Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be news to those accustomed to automatics but I have never driven one until the Ioniq.

However, where i park is on a slight incline. If I follow the advice in the manual (stop, apply parking brake, put into park and then turn engine off) when I take my feet off the pedals the car rolls forwards and the gearbox AND brakes take up the strain. This can make it feel a bit more of a pull to get the car out of park when getting back in again and I believe this isnt good for the transmission long term (especially as this is on my drive so it happens a lot/for long periods). Anyhow after googling around i read to apply brake, then parking brake then put into Neutral, remove foot from brake and then put car in park and it does work and make a big difference. I tried various combinations but this works.

Like I said may not be news to many but hopefully will be useful for some

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never really parked on a slope, but it makes sense
It doesnt take much of a slope! I reverse slightly uphill.....hardly that much of an incline but enough to make it put a bit of strain on the transmission I would rather not have had there

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the "parking brake" isn't the best, the first few days I managed to drive off a couple of times without disengaging it, until the car started bong'ing at me
Ive done that too once :) But then the same can be said for most handbrakes on cars nowadays I think

·
Registered
384 Posts
This may not be news to those accustomed to automatics but I have never driven one until the Ioniq.

However, where i park is on a slight incline. If I follow the advice in the manual (stop, apply parking brake, put into park and then turn engine off) when I take my feet off the pedals the car rolls forwards and the gearbox AND brakes take up the strain. This can make it feel a bit more of a pull to get the car out of park when getting back in again and I believe this isnt good for the transmission long term (especially as this is on my drive so it happens a lot/for long periods). Anyhow after googling around i read to apply brake, then parking brake then put into Neutral, remove foot from brake and then put car in park and it does work and make a big difference. I tried various combinations but this works.

It is also my first automatic and I also park daily on a slope. I had the same experience and questions, and came to the same conclusion. So good idea to share that conclusion here!
Although in my experience, when shifting from Neutral to Park, the transmission briefly gets through Rear and the car tends to move rearwards a bit even though parking brake is locked in... So to avoid that, I have to push the brake pedal again just after I released it, before shifting to Park.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Thanks for that Martyn, the closer I get to getting mine (in a week or so) the more nervous I am about the quirks of driving an automatic, this will be my first after driving manuals for 25 years. Any tips like this will be most appreciated.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is also my first automatic and I also park daily on a slope. I had the same experience and questions, and came to the same conclusion. So good idea to share that conclusion here!
Although in my experience, when shifting from Neutral to Park, the transmission briefly gets through Rear and the car tends to move rearwards a bit even though parking brake is locked in... So to avoid that, I have to push the brake pedal again just after I released it, before shifting to Park.
I dont have that problem as I reverse uphill slightly so its perfect in my case but I can see that being an issue!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that Martyn, the closer I get to getting mine (in a week or so) the more nervous I am about the quirks of driving an automatic, this will be my first after driving manuals for 25 years. Any tips like this will be most appreciated.
I was the same! Believe you me after the first few cockups which are nomally around pressing the off button before putting in park etc and having to turn it on then park then off etc you will be surprised how quickly you get used to it!!!!

I had done less than 500 miles in mine and we went out in the gf's manual and I drove....I pulled away and drove the half mile to the first junction and she promptly pissed herself with laughter as I stalled it! I had already forgotten you had to press the clutch when you come to a stop!!!!

I dont miss the manual box at all and would likely never have another now.

If you have the mindset to drive economically and get the most out of the car then I believe it makes you a better driver as a result.

I think on mine:

I have set the ACC to slow as per bluecars comments.
I use the ACC distance on two blocks.
I set the mpg to reset on fuelups
I set LKAS to active (but only use it on motorways/dual carriageways/large A-roads)
Most other stuff is on standard settings I think

·
Registered
167 Posts
incrediblechunk - just remember to put your left foot on the footrest, or close to the seat, and forget you ever had left leg :D

I too am new to owning AT, despite occasionally driving one (like my dad-in-law's Pajero), but it's a different thing to jump into AT once in a blue moon than driving DCT daily :)
I guess my DCT motorcycle doesn't count, lol.

martinhj - thanks for the tip, gotta try it out next time I'm on an incline. Awesome tip!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
incrediblechunk - just remember to put your left foot on the footrest, or close to the seat, and forget you ever had left leg :D

I too am new to owning AT, despite occasionally driving one (like my dad-in-law's Pajero), but it's a different thing to jump into AT once in a blue moon than driving DCT daily :)
I guess my DCT motorcycle doesn't count, lol.

martinhj - thanks for the tip, gotta try it out next time I'm on an incline. Awesome tip!
It works a treat! But I take no credit I stole it off google :) having tried various combinations...this was the only one that worked properly!

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, this has got me thinking. I usually park facing down hill on a reasonably steep hill. When I come to leave I often have to reverse back up the hill a bit as cars will have parked in front of me. Do I enter car, apply foot brake, start car, remove parking brake, change to reverse and then as I ease off the foot brake will the car do the work for me and ensure I don't slip down the incline without applying acceleration (which is obviously still easing off the accelerator)?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, this has got me thinking. I usually park facing down hill on a reasonably steep hill. When I come to leave I often have to reverse back up the hill a bit as cars will have parked in front of me. Do I enter car, apply foot brake, start car, remove parking brake, change to reverse and then as I ease off the foot brake will the car do the work for me and ensure I don't slip down the incline without applying acceleration (which is obviously still easing off the accelerator)?
I tend to get in the car and put right foot on brake and once i have it on the brake, take the parking brake off whilst starting the car.

I cant say I have tried steep hills but the car does have hillstart assist I believe also. In our manual i20 this is blindingly obvious.....you take your foot of the brake on and the car has applied the brakes regardless of what you are doing with the clutch (it only holds it on steep inclines either forwards or backwards and it only does it for a couple of seconds which is plenty). In the i20 where I have a habit of just letting the car roll forwards you kind of reverse then wait to roll forwards and it goes nowhere for a few seconds!!!!!

Now on the auto I believe that on a steep hill transitioning from brake to accelerator could maybe cause the car not to hold its position as the creep may not be enough on a very steep hill (I think I read this somewhere) but in that instance the hill start assist would hold it in the brief periods of foot transition......Actually I never have the issue I have with the i20 because I move from reverse to drive in the ioniq and not lazily just press the clutch that isnt there to roll

So yes...you should just pop it into reverse and move from brake to accelerator and be fine :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I too was concerned about this and my drive is on big slope. I used to park my old manual car and apply hand brake and also leave in gear so if handbrake failed it should stop it rolling down.

With the Ioniq I stop on drive and pressing brake pedal I change to neutral and apply the parking brake using the foot pedal. I take my foot off the brake pedal to check the foot brake is holding the car. I then press on the brake pedal again and apply park gear and then switch off. I then take foot of brake pedal and check car still holding.

Probably excessive but I worry about it. I have noticed a couple of times when applying foot brake it hasn't held the car and it rolled slightly but I noticed this was when car had four people in and boot full. I think the additional weight must have caused this.

I also note that when I start in the morning I have my brake pedal pressed and after releasing the foot brake and then applying reverse gear. It rolls slightly until I gently press on the accelerator. I have got used to how much throttle I need to put on it now when setting off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Laugh. I've been driving automatics for 20 years and it still throws me that the Ioniq's parking brake control (at least in the US HEV) is where I'm used to seeing a clutch pedal. Since I park on a lateral incline the car doesn't roll backward or forward, but for the sake of safety I still use the brake. Earlier cars' transmissions seemed to like it so I figure this one will too.

The US version will not start unless the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Y have tested this on my Ioniq and it will do exactly that . Will not let the car go downhill or uphill if it is completely still. And when you ease you foot from the brake will start backing up.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Haven't tried it myself on the Ioniq because I live in one of the few flat areas of the valley . I did try it on my previous car and there was no problem reversing using HSA . I find the HSA in the Ioniq better so , I should imagine , the same will apply

1 - 18 of 18 Posts