Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello y'all,

I just got my new IONIQ 2020 last week and have been delighted with its technology and the car itself.
The worse of living in such a north country is the cold weather in winter. From -5C to -20C. My expectation is to drive the car as much as possible on electricity and so use ICE to a minimal if not 0.

To my surprise, the car uses ICE if I use any kind of ventilation with these sub-zero temperatures. A bit of deal-breaker. :(
From my experience, I can only drive in EV mode if the ventilation is OFF. When it's off I get 'Check HEV system' warning..

It's my first PHEV and so I'm still learning and testing it. Not the best season to get the first-ever, but very happy with the purchase.

Looking forward to exchanging some experiences and learn with the community.
If there's anyone living in similar conditions as mine and have a PHEV I'd like to pick your brains on best practices and what you have discovered so far about the car's reaction to the weather.

Cheers,
Paulo

·
Registered
446 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paulo. Glad you are enjoying your new car. The PHEV Ioniq generates cabin heat using the ICE. That is a bit unfortunate if you live in a cold climate, but it is normal car functionality. Some people try to work around this by using the seat heaters and steering wheel heater first.

I have a 2018 US model PHEV Ioniq and I do not get any message when I turn the HVAC system off. If you are getting a 'Check HEV System' message perhaps there is something else going on. It doesn't sound normal. There is a lot of information available on the forum. Perhaps if you searched the forum you might find some useful information. Else I might call the Hyundai dealership.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you are getting a 'Check HEV System' message perhaps there is something else going on. It doesn't sound normal. There is a lot of information available on the forum. Perhaps if you searched the forum you might find some useful information. Else I might call the Hyundai dealership.
Hi & welcome @Paulo_Lopes, your Ioniq sure looks good in white!

I agree with @Jonboy that this 'Check HEV System' message should be checked by a dealer. This simply isn't normal behaviour IMO either.

Have fun exploring, learning & sharing on the forum!
PS Thanks for adding your Location & Signature.(y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments!
Good to have more input on this topic.

I have indeed called the Hyundai dealership when it happened and I'm going to give a look tomorrow. It just seemed to not be an urgent thing for them. :rolleyes:
I also gave a look at the forum and found that some people could not get the car starting after the warning. Some fuse problem.
Fortunately, I can, and it's not so consistent. Let's see what the Hyundai dealership says it was.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,073 Posts
Keep us posted, these 2020s are fairly new and I'm curious what they'll find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the beginning, they couldn't replicate the problem and only updated the air conditioning system.
However, at the second time (with -17 degrees Celcius) the ICE wouldn't start when forced by the ventilation. This time they were able to track the source of the problem. It turns out that the exhaust pipe got frozen. :)
When I challenged the dealer on how to prevent they mentioned that it's not uncommon and that it might happen again, but since they heat up the system with high temperatures it shouldn't happen again soon.

To my surprise, the car uses ICE if I use any kind of ventilation with these sub-zero temperatures. A bit of deal-breaker. :(
I actually hacked the car and found a way to have ventilation without using ICE. I just set up the temperature to 'Low' (as lowest as the system allows). Then I can set the fan to max. without forcing the ICE to work. Cold, but better than window cracked open! :p

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,073 Posts
Wow, that's an unexpected problem! Let's hope that you never encounter it again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts