Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I read somewhere that due to safety reasons, the media unit doesn't allow video playback which perfectly makes sense. However, I am wondering why it isn't allowed whilst the car is stationary - say park somewhere, take a break and match a video/movie! ;)

Has anyone got any more info or someone clever worked out a hack for this yet? 0:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Actually you are not missing much....I dumped carplay before I even got the car to try it in favour of the wireless charging pad plugged into the phone itself....carplay is so limited to the apps you can use its pretty useless. I would rather have a USb stick of music and the wireless charging......that is unless you like to recite and listen to text messages when you are driving which I dont!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
You and that windows phone!!!!!
I can't help it if I consider android full of security holes and apple I personally dislike their ethics

don't leave me a lot of choice and I love win phone 10 as an OS

I don't do apps, so lack of candy crush etc don't affect me or waste my battery :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait so you can't use it even when the vehicle is stationary, in park, emergency brake engaged kinda ting?
Yes that's my understanding unless someone tells me otherwise. I have not found a way yet to play videos on that big screen n wonderful infinity audio system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could you do it via carplay etc?

eg play the video on the media unit via an app on your phone?

I can't as my windows phone is not supported like they
Very limited apps (no video ones) only which Apple approve for CarPlay. So not much fun there!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sure a simple software update can allow that. The Infinity system definitely does have the enough hardware capability to play videos. It just seems to have blocked by not providing the software to do it...

Given the software can be updated by simple SD card, maybe someone can start tweaking the system to open up new things in the near future... :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
A couple of years ago i owned a fancy flat VDO Dayton PN 6000 on top mobile nav set. It included a DVB-T. tuner enabling television in your car. Many times saw the evening news bulletin and Sesamestreet while stucked in a traffic jam coming from work. However, for safety it did not work when it spotted the car driving faster than 5 km / hr.

It was an ideal solution for making it through the night.
Would surely like to have this in the Ioniq. Why not Hyundai? We have a sharp big screen, a lot of hardware and as elderly buyers of a unique car enough money. DVB-T is standard tech. Same applies for videoplay over USB.
Live Services are nice but they won't work most of the time due to a firmware bug. 2 displayed compasses is bullshit as TbT navigation display is completely redundant. Strange guys those Koreans! Give the buyers what they want, bread and games. We all like to be decadent LOL ;-)).

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't care. It's still a car, not a living room or a cinema!

If you really want it, stick your smartphone on the dash and stream what you like...

Reactions: chunga68

·
Registered
776 Posts
That exactly was the reason i got rid of the VDO. Hate a bunch of cables and suction holders over my dash. Build- in nav should deliver progress not a fallback.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Actually you are not missing much....I dumped carplay before I even got the car to try it in favour of the wireless charging pad plugged into the phone itself....carplay is so limited to the apps you can use its pretty useless. I would rather have a USb stick of music and the wireless charging......that is unless you like to recite and listen to text messages when you are driving which I dont!
I quite like it actually, people know to get in touch with me via phone or text while I'm on the move and a few times it has been very useful as I've had an urgent text. I like the ability to navigate through podcasts and much safer than fiddling about with the actual phone. They only give you apps that are relevant for use in the car, it's pretty much what I'd design if I could. Syncs to my Apple music so it's always updated with what I've downloaded, don't have to update a USB stick all the time. I'm no Apple evangelist, much of what they make irritates the heck out of me, I can't figure out how to use a mac at all, completely baffling, but Carplay, yes I get it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That exactly was the reason i got rid of the VDO. Hate a bunch of cables and suction holders over my dash. Build- in nav should deliver progress not a fallback.
Unfortunately you have to protect people from themselves. That's why seat belt chimes exist, I actually don't even move my car until everyone inside has buckled up. This is not directed at you, but we do have to admit, a large amount of people are stupid and feel self entitled. Look at these Tesla owners driving the car incorrectly and then attempting to sue Tesla when they demolish the car. By hard coding the ability out of the firmware it protects Hyundai from long court cases as you would have to tamper with the firmware which I am sure will create some flag when investigated.

Even if a users intention is to use it when parked, I can see it being an issue, as a driver you should always be aware of your surroundings. I could see people being stuck in traffic, putting the parking break on then not paying attention and causing one issue or another.

I could be completely wrong though, maybe it was just a costly feature to program, who knows.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts