Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered two weeks ago now have to travel from Aberdeen to Glasgow on Sunday to pick it up 360 mile round trip!
I am trading-in my BMW i3 Rex so no problem getting to Glasgow just hope the Ioniq can make it back to Aberdeen with just two fast charges.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Was it a factory order or was it one available from stock?

Just ask as I placed an order on Tuesday for one, and haven't been given a date yet, but told its a factory order and to expect a 12-14 week wait.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah, sounds like you missed the boat - literally - there's a load on a boat from Korea at the moment due for mid Jan delivery. My EV (blue, Premium SE) and a fair few other forum users' cars are on it. 12-14 weeks was the factory order timeline

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum Bob

interesting change, I3 to Ioniq EV, can you give us an insight into the reason you chose the Ioniq over a new i3?

which spec you got?

which colour?
Thank for the welcome.
I think the answer to your question is that I am not a "barge snob" as a lot of BMW drivers are. I think BMW have a lot of quality control problems with their I3 (just look at the i3 forum), plus my i3 is nearly out of warranty. BMW parts and labour costs are horrendous, so decided to go for something with a longer warranty, plus I have both heard and read good reports regarding Hyundai cars.
I went for the "premium model" in white because in my experience white cars say cleaner longer and I don't think paying more for ventilated seats and blind spot detection is worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I ordered it I asked the sales guy how long it would take for delivery he said there were three in the country and he booked one of them. So I guess the answer to your question is that it was in stock.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
exact reasons I went for the premium hybrid, the additional cost didn't give me the value as the ventilated seats etc would likely not be used, that said I thought the same about the heated steering wheel, but I have used it a couple of times when frosty and it is good :)

the wife won't let me have a white car, I have a bad track record with them, so i got the marina blue

I know what you mean about the badge snobs, I used to have a skoda, and when I posted on the forum 2 years ago I was changing to a Hyundai it was "your getting a cheap KOREAN car!!!!!, why would you want one of those when you could have an expensive VAG german car".

VAG now also have quality issues (ignoring dieselgate) the early TSi engines have issues with timing chains stretching, oil consumption etc, all leading to very expensive repairs out of warranty

all manufacturers have issues, currently (touch wood) not seen any major issues reported on Hyundai forums, the warranty says a lot, 5 year unlimited mileage for Hyundai, 3 year 60,000 miles for VAG

who has more confidence I their product? Hyundai or VAG

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Bluecar 1 thanks for your reply. It gives me a bit more confidence in my decision. Heading down to Stirling tomorrow afternoon, staying the night and picking up car on Sunday.
Just hope I can operate the Sat Nav so I can input charging stations before I leave for the journey back to Aberdeen.
I have looked online for a Sat Nav manual but no luck so far.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the sat nav is quite intuitive, enter your destination post code, then you can add waypoints of the charging points,( the sales person should be able to help you set them destination waypoints)

when you hit a certain charge level (not sure what it is as I have the hybrid) it will offer to find the nearest charge point

the hybrid does this when fuel gauge goes in the red, then flashes the red bit of the fuel gauge when it thinks you have less than 10 miles remaining and starts getting more insistent you feed it perol

looking at Glasgow to aberdeen, you should do it with a single fast charge at Dundee, most are reporting minimum 110 miles on a charge so a 160 - 180 mile run should be easy, looking on Charge Point Map | Greener Scotland seems to be plenty of free charge points on the route

one thing about the EV you don't have to worry about running in the ICE like those of us with the hybrid :(

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I agree, option 3 is best,

option 1 and he is deep in a manual trying to work out how all the toys work is next

option 2 would be very embarrassing (especially as he owned an i3 (range extender) )

there is a 4th option, his trouble and strife decided he has had two days to go to Glasgow to pick up and play with his new toy he now has to catch up on his chores indoors before he is allowed out to play again

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha, ha Bob is back home after an eventful journey on the way down!

I left on Saturday to drive down to Stirling (overnight stay) then on to Glasgow on Sunday morning.
Just past Stonehaven decided to switch the range extender on and got the dreaded "Drivetrain error", its very common!

I was able to continue my journey, just got the message to "go to BMW service ASAP".

Arrived at Dundee and tried to charge the car and got a faulty charger message!

Carried on and arrived in Stirling with a thimble full of dino juice and a near flat battery.

Next morning, managed to charge to around 30% before the car told me there was fault and couldent charge any further. You can imagine my language.

Carried on bravely to Glasgow and arrived at dealers, once again by the skin of my teeth.

The i3 cost in excess of £30 grand has only 13000 miles on the clock and has a full service record.

Conclusion: BMW need to up their quality control.

More tomorrow on my journey from Glasgow to Aberdeen in my Ioniq.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The journey home from Glasgow in the new Ioniq:
After waiting from 10am until 11am, the salesman arrived, invited me inside to complete a mountain of paperwork. As I was buying the car outright though you only had to do this when buying on credit or leasing.

Anyway, after a quick explanation of the cars controls I was on my way at 12 am with the car fully charged.

Stopped at Stirling for a coffee (not offerd any at dealers) and plugged the car in for a quick top-up.

After setting the sat-nav, left Stirling at 13:00 heading (nervously) to Dundee, thinking will the sat-nav work and will the car make it, will the charger work!

Arrived Dundee (starting to love the car) to find not one but two Nissan Leaf's, one on charge the other waiting. After waiting 10 minutes the guy charging arrived back from walking his dog. The other Leaf hooked up but only took 20 minutes.

Charged to 95% and on my way to Stonehaven, quick 20 minute top up and planned to top up charge again in Aberdeen (I live 40 miles north of Aberdeen).

Arrived Aberdeen to find I had 120 miles left in the battery (really loving the car now), headed for home and arrived just after 18:00 with 75 miles left after travelling 187 miles, tired but happy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glad it went smoothly! Enjoy and keep us up to date on how you're finding it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts