told me I had two devices set up (iPhone and iPad) so it must okay. I haven't tried since the last IOS update.

I hope that helps you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have her back! They said that Hyundai pushed out an update through the auto link premium system for affected vehicles.

not sure about tyre pressure. Only had the car 3 months, so not noticed. You can get it on the dash though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Ebatt

Yes you can have it on two devices. It's a while since I tried that but it may log the other device out when you use the second one. I'm not positive about that but have a feeling it will. When I called Hyundai Customer Support once they told me I had two devices set up (iPhone and iPad) so it must okay. I haven't tried since the last IOS update.

I hope that helps you.
Thanks for your reply. Reading on Google play store reviews for the "Auto Link Premium" does not inspire using it, many cars have been bricked by the app in the last few weeks, here in australia and needed towing back to the delears

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original source of this (a post on another forum) has been updated. Apparently:

.....it was iOS. Well TBF you could say it was Hyundai......

When (the owner) sent a command to pre-warm the car the security in the car software decided it was being hacked. The security stuff in an iOS update seems to have overridden any existing agreements between software that security certificates were kosher and the car nerve centre killed the immobiliser - and that can only be reset in the workshop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts