Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm currently testing a Premium SE 1.6 GDi. I already own a VW GTE. The only odd thing for me is the foot operated parking brake and my question is:

- Is there no auto-hold on the PHEV?
- When I am at a traffic light, do I really have to hold my foot on the brake and therefore keep the brake lights on?
- Does this model have hill start? If so, how does it work?

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,836 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

I believe only the EV variant has auto-hold as well as an electronic parking brake instead of a foot-operated one. Both the HEV and PHEV have foot-operated parking brakes and no auto-hold.

Both the HEV and PHEV also do have hill-start. From the Canadian 2017 manual:

Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC)
The Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC)
helps prevent the vehicle from rolling
backwards when starting a vehicle
from a stop on a hill. The system
operates the brakes automatically for
approximately 2 seconds and releases
the brake after 2 seconds or when
the accelerator pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the swift reply. I guess that means i have to keep my foot on the brake at lights :/

One more question: is it normal for the car to "creep" so much?

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,836 Posts
To me, it seems comparatively normal to other automatics I've owned/driven. If you're coming from a manual, I suppose it could seem excessive.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Switching to neutral at a stop is now ingrained in my driving. Not because I don't need to use the brake, I usually do use the brakes because the car rolls much easier than my last car so it tends to move when stopped on the slightest of inclines. I do it because the creep function is using energy at a complete stop. Not much, but why use any? I'd prefer no creep function at all, but Hyundai didn't see fit to offer us that option.

An alternative to sitting at a stop with your foot on the brake is shifting to park. I rarely do that as it seems odd to flash your back up lights to cars behind you when you shift into drive. I know I get briefly nervous when a car in front of me does that.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Switching to neutral at a stop is now ingrained in my driving. Not because I don't need to use the brake, I usually do use the brakes because the car rolls much easier than my last car so it tends to move when stopped on the slightest of inclines. I do it because the creep function is using energy at a complete stop. Not much, but why use any? I'd prefer no creep function at all, but Hyundai didn't see fit to offer us that option.

An alternative to sitting at a stop with your foot on the brake is shifting to park. I rarely do that as it seems odd to flash your back up lights to cars behind you when you shift into drive. I know I get briefly nervous when a car in front of me does that.

Yes, I agree. Well known is the application of a brake light that indicates (surprise, surprise) the brakes are applied, but flashing back-up lights WILL eventually lead to panic and confusion.
Best avoided, especially with the senile contingent sat behind you... Doddery old buffers ought to be actively encouraged to take the bus... :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all,

I'm currently testing a Premium SE 1.6 GDi. I already own a VW GTE. The only odd thing for me is the foot operated parking brake and my question is:

- Is there no auto-hold on the PHEV?
If you can postpone your purchase, the updated models of car being introduced in the autumn will have electronic parking brakes and auto-hold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts