Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Been reading the posts on here over the last few days and have gained a good insight into the pros and cons of the Ioniq.
Having just ordered my Ioniq Hybrid I have a couple of questions.

If your phone is connected to be able to use Apple Carplay does the phone charge while connected or is it a data only connection?

My Ioniq will be replacing my recently written off i40 (hit by tree during a recent storm). The brightness/range of the headlights on the i40 was not very good. Does anyone have experience of the i40 and how does the headlights on the Ionic compare. Or if not how would you describe the brightness/range of the Ioniq headlights.

Thanks

MarJon

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
welcome marjon

please introduce yourself over on the New Member Introductions - Hyundai Ioniq Forum

were the lights on the i40 halogen or HID?

if projector and halogen the 25w HIDs in the Ioniq are way better, as I had projector halogens in my i20, and the difference was night and day between i20 and Ioniq

if the iPhone is connected by cable it should charge even if connected via carplay

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I can confirm it will charge the phone when using Android Auto so it should do with CarPlay

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@bluecar1

I believe they were projector and halogen (the standard lights).
Its good to here the Ioniqs lights are an improvement.
@chunga68

Thanks if the info I was looking at getting a wireless charging case for my iphone but as I will always be using the carplay it looks i don't need to bother as I don't have an issue with always plugging my phone in when i get in the car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I brought my USB type C connector on the test drive today and while connected downloaded Android auto, turned on Google Play Music and Maps. At the end of the test drive, about a half hour or so, I didn't notice any appreciable difference in battery life up or down. I read other folks have problems with losing battery power because there is not much charge coming from the center console USB port. The dealer also did mention this (without my asking or prompting in any way). It seems like for my phone at least the port at least allows it to maintain its charge. My phone did also show a notification that it was charging when I first plugged it in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@DaveAZ

Sounds good for the charging then as the only likely drain on my phone battery will be for the traffic data use and bluetooth music.
I will see how it goes with the cable if i find that the battery is being drained then I can invest in a charging case.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi

Been reading the posts on here over the last few days and have gained a good insight into the pros and cons of the Ioniq.
Having just ordered my Ioniq Hybrid I have a couple of questions.

If your phone is connected to be able to use Apple Carplay does the phone charge while connected or is it a data only connection?

My Ioniq will be replacing my recently written off i40 (hit by tree during a recent storm). The brightness/range of the headlights on the i40 was not very good. Does anyone have experience of the i40 and how does the headlights on the Ionic compare. Or if not how would you describe the brightness/range of the Ioniq headlights.

Thanks

MarJon
Yep, the i40 headlights weren't very good, they could be really bad, particularly on rural roads. They were actually worse than my old Honda Jazz and my wife's Seat Leon. I've not had chance to try the Ionic's yet.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Yep, the i40 headlights weren't very good, they could be really bad, particularly on rural roads. They were actually worse than my old Honda Jazz and my wife's Seat Leon. I've not had chance to try the Ionic's yet.
shame on you, not taking it out for a night drive :p

first thing I did, wife said we needed something the night I got mine, I was "no prob dear" keys in hand and gone, for some reason I took the long way to the supermarket :)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I brought my USB type C connector on the test drive today and while connected downloaded Android auto, turned on Google Play Music and Maps. At the end of the test drive, about a half hour or so, I didn't notice any appreciable difference in battery life up or down. I read other folks have problems with losing battery power because there is not much charge coming from the center console USB port. The dealer also did mention this (without my asking or prompting in any way). It seems like for my phone at least the port at least allows it to maintain its charge. My phone did also show a notification that it was charging when I first plugged it in.
Well that is interesting and disappointing. I have noticed with prior models of iPhones that using a map program with or without streaming, charging could take all day of driving, basically just holding a charge or slightly better. With my iPhone 6S and a regular DC to DC car charger in the lighter outlet, it charges in a big hurry no matter what I'm doing. The Ioniq/Niro comes with at least two USB ports, one of which is in the armrest cubby. I suspect the armrest one is dedicated charging only, no data, so it might be better.

If any of the battery apps for both the iPhone and Android shows charging rates, that would be the easy way to see what these ports are doing. I can't think of any good reason why the USB voltage would be so low but I do know some laptop USB ports are pretty feeble. I'm hoping the under dash USB port is switched off with the ignition key. That auto pauses my iPhone audio (but doesn't stop navigation).

·
Registered
166 Posts
shame on you, not taking it out for a night drive :p

first thing I did, wife said we needed something the night I got mine, I was "no prob dear" keys in hand and gone, for some reason I took the long way to the supermarket :)
I feel suitably admonished ;) ...suffering withdrawal these last 2 days!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had to look up cornering lights as I've never heard that term. I thought you might have been referring to the Ioniq's Dynamic Bending Lights feature. While useful for going around bends as the steering wheel turns, it's not the same as projecting light around the corner when the turn signal is on. What a great idea! Are there aftermarket solutions for such a feature?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't quite understand the difference on the DRLs and 'positioning lights'.

There is the thin band around the headlight and the individual led units in the lower front bumper.

Are the ones with the headlights effectively side lights and the Ones in the bumper DRLs?

Do any get activated etc when turning wheel? I don't think it does, but my golf has positioning lights in VW terms where dogs go on dependent of steering angle.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Are the ones with the headlights effectively side lights and the Ones in the bumper DRLs?
Exactly correct

RichieDan said:
Do any get activated etc when turning wheel? I don't think it does, but my golf has positioning lights in VW terms where dogs go on dependent of steering angle.
No, they do not. DRLs are on all the time, and positioning lights are, quite simply, there to warn of the vehicle's presence at night (like parking lights).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts