Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my IQ5 for a couple of months now and I’ve been experiencing random E braking mainly on the expressways when traveling above 60 mph /100kmh.
Its been violent enough that I’ve had to get off the highway as anyone following too closely would have impacted me from the rear.
i now make a habit of switching off forward collision braking at each startup but unfortunately when using cruise control it reengages automatically.

Anyone experience this or managed to get it sorted?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I’ve had my IQ5 for a couple of months now and I’ve been experiencing random E braking mainly on the expressways when traveling above 60 mph /100kmh.
Its been violent enough that I’ve had to get off the highway as anyone following too closely would have impacted me from the rear.
i now make a habit of switching off forward collision braking at each startup but unfortunately when using cruise control it reengages automatically.

Not had any experience of that. In fact in the few places where my Kona was prone to it, the Ioniq 5 has been fine.

Reactions: TimI

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD 20" - Lucid Blue
298 Posts
Not myself, but I recall others having problems related to the driver assistance systems, and there was a software update which was related to this. You can enter your VIN here to look for outstanding campaigns - 10d154 is the code for that software fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is it an issue related to the highway driving assistant? I had, just once, the car braking like mad on the highway when I was testing the HDA when navigating. The system takes into account the speed limits on your route.
I was about to leave the highway as the HDA fiercely started braking, apparently because the speed limit on the exit was limited to 70 km/h instead of the usual 120km/h on the highway. It appears this system is kicking in pretty early and rather unexpectedly. Never used the HDA since then (wasn't a big of that neither).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not Ioniq 5, but I have something like this on my Volt Premiere with ACC. When on the highway, if there is a road sign directly over my lane, I can sometimes detect the brakes getting very momentarily applied, as if it mistook the sign for an obstacle. It freaked me out the first time, but now I expect it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
While I don't have this on my truck, I have the warning buzzer.
If I'm on a tight turning road and cars are parked on the road, it thinks I'm going to crash.
🙄🙄🙄😡😡😡
And for this reason I will NEVER allow my vehicle to record my driving to my insurance agency !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Happened to me a few times on the highway, reacting to a slower moving vehicle in the next lane. I reduced the reaction on the HDA from four to two units, which seems to have stopped it happening. A change of speed limit also causes sudden braking, so I usually set cruise control to a little faster than the actual speed limit (maybe 132 instead of 130 km/h). Seeing as the display always reads at least 3 km/h slower than actual (GPS) speed, that doesn't even count as an infringement.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seeing as the display always reads at least 3 km/h slower than actual (GPS) speed, that doesn't even count as an infringement.
EU law stipulates that the speedometer may not under-read (so you can't get a speeding ticket because the speedo was inaccurate). It is allowed to over-read, by up to 8% AFAIR. Since the relationship between actual speed and indicated speed depends on the tyres and their degree of inflation, car manufacturers deliberately set the speedometer to over-read to avoid breaking the law in extreme situations. In my I5 it's by about 5%, and it was about the same in my previous BMW too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Happened to me a few times on the highway, reacting to a slower moving vehicle in the next lane. I reduced the reaction on the HDA from four to two units, which seems to have stopped it happening. A change of speed limit also causes sudden braking, so I usually set cruise control to a little faster than the actual speed limit (maybe 132 instead of 130 km/h). Seeing as the display always reads at least 3 km/h slower than actual (GPS) speed, that doesn't even count as an infringement.
And sometimes they forget to remove speed restrictions after end of road work.
Also had the opposite in a local village nearby where speed was suddenly (in car nav) set to 100km/h (max legal speed was 50km/h). Luckely I also always uses +1-3km ;)

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred RWD LR Lucid Blue
14 Posts

Were you able to get this issue fixed or looked at? I’ve experienced it a handful of times which is terrifying while driving on the highway and no one is around or near me. I’ve stopped using the adaptive cruise control all together because I’m too scared it’s going to happen again!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Were you able to get this issue fixed or looked at? I’ve experienced it a handful of times which is terrifying while driving on the highway and no one is around or near me. I’ve stopped using the adaptive cruise control all together because I’m too scared it’s going to happen again!
I would contact your dealer. I've never had this happen either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts