Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a VW Golf owner from the United States. It's one of the cars affected by the diesel emissions scandal. Buybacks should put me in the market for a fuel efficient commuter car around the time that the Ioniq hits U.S. dealers.

I average about 2,200 miles (3,540 km) of mostly highway driving each month. Range and fuel economy are very important.

The Ioniq looks likes a solid contender. It has features I want (Carplay, driver assist, sunroof, etc), excellent fuel economy, and fairly normal looks for a dedicated hybrid.

Other cars on my radar are the Niro and traditional sedan hybrids such as Accord, Sonata, and Optima.

My biggest concern at this point is how normal it will be to drive a hybrid. I have never been in one before and don't want to end up with something under-powered for highway driving.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Todd,

No worries at all about highway driving in a hybrid.

I've taken various Priuses (my own 2004 and newer Avis rentals) on many cross-country road trips of up to 4,500 miles round-trip. There is absolutely NO issue with a hybrid keeping up with highway traffic--and getting up to 50 MPG (actually calculated, not based on the on-board readout) while it does. Priuses are GREAT highway cruisers.

I'd be first in line to buy a 2016/17 Prius if the thing weren't so danged ugly. That's why I'm here looking at the Ioniq. I suspect it will perform about on a par with a Prius, but it looks a whole lot better and Hyundai offers more tech options that I'd like to have.

The Accord, Sonata and Optima hybrids are quite a bit bigger than both the Prius and the Ioniq. They're too big for what I need, but you should take a look at them. I've test-driven the Sonata and the Optima, and like them a lot, but they're "family-sedan" sized and that's bigger than I need.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'll just second sundayt's comments. I've owned a hybrid (Prius) since 2010 and will never own a non-hybrid again. In May my wife and I drove a 5000 + mile trip and it was comfortable and efficient. Most passengers will never know it is a hybrid. I live in the mountains and have no concern about climbing long grades, passing is not problem either. It is not a sub 10 second 0 to 60 car, but good performance is measured is others ways.

The Ioniq is new and few have actually driven one. I am watching and waiting for the new Ioniq for the same reasons that sundayt is ...... Hyundai has been manufacturing hybrid's for a time now, so the Ioniq is not the "first out the chute."

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would definitely confirm before buying, but Hyundai/Kia have been rolling out Carplay as a software update to recent model year cars (2014+).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts