Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a test drive in a plug-in yesterday as I'm seriously interested. I have a 10 mile commute to work (and 10 miles back again) and I was hoping that it may be possible to do this trip everyday without the engine kicking in at all if the car is fully charged every night i.e. the motor being there just for weekends if we want to make a trip that's a few hundred miles.

My commute is one straight road with a 40mph speed limit all the way - the only annoyance being several sets of traffic lights that mean there is some stop/start driving instead of cruising economically! I was very hopeful that travelling at such low speed for such a short distance would be ideal for the Ioniq and that it may be able to do this particular trip as though it was an all electric vehicle. However, even though the heater was off, I was hardly touching the throttle and we were in EV mode, the engine kept insisting on kicking in! I was still hopeful that this was only happening to put a little bit of charge back into the battery and that not a lot of fuel would be used but the trip computer suggested that we did actually use quite a bit. We were limited for time on the test drive and only did about 5 miles along the route that I usually travel to work but the trip meter only showed an average of 60mpg for these 5 miles.

My question to those of you who own plug-ins already is whether this just wasn't a long enough trip to get a realistic mpg figure from the trip computer? Do any of you perhaps manage a short commute every day without using hardly any fuel at all in EV mode?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I had a test drive in a plug-in yesterday as I'm seriously interested. I have a 10 mile commute to work (and 10 miles back again) and I was hoping that it may be possible to do this trip everyday without the engine kicking in at all if the car is fully charged every night i.e. the motor being there just for weekends if we want to make a trip that's a few hundred miles.

My commute is one straight road with a 40mph speed limit all the way - the only annoyance being several sets of traffic lights that mean there is some stop/start driving instead of cruising economically! I was very hopeful that travelling at such low speed for such a short distance would be ideal for the Ioniq and that it may be able to do this particular trip as though it was an all electric vehicle. However, even though the heater was off, I was hardly touching the throttle and we were in EV mode, the engine kept insisting on kicking in! I was still hopeful that this was only happening to put a little bit of charge back into the battery and that not a lot of fuel would be used but the trip computer suggested that we did actually use quite a bit. We were limited for time on the test drive and only did about 5 miles along the route that I usually travel to work but the trip meter only showed an average of 60mpg for these 5 miles.

My question to those of you who own plug-ins already is whether this just wasn't a long enough trip to get a realistic mpg figure from the trip computer? Do any of you perhaps manage a short commute every day without using hardly any fuel at all in EV mode?
I find My PHEV ideal for stop start driving, very relaxing
It is possible to drive the PHEV in EV only mode, accelerate gently keeping the power gauge in the Eco range, the ICE will run if you use the heater (I set temperature to "Lo" for short journeys). The ICE occasional runs on startup but only for a short time. Here is a video of me driving through Truro (UK). The ICE only ran for about 20sec when accelerating up an incline at 40-45mph the rest was on battery. This was at the end of a 14mile journey in EV mode

If the ICE kept running on your test drive, it suggest the traction battery was low and the car had reverted to Hybrid mode automatically. The flag on bottom right of drivers display changes from EV to Hybrid when this happens

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds promising. They know I'm genuinely interested at the dealership and so they offered to let me take it out on my own for a longer trip as we didn't have too much time yesterday. Hopefully if I do a full 30 miles, I'll start to see an average mpg of 99 then!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sounds promising. They know I'm genuinely interested at the dealership and so they offered to let me take it out on my own for a longer trip as we didn't have too much time yesterday. Hopefully if I do a full 30 miles, I'll start to see an average mpg of 99 then!
Make sure the battery is fully charged before you start your test drive. Bear in mind that the average mpg data is just that...average...and uses historical data as part of it calculations.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
In all honesty I would never buy a PHEV like the ioniq... Or most PHEVs for what it matters. It's ridiculous the range they put in those cars.
I would only consider the European version of the Volt, the i3 REX or similar. It should be mandatory to have an EV range of 100km not less. This is 2018, how is it still legal to have PHEVs with 30km(not necessarily talking about the ioniq) of range is something beyond my understanding...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The battery was only at 70% when we started yesterday so maybe that's why it wanted to give it a bit of a charge at the beginning of the drive. They are intending to charge it fully next time so hopefully it will win me over! I hope it does too because it's a nice refined car to drive.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's what I think the PHEV was made for :) and your profile is fairly similar to mine except I am retired. I do a similar trip to your commute once a week to meet the grandchildren from school and it is always almost entirely on electric.

Your decision of course but I think the PHEV has got a very serious contender. Possibly your biggest probelem is going to be your petrol going stale :D.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
In all honesty I would never buy a PHEV like the ioniq... Or most PHEVs for what it matters. It's ridiculous the range they put in those cars.
I would only consider the European version of the Volt, the i3 REX or similar. It should be mandatory to have an EV range of 100km not less. This is 2018, how is it still legal to have PHEVs with 30km(not necessarily talking about the ioniq) of range is something beyond my understanding...
I disagree, I do mainly short journeys and the Ioniq PHEV is ideally suited to that. Until the charging infrastructure improves and is simpler to use I would not consider an EV.
The range of EVs will improve as battery technology advances.

·
Super Moderator
1,808 Posts
I disagree, I do mainly short journeys and the Ioniq PHEV is ideally suited to that. Until the charging infrastructure improves and is simpler to use I would not consider an EV.
The range of EVs will improve as battery technology advances
And that's the whole purpose of the PHEV and why I didn't jump straight to EV :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The PHEV appeals to me because I sometimes make really long trips though. I guess I could stop for a coffee every 100 miles if I could find somewhere to charge a pure EV but it would be nice to not have to think about it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The battery was only at 70% when we started yesterday so maybe that's why it wanted to give it a bit of a charge at the beginning of the drive. They are intending to charge it fully next time so hopefully it will win me over! I hope it does too because it's a nice refined car to drive.
There is a switch next to the gear shift to switch between hybrid and EV, perhaps you were in hybrid mode on your test drive, it should run quite happily in EV mode with 70% charge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were in EV mode and very light on the throttle so I'd originally hoped it would only engage the ICE if the battery got down to 20% or something like that but I guess 164 miles on 8 litres is pretty good going. That's about 93 mpg isn't it?

·
Registered
475 Posts
The battery was only at 70% when we started yesterday so maybe that's why it wanted to give it a bit of a charge at the beginning of the drive.
You will find that when you turn the ignition on that the ICE will start up. The reason for that is related to the airconditioning. Turn the airconditioning off and the ICE will turn off. Depending on the spec some are using the electric heated steering wheel and seats for warmth and having the a/c set very low, thus reducing the ICE usage.

The battery at 70% should not cause the ICE to kick in unless you need it for power or heating. This thread is updating as I type, as BDG says make sure the dealer has it set up for Electric first choice and NOT Hybrid mode which retains the battery charge and then only becomes neccessary once the battery is exhausted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks as though I need to have posted 10 times to follow the link to see BDG's fuel use, so nearly there!

"To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 6 posts"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your mpg at the bottom of your post looks good David - the PHEV has got to be a better option than the standard hybrid hasn't it - sounds as though you guys are happy with it?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Looks as though I need to have posted 10 times to follow the link to see BDG's fuel use, so nearly there!

"To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 6 posts"
Sorry didn't know about 10 posts bit here is a link to my fuelly :- Herbie (Hyundai Ioniq) | Fuelly
Looking at DavidH and my fuel consumption you should get around 93-95 mpg on short journeys

1 - 20 of 42 Posts