Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am curious which apps people use on their phones to find and/or use charging stations.

The following is the list I'm aware of (but have no experience with yet) - can anyone identify which ones work 'best' and those to avoid? I suspect their value depends on the region and manufacturers' charging station

- PlugShare
- Flo
- ChargePoint
- myEVRoute
- Greenlots
- ChargeHub
- Next Charge
- EVDuty
- Electric Circuit
- Sun Country Highway
- WattStation Connect for EV Drivers
- evPark
- Greenlots

While some of the above apps locate or operate a a charging stations, I'm learning that key fobs, passcards, or other things may be needed or preferred - can anyone share their experiences?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I read that in Québec "circuit électrique" network works with Flo network. On their web site, they recommand to have the card (i think RFID) in case of internet network failure. The card should be able to start the charge anyway. In Québec, the "circuit électrique" covers pretty all the province. Québec association for electrique vehicule "aveq.ca" has lot of information about charging stations (all in french). I think electricity is cheaper in Québec than in Ontario. So, you could look for a better place to recharge, just across the bridge. I downloaded Chargehub app and cuicuit électrique app. I prefer chargehub to find where bornes are.

To activate the charge, i will need either le cuicuit électrique app or the circuit électrique card. Circuit électrique card works on Flo network too, so you need only one card for the two networks.

I didn't use it yet. I intend to register with circuit électrique when i get my car, probably next month.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have installed PlugShare, ChargePoint, ChargeHub and FLO on my phone. I have not registered with any of them.

FLO show the least number of stations. You can start a charging session using the phone and pay by credit card. There is a additional $0.5 non member fee per session. I selected "Show stations from other networks" but still only see FLO only network
ChargeHub show more but I can't test the charging since I don't have an account. It can display 18 different networks
ChargePoint show moderate number of stations. You can start a charging session using the app. Payment by credit card or PayPal. There is an $1 non member transaction fee. You can select display ChargePoint, Blink, SemaCharge and EVgo networks
PlugShare show the most number of stations but you cannot start a charging session as this is only a user community driven app not associated to any vendor. It can display up to 9 networks.

Watch out for FLO and ChargePoint they charge a transaction fee if you have not registered even charging is free (Level 2 stations) but I don't think you need the app to activate the charger.

So look like relying on just one app is not enough. Share your experience if you find something that is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a chargepoint installed at home and it works great. I have used a chargepoint on the road with no issues. I tried a flo station recently with disastrous results, the fast charge would not charge (still trying to figure out if is my car or the charger since I was on the phone with support multiple times and they said everything was fine on their end). Tried the level 2, first one did not "click" in, finally the last one worked.

·
Registered
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
714 Posts
I have installed and am registered with:
PlugShare
ChargePoint
Greenlots
ChargeHub
Flo

Plugshare is the most comprehensive for finding stations, ChargePoint is the most popular in my area.

OB

·
Registered
12 Posts
A note somewhat late in the thread but a useful update.
Here in Southern Ontario, the FLO network has begun putting level 3 chargers at most (if not all) "Big Box" Canadian Tire stores and some gas bars as well as at Cadillac Fairview owned Malls. This is a big change in a region that has been ridiculously under-serviced, considering the population density, up until this recent change.
Oddly enough, there is still a "Dead Zone" almost from Oshawa to Cornwall where there are few options and you really can't afford to miss one stop or find one out of order.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts