Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm planning a 250 mile trip which I've done previously with a fully loaded (and on that occasion, admittedly slightly underpowered) car. Once again I'll be doing this journey in my 2020 PHEV with 5 passengers and a full boot. I'll be at or near the 400 kg mark.

From previous experience, I'm expecting that I might want to use sport mode on some hill climbs but I'd appreciate any thoughts based on the experience of others please from driving long journies fully laden. Should I expect to use sport mode to maintain speed at times or just drive in hybrid mode and let the car work it out?
Many thanks
Richard

·
Registered
558 Posts
From previous experience, I'm expecting that I might want to use sport mode on some hill climbs
I think you are absolutely correct in your supposition, I choose to do that from time to time when I am not fully laden.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I don't believe Sport mode will improve hill climbs generally (especially unladen). However it may help you maintain desired speed uphill on longer passes where the engine itself may not. Requires planning, and switching into Sport mode before such a hill to increase battery charge. That will allow the battery to supply torque uphill for a longer time (being in Sport mode on the actual hill shouldn't matter).

If you are willing to go a slower speed it probably doesn't matter, however having battery be able to assist the engine for any grade or length of hill will reduce the stress on the engine.

The other tip would be to leave last charging point in HEV mode only, to preserve plug in power to be able to assist in hill climbs. In an unladen car, it takes a really long hill to discharge the battery. Somewhat shorter hill if also inclement weather or headwind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the tips guys, I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in
32 Posts
@Rik I will be curious to hear more about your experience on this drive if you have the time to share. Be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts