Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Please help me figure out if this is the car for me

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  New guy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Your help would be appreciated. I was originally looking for a plug in hybrid ioniq, but stumbled on a smoking deal for a left over brand new 2020 ioniq ev. Here is my dilemma.
My commute is 200km per day round trip. All highway driving at 90 to 110km per hour. Variation of hilly and flat terrain.
I could charge at home if I install a level 2 charger and my employer is willing to install a level 2 charger for me. I do longer road trips 5 or 6 times a year but have a Gas guzzling truck I could use if need to travel long range on occasion. I currently spend about $500,a month on gas commuting in a Mazda 3 which is fairly efficient for a gas car. Would the ioniq ev work for me commuting 200km per day if I could charge on both ends of my commute, which I am sure it will, but could I get away with charging 100%of the time just at work, or would I be pushing it to drive 200km per day on a single charge? Is it harmful to charge this car to 100% all the time? From what I have read an ev should only be charged to 100% on rare occasions.
I could partially charge at work and at home as an option to keep the battery in an ideal range. Please help with you thoughts on this... Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated

#2 ·
2020 Ioniq Electric (by which I mean, the one with the 38.3kWh battery) in my case, has never had a range lower than about 170 miles (~270km) in the UK. I appreciate our climate is probably not as extreme as in Canada but there is a pretty good margin there. Certainly if you can charge (even if partially at one or the other) at BOTH ends of your commute you will be fine; and probably still so even if only at one end or the other. Hills don't make a massive difference; what you lose going up, you regain (most of) coming back down. I don't know what you'd pay for electricity but the car averages about 4-5 miles per kWh so I guess you can work it out from there; it will be substantially less than gasoline, I suspect. I don't believe there is much (or any) real evidence to suggest that charging to 100% on a level 2 outlet does any harm; and in any case, the battery is warranted (here at least, so I guess there) for a long time and a long distance.

#3 ·
You'll be fine I think. I did a 160 mile trip in my 38 kWh Ioniq, sheltering behing lorries so 58 mph mostly, final 1/4 I sped up to around 56-70 mph as obvs had plenty of range in hand on my first ever long trip in it. Temp was 10C, wet roads but not heavy rain, just drizzle/light stuff in most places. I arrived with 40 miles range left, so could have done a 180 mile trip at that speed safely. Dual carriageway/motorways, no significant hills.

But do check if this 2020 left-over car is due for the battery recall/swap that H are doing, some day, or possible trying to get out of doing by fudging the BMS software as suggested in some Kona threads. Check the VIN carefully.

Mine was registered Sept 2019, and the battery is due a swap/repair/whatever. So H have told us to limit charging to 90% SOC until car is fixed. That means I'm seeing 180 miles on the GOM in present pleasantly warm & summery weather, rather than the 200 I used to see. But even with the 90% restriction I still think you'd have plenty in hand. This car uses a heat pump, and If I select/de-select my aircon I see at most about 10 miles change in predicted range, not bad at all.

So far no Ioniqs have caught fire that we know of, and to be fair very few Konas either, these 2 have virtually identical cells in. I'm not worried about mine, but it's parked outside anyway so house should be safe if the worst happened.

Very comfortable car, nice to drive. I love mine!

Reactions: New guy
#4 ·
Hi
I live in Ottawa and am retired, so my driving history will not reflect yours. But, I drive 60 km per week on average, mostly city but some 80 kph roads. I charge at home only and my 2020 Ioniq tells me with my driving habits I can go 350 km on a full charge. That is spring to fall readings with winter mode turned off and limited use of air. Winter driving with Blizzaks winter tires and winter mode turned on I drop to 290-310 km per charge.
At 100 kph daily I would expect you to see 250-290 km per charge. You could easily do a short top up at work for a couple of hours and would have no issues with your commute.
The Ioniq is a great car and you will be very pleased with the performance and ride.

#6 ·
Hi
I live in Ottawa and am retired, so my driving history will not reflect yours. But, I drive 60 km per week on average, mostly city but some 80 kph roads. I charge at home only and my 2020 Ioniq tells me with my driving habits I can go 350 km on a full charge. That is spring to fall readings with winter mode turned off and limited use of air. Winter driving with Blizzaks winter tires and winter mode turned on I drop to 290-310 km per charge.
At 100 kph daily I would expect you to see 250-290 km per charge. You could easily do a short top up at work for a couple of hours and would have no issues with your commute.
The Ioniq is a great car and you will be very pleased with the performance and ride.
Thanks for your reply. I live near Algonquin Park and travel to Ottawa a few times a year.. It's about 175km. Do you think the ioniq could make that trip in the winter, without needing to charge part way? I would be doing 90km on the county roads and 100 to 100kmph from Renfrew to Ottawa. If I could do that trip a couple times over the winter and not stress about making it all the way to Ottawa this car would be ideal. Plenty of places to charge in Ottawa for the return trip, I just wouldn't want to have to stop to charge more than once for the round trip. Any thoughts based on your experience?

#5 ·
Afaik Ioniq 38 has only one weakness. Occasionally it can suffer a flat battery. Quite a few posts in here about this, but it could be a very small %age of Ioniqs getting clobbered. Advice seems to be make sure you have Battery Saver+ set on in the menus, and always use the keyfob to lock the car fully at night so the car's computer deffo gets powered down & can't drain the battery by getting stuck on. Some here think the bluetooth app remote-control stuff can be the problem, but I've had a flat 12V and I don't use that stuff, and I always lock using the fob, so as yet I can't explain why my 12V went flat. So will be worth getting a portable booster pack, mine fits in the large central console storage, just in case. Other than that it seems to be a rock-solid car, and is certain to be more reliable than it's petrolly siblings!

Reactions: New guy
#7 · (Edited)
Hi
I wouldn’t see any issues with the trip. I was just part of an EV demo this past weekend and travelled the 417 from Orleans to Kanata and back. Did about 100 km at 100-110 kph. My average usage was 12.4 kw/100km which relates to being safely able to travel 250 km with room at the bottom of the battery at the end of the trip. 38.5 kwh battery divided by 12.4 kw/100km is about 300 km until fully discharged.
If you haven’t already, browse the site plugshare or get the app. The website is better. You can see all charging points available and you can filter by plug type, charge network. In Ontario filter by Ivy, Petrocanada, Chargepoint, Flo, Circuit Electric. The later is Quebec based but they have some chargers in eastern Ontario and around Ottawa.
Remember, at a rapid charger it is not worth the time to charge up past 80%. The battery management slows down the charging past the 80% for battery safety. Typical to all electrics. If you want max distance available for the return trip try to find a place to plug into a slow charger to get to 100 %. You could fast charge to 80% then use a 110v outlet and use the supplied charger to top up, or find a 7.2 kw station to do the top up.

#9 ·
Good point about the charging rate. Sadly the 38 is one of the slower charging EVs around! But this is made up by having such a brilliant efficiency. Here's the Fastned chart for the 38. It doesn't show the bit beyond 93%, but can tell you from experience that it goes down pretty linearly to 0kW at 100% SOC! So you only suffer that last bit if you really, desperately, need the electrons!
Rectangle Slope Font Line Plot

Reactions: KevinT
#11 ·
I did get the 2020 ioniq electric. I do love the car. It's perfect for me. Range anxiety disappeared after driving the car home from the dealer the 1st day. Plenty of charging options out there.
In what is a crazy market for buying a car I couldn't pass up the deal. The car is a 2020 prefered model with only 4000km on it and it was only registered in May of 2021 so had only been on the road for 6 months. I got it for $27400 plus tax, then got another $1000 used ev rebate from an organisation called plug n drive in Ontario. I did a 1 hour online seminar with them and sent my bill of sale after the purchase and they sent a cheque for $1000. So considering all that I had to jump on the deal. The car is like brand new only about $15000 cheaper than buying new.
For my day to day use it has plenty of range and is a pleasure to drive. I love the highway driving assist and adaptive cruise control. It works extremely well and I think it is not talked about enough.
Having more range would be nice on longer trips, as the charging tends to be on the slow side at rapid chargers. I fing it takes close to an hour to charge from 20 to 80 percent, but I can live with that. Overall I am very happy with the car, I think it gets overlooked because of the shorter range compared to what else is out there now, but for 95% of people I think it's got plenty of range and is a very well built car.

#13 ·
Well done with the 2020 IONIQ- I own the 2021 model yr. and I got it on a bargain, as it was a return from lease. I THINK the bargains come because the IONIQ 05 is out, and the 'plain IONIQ' is now out of date/fashion/ or?
And yes, it is a fine driving and handling EV. And its great on parking and close city travel. Drive Safe and Enjoy

#16 ·
BTW there's a battery recall program in place for some early 38 kWh Ioniqs built up to around mid 2020 I think. Mine's in this program, expecting replacement battery by about April, unless this date has slipped. H are asking those of us affected to limit charging to 90% until the fix is done. Threads in here somewhere about all this palaver!

Reactions: KevinT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.